SJU SWA changed our flight home to 4:30 pm

keishashadow

:rolleyes: now we have lots of time to 'kill' that day. No earlier options, they cancelled our original flight.

at this point, trying to figure out how to proceed as it pertains to our luggage.

doesn't appear that Celebrity offers luggage valet out of SJU (likely due to agricultural inspection? idk).

I really don't want to be waiting around the terminal for our color to be called with such a late departure, as we experienced with CCL.

Two tours are listed on the Celebrity site (Bacardi & Rainforest one). There is a proviso stated that it is independent operator and Celebrity is not responsible for travel delays. The rainforest one sounds most interesting but it's cutting it close time wise as to latest flight they recommend. We do have TI but DH really needs to be back to work the next day.

I recall the other main dock in OSJ has a luggage storage option nearby in a bar/restaurant. Perhaps it might be worthwhile to grab a cab there, store luggage, then walk around OSJ for the day & then grab a cab back to airport...even if it involves some maneuvering.:confused:

Has anybody dealt with this? Any suggestions are most welcome.:)

Edited by keishashadow

[quote name=keishashadow;44466143I recall the other main dock in OSJ has a luggage storage option nearby in a bar/restaurant. Perhaps it might be worthwhile to grab a cab there' date=' store luggage, then walk around OSJ for the day & then grab a cab back to airport...even if it involves some maneuvering.:confused:

Has anybody dealt with this? Any suggestions are most welcome.:)[/quote]

That's exactly what I was going to recommend. :) Taxi to Barranchina in Old San Juan, the restaurant will hold your luggage. There are lots of great places to grab lunch (including Barranchina). Shop, stroll, maybe a couple cocktails or beers:D Of course the forts are right there if you haven't been to one or both of them. The rain forest is nice but I think it would make for a hectic day getting there and back.

I, too, think that the rainforest excursion is too chancy. The Bacardi one is fun, but with a whole day to kill, probably not enough entertainment for most people.

I wouldn't rent a car. Traffic in/around OSJ is horrendous.

Another option is to rent a room, or buy a day pass, at a nice hotel, and have a beach day. The Marriott has a nice beach and good facilities. Any hotel will hold your bags. Most have courtesy rooms where you can shower, if you go with the day pass.

I would either do the Barrachina/OSJ option, or the hotel beach day, depending on your interests.

Edited by CoralReef

We've done the Barrachina luggage drop off for a 2:30 pm flight, but on a previous trip with a 6:00 pm flight we booked a room at the Caribe Hilton for $85 on Priceline. Four of us used all the facilities, including the beach and swimming pools, and we even had the room for showering and changing before the flight home. They even allowed us to check in to the room as soon as we arrived in the morning.

we are at the Caribe the night before our cruise during what I'm told is crazy busy time (week of NYE) in San Juan.

I considered booking room our departure day but thought we might not be able to take access to whatever room prior to standard check-in time.

will try contacting hotel to see if they can accommodate us with a day room, considering they can flip the room if necessary once we depart...worth a shot.:)

Great ideas here.

Mr Sloop & I have Galen in love with Old San Juan, having spent a few days there before our Southern Caribbean Cruise (the Summit) in 2013

Have not been to the Bacardi Facility... But have read on TripAdvisor that many found the ship tours to be expensive / rip off

Luggage storage is certainly an issue... Check your Roll Call & Ports of Call Forum for suggestions

Maybe getting a day room is a good choice if you can swing it. Check online (Google - Day Rooms San Juan) or check with Hotels you are a Loyalty Member of, or contact Hotels you might be interested in (know that Hilton Hotels often do this). Caribe Hilton is a beautiful hotel / property... If you ask for a room with 2 double beds, you can legally split the cost with another couple (again use your Roll Call).

Or a Day Pass... Know in the Caribbean some Hotels issue Day Passes. The Caribe has a very extensive waterfront / pool etc area... So they might offer that.

Caribe Hilton has fabulous amenities... And well located on Condado Lagoon... Really in the mid point of all 3 locations you need... PanAmerican Pier - Airport - and Historic Old San Juan.

In SJ taxi fares are set by zones... So no chance for anyone ripping you off.

Another nice bonus

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Ps... Just want to hang out all day at the Caribe Hilton... You can still get in a wee bit of History... As there is a smaller historic fort on site (San Geronimo)

http://www.caribehilton.com/image_gallery/

And the Hotel has a rich history in its own right (pop into Morton's Steakhouse, and ask to see the Wall of Fame... Truly amazing)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribe_Hilton_Hotel

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

was just coming back to say I emailed the Caribe Hilton asking if they could offer us any sort of accommodation. will post back as to their response. I used a combo of points & cash to book the one night we required. Hilton isn't our primary hotelier, just basic status with their rewards program.

I did a search for day rooms in San Juan & a 3rd party was offering the Marriott (no room) but usage of facilities, outdoor shower & bathroom/dressing area for $35 pp

thanks for the helpful links!

we really enjoyed OSJ. Our first trip we stayed at the Sheraton & walked our luggage over to the ship:D then explored OSJ. No such luck this time. Was planning on taking a taxi over to walk around a bit pre-sail away after we board the ship and grab a quick lunch.

Renting a car means getting to the airport first....while nothing is that far away from the Pan AM pier it does eat up some time. The drive to the Rain Forest takes close to an hour each way depending on traffic. It is nice to see but....not sure if the time fits with a 4:30pm departure.

A few years ago we did a ship excursion going to the rainforest because we had a late departure. They took the luggage to the airport and dropped us off at the airport. It worked out very well. Renting a car is not very practical because of the short time and cost.

A few years ago we did a ship excursion going to the rainforest because we had a late departure. They took the luggage to the airport and dropped us off at the airport. It worked out very well. Renting a car is not very practical because of the short time and cost.

Good points.

Plus having been to San Juan, PR now several times to be honest I am not sure I WOULD WANT TO Drive there.

It is not mainland North America !!

People drive like crazed maniacs... Every car (even the nice ones) have bangs & dents from mishaps.

One day while sitting in a cafe we watched a guy park his car and not just "tap" but bang / dent another car hard, then walk away. We mentioned it to our waiter (as in should this be reported to someone in Authority) and were told it was the norm for the island... Definitely explains all the bent up cars we saw

Yikes :eek:

On the flip side... While walking around Old San Juan we did find drivers courteous to Pedestrians / Tourists ... Drivers would stop to let folks cross the road... Don't know if it is the Law or a Custom, but we were impressed

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

the Caribe Hilton initially responded they wouldn't be able to provide us with confirmed availability for a day room until we check in pre cruise.

I inquired as to just stowing our luggage there for a few hours upon on return, pre flight and was told for a fee they can accommodate us.

Doesn't sound like the Caribe Hilton wants your business. No pre-arranged day pass? Fee for storing bags? Most good hotels will store bags any time, and all it costs is a tip for the bellmen.

I would be looking at other hotels for your post-cruise day. The Marriott Stellaris is really nice, and the $35 quote for that property is very reasonable, IMHO.

Edited by CoralReef

Doesn't sound like the Caribe Hilton wants your business. No pre-arranged day pass? Fee for storing bags? Most good hotels will store bags any time, and all it costs is a tip for the bellmen.

I would be looking at other hotels for your post-cruise day. The Marriott Stellaris is really nice, and the $35 quote for that property is very reasonable, IMHO.

the irony is we would've tipped more per bag than the charge they quoted.:rolleyes:

this location doesn't seem to be particularly popular with the higher status Hilton reward guests (of which I am not), have read many complaints about it and the Condado and how the overall attitude & service is not the norm.

We've always been happy staying at Hilton properties in the past. If I didn't have a great rate I booked long ago via combo of points & cash, I'd likely book elsewhere.

Edited by keishashadow

We tried checking our bags at the El San Juan Resort once. The doormen would not accept them under any circumstances, even when we explained we'd like to use the hotel's bar & restaurant. We were allowed to take our bags with us into the open air restaurant there and we spent a couple hours at a table there enjoying the buffet brunch and the view of the pool and beach area. But they also made it clear we were not invited to head out to the pool or beach area which were for hotel guests only even if we were going to be paying customers at the bars in these areas. This was several years ago so things could have changed since then.