Formal Nights on Carnival Conquest - Question

SoonerOne

Ok, so I am new to cruising. What is the appropriate formal dinner wear for men, as well as women? I've got a a husband who does not look forward to dressing up for dinner. He wears dress slacks and sport shirts every day to work. Does he need a blazer and tie for these more formal dinners?

And what do women wear, how formal? Thanks, I appreciate your input and forgive me if this has been discussed many times before. I've never been on a cruise and want to dress appropriately. :)

Both your "Welcome Aboard" brochure and the Carnival website have the dresscode for formal and non-formal nights. For nonformal evenings his slacks and a collared shirt will be fine. For formal nights either a dark suit or tux are appropriate.

Enjoy your cruise!

You do not need to make your husband wear a tux or dark suit. A blazer or sportscoat with tie will be acceptable on most mass market cruiselines. Also you may want to wear a gown or cocktail dress; however, a dressy pants suit or dressy pants or a long skirt and a glitzy top (beaded, silk, satin, lace, etc.) is also acceptable. It is not necessary to be formal as others define it to be acceptably dressed on formal nights. Now if you were going on the Queen Mary in the top class, my answer would be different!

It is not necessary to be formal as others define it to be acceptably dressed on formal nights.

How about just "formal" as the cruiseline defines it? Going straight to the source, the Carnival website: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Dress_Requirements.aspx

Is there a dress code for the dining room?spacer.gifDepending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

Looks like Carnival does allow a sportscoat with tie & slacks on "formal" night.

I was on the Carnival Valor two weeks ago, she's a Conquest class ship. Formal night most people dressed formally. However, there were quite a number who did not 'dress up'. No one was out of place. Everyone looked nice. If you are comfortable and you are enjoying yourself then that's what matters.

Your husband will not look out of place with a dress shirt and pants on any night. You will be fine in a nice slack suit or cocktail dress.

Archived