Never river cruised before - luggage?

Gemex

We are an older couple who have done a few ocean cruises but now looking for something different.

I would like to know what space is usually provided in a suite/cabin for suitcase storage. Also, do passengers get help carrying luggage on and off boat?

Thanks

On Viking there is plenty of room under the beds for storing luggage. Bags must be stored in the closet. And yes, they will take your bags on board and place them in your room, and take them off the ship to your transportation.

Cheers,

Just an fyi...having been on one of the cruises that had to be aborted because of low water last November..I did see older people struggling with luggage when we were on land and being bussed. Take luggage with wheels! and yes, plenty of room for storage!! We were in the lowest room and had more than enough space in drawers and closest...even with our heavy winter clothing!!

We are an older couple who have done a few ocean cruises but now looking for something different.

I would like to know what space is usually provided in a suite/cabin for suitcase storage. Also, do passengers get help carrying luggage on and off boat?

Thanks

We did a Russian river cruise last Summer. Those cabins are small (110 sq. feet) and we did fine with two large suitcases and two carryons. They collected our empty luggage and returned it to us at the end of the cruise.

We've only sailed with Avalon and they bring the luggage into the rooms and collect it for you at the end to put on the bus to go home. If you're not going home I don't know what the policy is. On Avalon ships there is room under the beds to store luggage. I think you will love river cruising.

We have been on 15 river cruises and never had to take our own leggage on board or off the boat. Even if you use private transport , the crew will take the luggage from you or to the taxi. We have always been able to store luggage in our cabin, but we travel with one 28inch each and a carry on.

Should have put this at the start--welcome to cruise critic and the river cruise board. You will find very helpful people here--always willing to answer any questions. Pat

Thank you very much to all of you for your replies - very helpful. One other question - would you say there is a lot of walking involved at stops or is transport laid on for tours of cities?

I was on AMA last year and had some of that hard sided plastic luggage and it would not fit under the bed due to the thickness, however, there was plenty of room in the closet to store it. Soft sided luggage fits easily under the beds. All luggage was handled by the crew both on and off the ship. Most of the morning tours in the smaller towns are walking tours, walking from the boat into the town. Much of the time the streets are cobbled. There is a slow walkers group but there is still quite a bit of walking involved. There were several days when there was bus transport from the ship to the attractions. Nuremberg for example, was by bus, no real walking involved.

The easy reply to how much walking is there "however much you want to walk" and I'm not trying to be snotty. River cruising is whatever you want to make of it. There will be buses at some places if the castle or cathedral is some distance from where the ship is moored but generally everything is within walking distance. These towns histories are tied to whatever river you're sailing so pretty much everything is close to that river.

Archived