Need guide to tipping in oz & nz

MOYSHA

In the US tipping for service is the normal.

I need a guide as to when,if at all, tipping is expected in Australia and NZ.

We will be staying in hotels, taking excursions with private tour companies, dining in restaurants, etc.

I don't want the wife saying "you should have tipped":( or you should not have tipped":( I want to do the correct thing:rolleyes:

Thanks for your help

We will be staying in hotels, taking excursions with private tour companies, dining in restaurants, etc.

I don't want the wife saying "you should have tipped":( or you should not have tipped":( I want to do the correct thing:rolleyes:

Thanks for your help

Fantastic news - in NZ & Aus tipping is NOT expected at all! Bell Boys take your luggage and don't hang around, cafes often have a "tips jar" where you can throw your change if so inclined, and restaurants, if you are paying by credit card, often have a line for "tips". If you felt the service was exceptional (not average as that's what people are paid for), then by all means tip. A $10 - $20 tip would be considered generous and $5 wouldn't be scoffed at either.

As a Kiwi this is a culture I don't want to see in our Country - though of course respect those where it is. A quick search of P&O Australia forums on tipping will give you an idea of people's thoughts in relation to "compulsory" tipping added to accounts.

Hope this helps - just sing out if you need any other info.

Jo

While it may not be expected, it is starting to be accepted. For example, on our Sydney hotel stay, the tip for the bellhop service was included for arrival, but not for departure. That tells me I was expected to tip when I left. Same for our hotel in Auckland. In Auckland, we hired a private bus to pick up our group from the airport and later a tour from the hotel to the ship. We tipped the driver on both occasions and the tip was gratefully accepted. In Sydney we tipped our bus driver who picked us up from the ship then gave us a "city tour". Apparently he appreciated the tip because he was our driver to the airport three days later. We also had private tours in Dunedin and Tauranga. Both guides were tipped and gladly took the tip - all in US dollars.

While it may not be expected, it is starting to be accepted. For example, on our Sydney hotel stay, the tip for the bellhop service was included for arrival, but not for departure. That tells me I was expected to tip when I left. Same for our hotel in Auckland. In Auckland, we hired a private bus to pick up our group from the airport and later a tour from the hotel to the ship. We tipped the driver on both occasions and the tip was gratefully accepted. In Sydney we tipped our bus driver who picked us up from the ship then gave us a "city tour". Apparently he appreciated the tip because he was our driver to the airport three days later. We also had private tours in Dunedin and Tauranga. Both guides were tipped and gladly took the tip - all in US dollars.

From a resident: Please DO NOT tip in NZ and Australia. We have a good system here, where people are paid a minimum wage and do not need tips to survive. There is no need to reward good service with a tip - service should be good regardless of what a person expects to receive.

We do not want to encourage a culture of tipping here. Of course people will accept a tip if you offer it - they are not stupid!

However, as another poster has said, you will often see a tips jar (for small change, not notes) on the counter of a café. Many larger restaurants automatically add a "service charge", which they claim is a tip for staff.

The only time we might tip is when we tall a taxi driver to "keep the change" for a fare that would require change - for example a $9.50 fare for which a $10 note is given.

Because of the tendency of US visitors to tip, workers in the hospitality industry may be starting to expect tips for them, but not from residents. Your loss!

Tipping here is completely optional and not expected. Of course when they hear an American accent their expectations might rise.

Most people in the hospitality industry actually can make a living from their wages unlike in the US.

I tend to tip taxi drivers (unless they're a crappy driver or rude) because they do it tough. They actually get very little of the fare after they pay for petrol and the use of the car.

For example, on our Sydney hotel stay, the tip for the bellhop service was included for arrival, but not for departure. That tells me I was expected to tip when I left

Actually no, that is to try and guilt you into it.

I know that some Americans think that if not for the anticipation of a tip a waiter has no incentive to give good service - thats not true here.

Bottom line - tip if you want to, but you don't have to. And remember if you do tip it is only to show your gratitude for the service not to make up for paltry wages, so you don't need to tip to the extent (% ) that you do at home.

Having said all that, you will find that food in restaurants is more expensive here than at home - thats to cover the expenses including the wages.

I agree with Celle - please don't encourage tipping in NZ & Oz! It's not that we are tight, we do tip when in countries that expect it, but it is not part of our culture.

Yes, in some of the tourist areas some people have come to expect tips if you have an American accent, but do not feel obliged. The only time we tip is if we feel we have had exceptional service that was way above our expectations.

I have noticed that a number of restaurants now have a space for gratuities on their bills (checks) just cross it out like we Kiwis & Ozzies do.

Having said all that, you will find that food in restaurants is more expensive here than at home - thats to cover the expenses including the wages.

You think so?

When I went to America I was expecting food to be cheaper because they pay such poor wages. I found it to be similar to Australia. Maybe it was just the places we went to. Hence I was wondering why it wasn't cheaper.

I have to agree abut tipping becoming expected here. Really there is no need for it.

My son works in some of the top bars in Sydney and they get good tips.

I hate the practice that's beginning here with tip jars etc,. Even when I get my nails done there is a jar on the table with $5 notes in it. If I left $5 that would be a 20% tip.

I believe in the "when in Rome" philosophy.

Tipping in Australia and NZ is not the norm and is not expected.

That said, tips are often offered in restaurants where the waiter/waitress has given extra service. There is no "rule" as to when or how much ... sometimes I have left 10%, sometimes $10, sometimes just the loose change (which might be up to $10 depending on what change is given ... note that $1 and $2 are coins here), but more often than not, I leave nothing ... it all depends on how I feel at the time about how the person has "added value" to restaurant experience.

People often (but again not universally) leave a small tip in pubs/bars but this will generally only be the small loose change they get when buying a drink.

Similarly, lots of people round up taxi fares to save on waiting for change (eg $20 for an $18.60 fare or $40 for a $38.60 fare) but again, this only tends to be done if the driver has added value to the trip ... it is certainly not automatic.

Cheers

Bob

I too agree with what everyone has said. We do not tip except if we have had exceptional service and we always round our taxi fare to the next dollar.

I personally do not want tipping to become a part of our life. Everyone receives a good wage and therefore tipping is not required. Of course, if you tip or you have an American accent, the porters, waiters etc. will be hovering around knowing that tipping is a way of life in the States. It is only human nature to think that you may receive something for nothing.

I don't think our food is expensive down here in Oz. Sydney is more expensive than Melbourne but we can still get fabulous food for a reasonable price. We have wonderful fresh products which we only appreciate when we go overseas and try to find somewhere decent to eat.

We are definitely the "Lucky Country" in more ways than one.

Jennie

Well unlike all of the other posters, I do tip here in Australia. We dine out regularly with friends and always leave at least a 10% tip. Its totally a personal decision but it is what we chose to do. The only time that I wouldn't tip is if I received poor service but thankfully I cannot remember the last time that happened.

I agree with the general consensus. I do to "throw in extra" for good service etc. I feel like the visiting tourists are causing a lot of staff to expect tips from everyone. When we visit the states we are told we must tip at at least 10% for like 15% otherwise we are stingy people and don't respect the culture. So when tourists come here please respect our culture and understand their wage is designed to make tips a bonus and not a necessity.

Very well said Aussiedisneyfan!! "So when tourists come here please respect our culture and understand their wage is designed to make tips a bonus and not a necessity."

Waiters, porters etc all get a good wage and it doesnt need to be supplemented by tips. Tipping is a culture that I personally hate as I dont want to offend any one but also dont want to be 'overly' generous.

Notentirelynormal - no one is not going to take your tip that would be rude and they are not silly - tipping is not expected and not a wanted custom here. All fees and wages are built into the price so please do not tip.

My wife and I moved here to Sydney in July and have found the absence of tipping to be quite an effective way of running customer service. The tipping scene is completely out of control in North America, and has lost its value since it is expected and is basically an additional tax.

So, North Americans need to remember when looking at prices here that you don't have to add an additional tip on top. Also, many don't know that most prices include the tax, so if you buy a shirt that is marked for $20, it really is only going to come to $20, not $20 plus a few dollars. Not only that but the exchange rate is great for North Americans right now. I'd recommend taking what you save by not tipping (outside of the cruise ship itself, of course) and spend it on another shore excursion or something. The locals won't miss it.

I agree with Celle - please don't encourage tipping in NZ & Oz! It's not that we are tight, we do tip when in countries that expect it, but it is not part of our culture.

Yes, in some of the tourist areas some people have come to expect tips if you have an American accent, but do not feel obliged. The only time we tip is if we feel we have had exceptional service that was way above our expectations.

I have noticed that a number of restaurants now have a space for gratuities on their bills (checks) just cross it out like we Kiwis & Ozzies do.

KiwiAnn:

How about room maid, I always tip $1.00/day when we stay in the hotels anywhere we visit, so is it unnecessary to tip?

I also found out from websites that Australian and N.Z. restaurant foods are way more expensive than North America, that may reflects the staff are earning descent wages.

Ricky

KiwiAnn:

How about room maid, I always tip $1.00/day when we stay in the hotels anywhere we visit, so is it unnecessary to tip?

I also found out from websites that Australian and N.Z. restaurant foods are way more expensive than North America, that may reflects the staff are earning descent wages.

Ricky

Yes, it is unnecessary to tip. Please do not do it.

As for the food - if you use a US credit card to pay for your meals, the NZ and Aussie dollar are now so low against the US dollar that you will be getting a bargain!

Yes, it is unnecessary to tip. Please do not do it.

As for the food - if you use a US credit card to pay for your meals, the NZ and Aussie dollar are now so low against the US dollar that you will be getting a bargain!

Celle:

We are from Canada and will be using $ AUD and N.Z. while in your countries.

We will dine at Orbit and Sydney Tower revolving restaurants. I plan to ask the servers to take photos for us. I will feel guilty if I don't tip. What is your suggestions?

We will definitely dine in restaurants at Circular Quay and The Rock. I am sure we will ask the servers to take photos for us too. We usuallly make this request when we go restaurants in famous districts. Those two are famous tourist areas, any suggestion as to tip or not to tip. I know this is personal choice, I don't want to offend your culture or tradition. :confused:

Ricky

Celle:

We will dine at Orbit and Sydney Tower revolving restaurants. I plan to ask the servers to take photos for us. I will feel guilty if I don't tip. What is your suggestions?

We will definitely dine in restaurants at Circular Quay and The Rock. I am sure we will ask the servers to take photos for us too. We usuallly make this request when we go restaurants in famous districts. Those two are famous tourist areas, any suggestion as to tip or not to tip. I know this is personal choice, I don't want to offend your culture or tradition. :confused:

Ricky

I bet they will take your photos for you with a smile on their face and the only thing they would expect in return is a thankyou.

Linda

Celle:

Ricky

In "landmark" restaurants, taking photos is almost part of a server's job ... they do it all the time. You are not buying their time to take a photo so don't pay them for it and don't feel guilty about it.

If, at the end of the night, you feel that the servers have gone "above and beyond", then feel free to offer a tip, but please do NOT tip people just because it is what you do at home. If you do, you will be to offending our culture and traditions!

Cheers

Bob

Celle:

Ricky

Oh for crying out loud! How many more times? Tipping is neither necessary nor expected. Just smile and say thank you!

This whole attitude of feeling guilty if you don't tip is a North American problem. We don't need it in Australia or New Zealand.

Celle:

Ricky

I read that you are going to Sydney Tower Restaurant. My opinion? DON'T! The food is very average and VERY expensive.

If you want a revolving restaurant, go the the Summit. The food is WONDERFUL there, and much more classy, for a similar price. Also, try ARIA opposite the Sydney Opera House. Sure, not revolving, but AWESOME.

Also, don't tip, just smile and say "Thank you"

I read that you are going to Sydney Tower Restaurant. My opinion? DON'T! The food is very average and VERY expensive.

If you want a revolving restaurant, go the the Summit. The food is WONDERFUL there, and much more classy, for a similar price. Also, try ARIA opposite the Sydney Opera House. Sure, not revolving, but AWESOME.

Just so there is no confusion, Orbit (which the earlier poster mentioned) is the Summit. The correct name for the establishment these days is the Orbit Lounge and Summit Restaurant.

Ricky, other icon restaurants around The Rocks and Circular Quay that you might want to look at include Guillaume at Bennelong (it occupies the southern shell of the Sydney Opera House), Rockpool and Quay (on the top floor of the Overseas Passenger Terminal). All are expensive but are top notch "hatted" restaurants that are regularly rated in the top few in Australia. At the end of the day, though, there are lots of great restaurants around the harbour and city to choose from.

Cheers

Bob

Thanks for all the suggestions. I may just change my mind and not dine at Sky Tower restaurant. Ironically, I tried to make reservation on line. It was rejected because my mobile phone no. (it is a mandatory required field) is not recognizable. I wonder why a mobile phone no. is a must. Then I e-mailed them three days ago. Still haven't received any response. May be they don't want my business. :mad:

Ricky

Thanks for your help

I live in Sydney, Australia and we're going on a Sydney to Auckland cruise on HAL (ms volendam) next Jan. My dilemma is the opposite - tipping is not the norm in Oz and NZ, yet being an American ship the staff probably expect to be tipped? Would it be rude if we do not tip (in addition to the "automatic" tipping charged to our accounts)?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Sue

I live in Sydney, Australia and we're going on a Sydney to Auckland cruise on HAL (ms volendam) next Jan. My dilemma is the opposite - tipping is not the norm in Oz and NZ, yet being an American ship the staff probably expect to be tipped? Would it be rude if we do not tip (in addition to the "automatic" tipping charged to our accounts)?

Sue

No it wouldn't be rude, you don't have to tip in addition to the automatic charged to your account. All drinks purchased in the bar also have an automatic 15% service charge/tip added, so no need to tip the bar staff.

Sue

Hi Sue, you will be tipping automatically (onto your account and every time you buy a drink) so no need whatsoever to offer any additional tips to staff.

In the same circumstances, though, if I receive extra special service from a particular staff member, I also give them something in the hand as well. That way, I feel as though I have rewarded them for what they have done for me.

I have no such feeling with the automatic tipping system, which to me is more like a fare surcharge than a tip. What you pay is put into a pool and then distributed, using some fancy formula to all hotel staff (housekeeping and food), including people who might have given me poor service and who I don't want to reward. Yes, I could go to the purser's office and get the auto tips canceled and then hand out cash to those I want to, but the problem is that those staff are obliged to put what I give them into the pool. I therefore pay the auto tips and then, if I want to, give some extra cash in hand to anyone who has made my cruise extra special ... I am told that in these circumstances, they don't have to put this extra tip into the pool.

Cheers

Bob

Archived