Sydney Questions

ssbeagle

Many cruise critics have gotten very good prices for the Marriott Sydney Harbor via Priceline (including us last year). It's within walking distance of the harbor...we walked our luggage to the ship the morning we boarded. Suggest you do a search on this forum for lots of Sydney hotel suggestions in the past. have a great trip

It depends on what cruise line you are booked on. Most ships leave from Circular Quay, however, Holland America leave from Darling Harbor. Sydney is very easy to get around using public transportation. You are correct about tipping in Sydney, it is normally not done or expected. If you google "Bed and Breakfast - Sydney" you will find what looks like a nice one in the Rocks area which is walking distance to Circular Quay. Have a great cruise.

Jon

It depends on what cruise line you are booked on. Most ships leave from Circular Quay, however, Holland America leave from Darling Harbor. Sydney is very easy to get around using public transportation. You are correct about tipping in Sydney, it is normally not done or expected. If you google "Bed and Breakfast - Sydney" you will find what looks like a nice one in the Rocks area which is walking distance to Circular Quay. Have a great cruise.

Jon

The Holland America 6 Dec cruise is actually leaving from Circular Quay, it was originally leaving from Darling Harbour. Check for the following schedule for your cruise: http://www.sydneyports.com.au/port_operations/cruise_schedule

There is many good hotels around circular Quay, most are 5 star and expensive. The city centre isn't far away.

What sort of budget are you looking at?

The Holland America 6 Dec cruise is actually leaving from Circular Quay, it was originally leaving from Darling Harbour. Check for the following schedule for your cruise: http://www.sydneyports.com.au/port_operations/cruise_schedule

There is many good hotels around circular Quay, most are 5 star and expensive. The city centre isn't far away.

What sort of budget are you looking at?

We are sailing on Princess in Oct 2010 from Sydney. I am looking probably at a Marriott or similar type hotel.

There are always plenty of taxis out front of the airport in Sydney, and will take you into the city for around $40-$50. A private car would cost much more. And no, tipping is not usual or expected in Sydney, or anywhere in Australia.

We are sailing in 3 weeks from Warf 8, Darling Harbor and we are staying at the Four Points Sheraton. Can't wait.

We are just going to take a taxi after our 14 hr. flight as I don't think I am going to want to wait around for a bus to fill up. Should be around $40 as I am told.:eek:

There are always plenty of taxis out front of the airport in Sydney, and will take you into the city for around $40-$50. A private car would cost much more. And no, tipping is not usual or expected in Sydney, or anywhere in Australia.

How many people will a taxi carry with luggage?

A maximum of 4 people, and however much luggage can fit (probably 3 large pieces). We are a family of 5 and always find a maxi taxi which takes up to 11 people and is charged at 1.5 times the normal rate.

Jon

Actually it depends on availability. Holland America also leave from Circular Quay

Most of the Sydney taxis run on LPG, so a lot of boot (trunk) space is taken up by the the gas canister. So they may not be able to fit the luggage for 4 people. Try and get a station wagon or similar. There are attendants to help people with taxis at the airport - they will ask how many people - and no they don't expect a tip.

Try and get a station wagon or similar. There are attendants to help people with taxis at the airport ...
IIRC, there are some taxis that are even bigger. But you may have to wait a little bit for one to come up the queue so that you can be directed to it. This is the marshallers' job, and they are very good at it.

IIRC, there are some taxis that are even bigger. But you may have to wait a little bit for one to come up the queue so that you can be directed to it. This is the marshallers' job, and they are very good at it.

Why are CC members averse to taking taxis? I'm not. It's just that sometimes it's easier and cheaper to use a private company if you have more people than a cab can carry.

Why are CC members averse to taking taxis? I'm not. It's just that sometimes it's easier and cheaper to use a private company if you have more people than a cab can carry.

It is also much cheaper to take a transfer from the airport to your accommodation, if you are travelling alone. You get the Cook's Tour of the city thrown in for free.

Agree it is not the quickest way.

The train is.

The train is quicker but you have to drag your own bags and that is difficult at times.
At most times of the day, a taxi will take about the same sort of time door-to-door as the train, and you don't have the same issue with your bags.

I frequently also get the impression that a train ticket is more expensive than a taxi, but I'm sure that that is just an illusion engendered by the pain of being royally ripped-off by the artificially-inflated train fares to/from the airport. ;)

At most times of the day, a taxi will take about the same sort of time door-to-door as the train, and you don't have the same issue with your bags.

I frequently also get the impression that a train ticket is more expensive than a taxi, but I'm sure that that is just an illusion engendered by the pain of being royally ripped-off by the artificially-inflated train fares to/from the airport. ;)

Oh yes. If you are a local senior, you can travel anywhere on the network for $2.50. However, from the airport it is $2.50, plus $10.00 airport charge.

I try to steer clear of the taxis. Last time we got a taxi from Circular Quay to Potts Point, the driver started to take us on a Cook's Tour, until I pointed out the direction and told him I walk there!

...As distinct from the overly priced taxi fares! ;-)

So, which is the best way for someone who has never been to Sydney much less Australia to get from the airport to their hotel (we are looking at the Circular Cay area)? We are hoping to be able to share with another couple.

So, which is the best way for someone who has never been to Sydney much less Australia to get from the airport to their hotel (we are looking at the Circular Cay area)? We are hoping to be able to share with another couple.

If you are sharing with another couple, definitely by taxi. Just tell the marshaller that you require a station wagon, or a taxi with a large luggage capacity.

Archived