Do last minute upgrades happen anymore?

mfs2k

Before there were "Upgrade Fairy Phone calls" from Carnival offering to sell you an upgrade at a cheap price, Carnival used to upgrade guests at the last minute.

Twice in the past, I was upgraded from a balcony cabin to a Junior Suite at the last minute. I found out about it the week before sailing.

I'm sailing on Glory in a few weeks and booked in a specific balcony cabin, and was wondering if there's any likelihood of a last minute upgrade to an unsold suite. I'm guessing they only upgrade passengers who aren't assigned specific cabins.

To me, an upgrade is moving from one category to another (inside to Oceanview; Oceanview to Balcony, etc) , and not moving from one floor to another higher floor within the same category. Even though Carnival charges more for higher floors, I don't think anyone really considers this an upgrade, per se.

Does anyone have any surprise upgrade stories?

Before there were "Upgrade Fairy Phone calls" from Carnival offering to sell you an upgrade at a cheap price, Carnival used to upgrade guests at the last minute.

Twice in the past, I was upgraded from a balcony cabin to a Junior Suite at the last minute. I found out about it the week before sailing.

I'm sailing on Glory in a few weeks and booked in a specific balcony cabin, and was wondering if there's any likelihood of a last minute upgrade to an unsold suite. I'm guessing they only upgrade passengers who aren't assigned specific cabins.

To me, an upgrade is moving from one category to another (inside to Oceanview; Oceanview to Balcony, etc) , and not moving from one floor to another higher floor within the same category. Even though Carnival charges more for higher floors, I don't think anyone really considers this an upgrade, per se.

Haven't heard of a free upgrade for many years.:'(

I think it would be very, very rare to get a free upgrade these days. Upsells are the way they go now.

And I agree with you that moving up a floor is not an upgrade.

OP is not talking about free- "offering to sell you an upgrade at a very cheap price."

All I can tall you is that he/she is called the Upsell Troll for a reason now. Know your prices and know them well. Ask to take 10 minutes to check. I stupidly upgraded from an aft facing on Miracle to an HC Grand Suite last year for way too much money. It was nice to have the extra room but the HC factor was a PITA and I missed the aft a LOT. The suite perks are almost nonexistent.

So: know your numbers in case the troll pays a visit :rolleyes:.

actually, I meant free.

The upgrades I got years ago were free from Carnival at the last minute.

They weren't upsells..

I guess that doesn't happen anymore..

The only free upgrade I've heard about in the last couple years is while on the Triumph (the cruise before the fire), a gentleman and his wife were in an inside on main and their cabin flooded, so they moved them up to a balcony on empress... Of course, this was an accidental upgrade, but you get it ;)

I've not even received a call about a paid upgrade in a VERY long time.

I called about an upgrade 3 weeks before our last cruise.

Went from an 8B-balcony to an OC for $400.

It was worth every penny to have the extra sink and dressing area. I finished getting ready while DH was showering.

Also we got priority boarding.

We have sailed on Carnival four times, but never have been offered a free upgrade. We had an interesting experience with the Upsell Fairy.

In 2011 we had booked a Grand Suite with an extended balcony on the Carnival Ecstasy. We got a call offering us a upsell to the Penthouse Suite (also called the Owner's Suite) when she still sailed out of Galveston, TX.

There are only two of these gigantic suites on the ship. We had been on the Ecstasy before and never realized they were there. The cabin measures 916 sq ft and the balcony 110 sq ft. :eek:

Most people don't even know they are there because they are sort of out of the way and tucked out of sight. It was and upsell not a free upgrade, but since it was our anniversary, I said yes. To me, it was worth every penny! :D

My wife took pictures and posted them on her personal website. You can see them at the link below.

http://nancysoasis.com/OS/OS.html

I also got the free upgrade years ago. One time we were upgraded free when we checked in. Ocean view to balcony, I believe. My wife still believes it happens and for some reason they will pick us, but never seems to happen. :mad:

But I will add, I do have a friend that was upgraded for FREE a week or two before her cruise (about a year ago) from an inside room to a balcony. They told her at the time that they needed the inside room for a new cruiser that couldn't afford a balcony, so they upgraded my friend to make the inside room available.

Edited by ano

I totally agree.

I was booking a Carnival cruise 2 days ago. It kept saying that there is a free upgrade. All it was is moving an Ocean View room from deck 1 to deck 2. I don't know about others but if I select an Ocean View room I don't really care what deck it's on, what side of the ship its on or if its forward, mid, or aft.

An upgrade should be like you say, interior to ocean view...ocean view to balcony...etc...

Our cruise in August will be our 6th with Carnival. We have never had a free upgrade or even a call from the upsell fairy.

We always book a cabin that we know we'd be happy with. Guess it would depend on the upsell price if we were to take it. But then again...we'd have to get a call :o

We have sailed on Carnival four times, but never have been offered a free upgrade. We had an interesting experience with the Upsell Fairy.

In 2011 we had booked a Grand Suite with an extended balcony on the Carnival Ecstasy. We got a call offering us a upsell to the Penthouse Suite (also called the Owner's Suite) when she still sailed out of Galveston, TX.

There are only two of these gigantic suites on the ship. We had been on the Ecstasy before and never realized they were there. The cabin measures 916 sq ft and the balcony 110 sq ft. :eek:

Most people don't even know they are there because they are sort of out of the way and tucked out of sight. It was and upsell not a free upgrade, but since it was our anniversary, I said yes. To me, it was worth every penny! :D

My wife took pictures and posted them on her personal website. You can see them at the link below.

http://nancysoasis.com/OS/OS.html

Niiiiice!!! :):) Now THAT is a suite!

A few years ago, we were given a free upgrade just days after booking and weeks before sailing from a balcony to a suite. We never knew why. Two ladies with the same last name and both of us were first time Carnival cruisers. We had taken a Princess Alaskan cruise with our husbands a year before and the cruise brands are owned by the same corp. We had booked with a TA who only did cruises and she thought that might have been why. It was a great mystery!

In 2004, we had a group of 10 cabins booked out of Jacksonville, 1 interior, 8 balconies and one suite. They must have either seriously over sold the cruise or had maintenance issues because they moved our entire group to an 8 day out of Fort Lauderdale, upgraded everyone to balconies at no extra charge. Deal of the century!!!

I just got an "Upgrade" for my June 2013 B2B cruises in June on Carnival Glory.

I booked Category 1A, but had two different cabins for each of the cruises. I requested to move me anywhere on the ship if possible so that I could have the same cabin for both cruises. I was upgraded to Category 4B for both cruises so I could have the same cabin. No extra charge.

I don't really consider it an upgrade in cabin because my original was a Port Hole with 1 Twin and Convertable Sofa. My upgrade is to an Inside with 2 Twins/King. Since I'm traveling solo, I prefer the Port Hole with Convertable Sofa. However, I'm very happy with the change because I much rather have the same cabin for both cruises than the Port Hole.

Not quite a last minute upgrade. The reason for the upgrade is to give me the same cabin for both cruises.

I just got an "Upgrade" for my June 2013 B2B cruises in June on Carnival Glory.

I booked Category 1A, but had two different cabins for each of the cruises. I requested to move me anywhere on the ship if possible so that I could have the same cabin for both cruises. I was upgraded to Category 4B for both cruises so I could have the same cabin. No extra charge.

I don't really consider it an upgrade in cabin because my original was a Port Hole with 1 Twin and Convertable Sofa. My upgrade is to an Inside with 2 Twins/King. Since I'm traveling solo, I prefer the Port Hole with Convertable Sofa. However, I'm very happy with the change because I much rather have the same cabin for both cruises than the Port Hole.

Not quite a last minute upgrade. The reason for the upgrade is to give me the same cabin for both cruises.

How is this an upgrade? You are going from a room with a window / porthole to an inside cabin with no window? Thats like a downgrade if you ask me :p

We've done 32 Carnival cruises and have never had an upgrade or even an upsell. Don't hold your breath. I think the more you sail the less likely you'll get any kind of upgrade.

Someone decided to upgrade me from my selected 1A port hole to a 4J last Feb. I was so dissapointed. I never checked to notice that it was changed and actually went to my original cabin and unpacked... and noticed the free drink coupon on the desk wasnt my name.

Very windy and the secret decks were locked 5 plus days of the cruise.. not a upgrade I liked.

I think my TA did it thinking I would prefer the 4J.

Carnival cruise #19 is in two days and I've never heard from the upsell fairy/troll. You guys are just making her up. :p ;)

In 2004 we booked a 6D on the Elation through a large cruise website. I called to inquire about upgrading to a grand suite (old cat 12), but passed as it was too much money. Two weeks later, three weeks before the cruise, we somehow got the upgrade for free.

Meredith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 4 months later...

Damn, just go the call from the upsell Fairy and I should've done what was recommended in a previous post; TAKE THE 10 MINUTES AND RESEARCH BEFORE ACCEPTING.

Turns out that the upsell was exactly what they are charging for any Jo Shmo' to book the balcony they upgraded us to. I'm so upset with myself, since I've been watching the fares everyday and seeing if I would be cashing in on my Early Saver with perhaps some OBC....so much for that. I'm kicking my self. Never again will I agree until I check the prices.... :mad:

There were two cancellations in June on the first leg of our Glory b2b. My Mom and sister moved from a 1A on Riviera to a forward balcony on deck 7. My wife and I went from an interior on Riviera to a aft balcony on 8. We only got them because we were Platinum and we got the call on the way to the port.

There were two cancellations in June on the first leg of our Glory b2b. My Mom and sister moved from a 1A on Riviera to a forward balcony on deck 7. My wife and I went from an interior on Riviera to a aft balcony on 8. We only got them because we were Platinum and we got the call on the way to the port.

Wow! Nice surprse. How much extra?

Damn, just go the call from the upsell Fairy and I should've done what was recommended in a previous post; TAKE THE 10 MINUTES AND RESEARCH BEFORE ACCEPTING.

Turns out that the upsell was exactly what they are charging for any Jo Shmo' to book the balcony they upgraded us to. I'm so upset with myself, since I've been watching the fares everyday and seeing if I would be cashing in on my Early Saver with perhaps some OBC....so much for that. I'm kicking my self. Never again will I agree until I check the prices.... :mad:

Can you call them back and negotiate to get your rate or something better?