Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Cruise News

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise News Discuss up-to-the minute happenings in the cruise line industry.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Firsthand account of the earthquake

NOTE: We are leaving our hotel in Santiago today to board the Star Princess at Valparaiso. What follows is a very brief summary of our experience:

What can you say about an earthquake far from home?... Not much, except you sympathize with those people who were affected. What can you say about an earthquake far from home that you were involved in?...Read on...

My wife and I were headed to Santiago to rendezvous with the Star Princess in Valaparaiso four days later. We flew out of Newark airport on February 25 during a major snowstorm on the first leg of our flight to Toronto. We arrived in Toronto and faced a three hour delay and left for Santiago, Chile at 2:30AM. We finally landed, finished with customs, picked up our bags and were on our way to our small boutique hotel in the Provedencia section of Santiago. We cheked in, then went out and had a wonderful dinner and toasted each other with these words: "We dodged a major snow storm and thank goodness we're here in Santiago!"

Fast forward...3:34AM,February 26...We were awoken by a loud thunderous sound and the bed began to shake. I thought it was a major thunderstorm. My wife, Shelley, said it must be an earthquake.The horendous loud noises, dogs barking in the street, lamps crashing to the floors, the bed moving, and car sirens blasting, was followed by an erie silence for about a minute or two.The earthquake lasted about 2 minutes.

After it stopped, Shelley sat up on the edge of the bed, while I walked to the bathroom window to look out into the street.I saw nothing--all lights were out--there was no electricity.I opened the door to our room and peeked out as others did the same. We quickly put on our clothes on in the dark(didn´t have my camera to show the various outfits people put together on such short notice!).

We left our room and gingerly walked down the stairs to the street. Some of the hotel guests had flashlights which lit our way. There was no panic from any of the guests. When we got to the street we met our fellow guests. The conversations ranged from "what happened", "is anyone hurt", to "where are the police" and "I left everything in my room". At the urging of Shelley, I went to the room to get our money, passports, etc. I didn´t have a flashlight, but used the screen light from my iTouch, to light the way.(Note to Apple: this could be a great new commercial). One the two staff members, had rushed home to check on his family and who immediately returned to the hotel, moved his car to the front of the hotel and turned on the radio so we could listen to the news reports in Spanish, as a guest translated for us.

The staff set candles, got water, and helped us in every way possible(kudos to Hotel Orly!). The guests bonded. The lights came on briefly and then went out. Nighttime turned into early morning as the aftershocks started.

The people of Santiago were tremendous. Everyone has been helpful. The city had mostly minor damage and as of yesterday, everything was back to normal--stores reopened, subways were running, people were food shopping. Santiago and us were very lucky.

Our hearts go out to others in Chile whose lives have been changed forever by the earthquake. Chile is a strong country and will rebuild.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Wow Rusty - that must have been quite an experience. We found out last night that we are booked for a flight today and will arrive in Santiago tomorrow morning. Hope to see you on the ship. Do you know what the plan is now for a Meet and Greet? We sure would look forward to meeting everyone who makes it.
Barb & Norm

Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:17 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Wow that must have been really frightening, especially being so far from home. Glad you two are OK. I hope the people of Chile recovers from this horrible earthquake quickly.

Sunbird Mediterranean and Africa 07/99, Golden Princess Eastern Caribbean Nov/03, Sun Princess Southern Caribbean Apr/04, Star Princess Western Caribbean Nov/04, Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean Jan/05, Louis Hellenic Calypso Greek Islands Jun/05 Coral Princess Panama Canal Nov 4/05, Dawn Princess Mexican Riviera Jan 29/06, Sapphire Princess US Pacific Coastal May 13/06, Crown Princess Eastern Caribbean Sept 30/06, NCL Crown Bermuda Sept 23/07, Diamond Princess Hawaii Feb. 1/08, Emerald Princess Southern Caribbean Feb. 8/09, Caribbean Princess Canada New England Sept. 5/09, B2B Caribbean Princess Southern Caribbean Jan 24 and Jan 31/09, Crown Princess Canada Colonial America Oct 17/10, Ruby Princess Eastern Caribbean Nov. 6/11, Crown Princess Southern Caribbean Jan 28/12, Grand Princess Eastern Caribbean Feb 4/12, Crown Princess Greek Isles Oct 15/12, Royal Princess Eastern Caribbean Jan 26/14

Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you for your first hand account. I hope and pray for the people of Chile.

Next up:

Carnival Dream - Dec. 7, 2014

Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjolov View Post
Wow Rusty - that must have been quite an experience. We found out last night that we are booked for a flight today and will arrive in Santiago tomorrow morning. Hope to see you on the ship. Do you know what the plan is now for a Meet and Greet? We sure would look forward to meeting everyone who makes it.
Barb & Norm
We'll be there. It will have to be rescheduled because of the delayed time we leave. I don't think there will be that many people who are on the first leg--so many cancellations.

BTW--the Star is in port!

Last edited by Rusty; March 2nd, 2010 at 08:34 AM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:47 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thank you for reporting in. Glad you are all safe! If you get a chance, please keep us updated.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:57 AM
5,000+ Club

Thanks for the first hand account.
Caribbean Princess 1/08
Crown Princess 4/10
Crown Princess 2/11
Emerald 9/11
Caribbean Princess 11/12
Crown Princess 4/13

Next up:
Ruby 4/14
Regal Princess 11/14
Regal Princess11/14

Old March 2nd, 2010, 09:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you for the "almost live" account of your experience. It would be very interesting if someone on the cruise leaving Valpariso today (tomorrow?) could do a live thread indicating how full or empty the ship is, how people got to the ship, etc.

UPCOMING CRUISES:
Royal Princess, Scandinavia & Russia, July 2014

PAST CRUISES:
Celebrity Horizon, Bermuda, April 1999
Golden Princess, Alaska Inside Passage, June 2007
Sapphire Princess, New Zealand/Australia Cruise Tour, April 2008
Coral Princess, Panama Canal Full Transit, April 2009
Caribbean Princess, Bermuda/Caribbean, July 2010
Crown Princess, Transatlantic, September 2010
Star Princess, Antartica/South America, January 2011
Oasis of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean, June 2012
Sapphire Princess, Los Angeles/Hawaii, December 2012
Celebrity Reflection, Italy/Greece/Turkey, May 2013
Galaxy (OAT), Galapagos, February 2014

Old March 2nd, 2010, 09:16 AM
40,000+ Club

Thanks for your report. Glad you are okay.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 09:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Rusty

Thank you for your report - glad to hear that Santiago is recovering quickly. The people and city were so nice on our visit last year.

My heart goes out to all those in Chile and hope that the recovery goes well for the other affected areas and safe keeping for the citizens.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:04 AM
40,000+ Club

Glad you are alright.

USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32

Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:07 AM
5,000+ Club

Red face

My son and I were in Chile in Jan prior to our cruise on Star.When we visited Valpo our guide pointed out the cliffs and precarious way some houses were perched on them I remember my thoughts then were they better never have an earthquake. At best their electric wiring left a lot to be desired ...way substandard to our safety regulations .Wires hung from everywhere and tangled masses.Our guide did tell us Valpo was on a fault line where the houses were ...OY
WHAT DOES VALPO look like now .My screensavers are pix of Valpo ...does it still look like that???/Probably notThe devastation there must be tremendous Does anyone have recent pix?
My heart goes out to all the poor people who are left homeless >I hope gov'ts step in to help
To the OP thank god you are OK .I;m not sure what you will see on your voyage ....or how bad the destuction further south is.....
Does anyone think there is a connection between Haiti's earthquake,the mudslides in Machu Pichu and now this earthquake ...HEAVEN forbid Who is next ???They seem to be on the same line ....
to the OP take care

Michele

Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:13 AM
20,000+ Club

Default Quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
NOTE: We are leaving our hotel in Santiago today to board the Star Princess at Valparaiso. What follows is a very brief summary of our experience:

What can you say about an earthquake far from home?... Not much, except you sympathize with those people who were affected. What can you say about an earthquake far from home that you were involved in?...Read on...

My wife and I were headed to Santiago to rendezvous with the Star Princess in Valaparaiso four days later. We flew out of Newark airport on February 25 during a major snowstorm on the first leg of our flight to Toronto. We arrived in Toronto and faced a three hour delay and left for Santiago, Chile at 2:30AM. We finally landed, finished with customs, picked up our bags and were on our way to our small boutique hotel in the Provedencia section of Santiago. We cheked in, then went out and had a wonderful dinner and toasted each other with these words: "We dodged a major snow storm and thank goodness we're here in Santiago!"

Fast forward...3:34AM,February 26...We were awoken by a loud thunderous sound and the bed began to shake. I thought it was a major thunderstorm. My wife, Shelley, said it must be an earthquake.The horendous loud noises, dogs barking in the street, lamps crashing to the floors, the bed moving, and car sirens blasting, was followed by an erie silence for about a minute or two.The earthquake lasted about 2 minutes.

After it stopped, Shelley sat up on the edge of the bed, while I walked to the bathroom window to look out into the street.I saw nothing--all lights were out--there was no electricity.I opened the door to our room and peeked out as others did the same. We quickly put on our clothes on in the dark(didn´t have my camera to show the various outfits people put together on such short notice!).

We left our room and gingerly walked down the stairs to the street. Some of the hotel guests had flashlights which lit our way. There was no panic from any of the guests. When we got to the street we met our fellow guests. The conversations ranged from "what happened", "is anyone hurt", to "where are the police" and "I left everything in my room". At the urging of Shelley, I went to the room to get our money, passports, etc. I didn´t have a flashlight, but used the screen light from my iTouch, to light the way.(Note to Apple: this could be a great new commercial). One the two staff members, had rushed home to check on his family and who immediately returned to the hotel, moved his car to the front of the hotel and turned on the radio so we could listen to the news reports in Spanish, as a guest translated for us.

The staff set candles, got water, and helped us in every way possible(kudos to Hotel Orly!). The guests bonded. The lights came on briefly and then went out. Nighttime turned into early morning as the aftershocks started.

The people of Santiago were tremendous. Everyone has been helpful. The city had mostly minor damage and as of yesterday, everything was back to normal--stores reopened, subways were running, people were food shopping. Santiago and us were very lucky.

Our hearts go out to others in Chile whose lives have been changed forever by the earthquake. Chile is a strong country and will rebuild.
So glad you are okay.....

Bob

Royal Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/13- 18 Days Inaugural Crossing
Sapphire Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 03/13 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/11 - 18 Days
Golden Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 02/11 -14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/09 - 18 Days
Diamond Princess AUS/NZ 01/09 - 12 Days
Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08 - 18 Days
Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Alaska Repo 05/05 -14 Days
Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02 - 14 Days
RCCL Rhapsody OTS Alaska 09/01 - 7 Days
RCCL Splendour OTS Baltic/Northern Europe 09/99 - 12 Days
HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96 - 7 Days
Carnival Holiday Western Caribbean 07/93 - 7 Days

187 Days At Sea: 112 Days Princess , 42 Days Celebrity. 19 Days RCCL, 7 Days HAL, 7 Days Carnival.....

My Cruise Pictures on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25882507@N08/

woobstr112G@roadrunner.com

woobstr112G@gmail.com AOL Users

Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Wow what an experience, one which I am sure you will never forget. Thank goodness you both are ok. Nice to hear how everyone stuck together and helped each other. My heart goes out to those in the hard hit areas.

Grand Princess 11/11 - Crown Princess 11/10 - Emerald Princess 11/09 - Crown Princess 4/09 - Ruby Princess 12/08 - Coral Princess 11/07 - Caribbean Princess 7/07 - Star Princess 4/07 - Caribbean Princess 11/06 - Sun Princess 10/06 - HAL Veendam 4/06 - HAL Westerdam 1/06 - Star Princess 11/05 - NCL Spirit 3/05 - HAL Zuiderdam 6/05 - Star Princess 11/04 - Celebrity Summit 4/04 - HAL Zuiderdam 11/03 - Golden Princess 11/02 - Celebrity Horizon 11/01 - RCI Sovereign of the Seas 10/99

Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you so much for the report.

I've seen photos of the airport. It wasn't destroyed, but there sure was some damage. We were there on December 9. Our guide, too, talked about the huge 1960 earthquake and the building standards that are now in place.

My heart goes out to all of Chile. They are wonderful people.

65 cruises (616 days) and counting:
Carnival: 8 (57 days)
Celebrity: 2 (14 days)
NCL: 14 (103 days)
Princess: 34 (397 days)
RCCL: 5 (35 days)
Viking: 1 (10 days)

Most Recent:

NCL Jewel b2b - March/April 2014
NCL Jewel b2b - Feb. 2014

NCL Jewel b2b - Jan. 2014
Caribbean Princess -December, 2013

Future:

NCL Sun - November 2014
Island Princess - December 2014
NCL Dawn - January 2015

Old March 2nd, 2010, 04:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you for the report, and so very happy to hear that you're ok.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 05:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Great report. When I lived in California, I endured three earthquakes including the 1994 Northridge quake. They can be quite traumatic. Glad to hear you are OK. Enjoy your cruise.

Monarch of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean), November, 2001
Rhapsody of the Seas (Mexican Riviera), November, 2000
Regency Sun (Alaska), July 1994
Carnival Jubilee (Western Caribbean), December 1986
Cunard Countess (Southern Caribbean), October 1981

Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

When was the Star originally scheduled to leave Valpo, and when is it actually leaving? How will they adjust the itinerary? Same amount of days, or cut it short? What about the cruise after yours?

Nov. 1997 - 7 day Western Caribbean Round Trip Ft. Lauderdale - Sun Princess
April 1999 - 12 day Panama Canal San Juan to Acapulco - Sun Princess
July 2008 - 7 day Alaska Inside Passage Round Trip Seattle - Golden Princess
November 2010
- 7 day Mexican Riviera Round Trip Los Angeles - Sapphire Princess

July 2013 - 7 day Alaska Inside Passage Round Trip Seattle - Norwegian Jewel

Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:19 PM
5,000+ Club

Wow, that is one travel memory you will never forgot! Good to hear that you're alright and how helpful everyone was. Enjoy the cruise and be thankful you're there. Bon voyage!

Upcoming Cruises:
2015: Crown Princess
2015: Rhine River Cruise-ZRH to AMS
2015: Star Princess

Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for this report. Sorry your trip has started off rough but hope your cruise turns out to be one of your best yet.

May God be with the people of Chile.
5/92 Commadore Cruise Line-Western Caribbean, 6/96 Carnival (Sensation) - Western Caribbean, 6/02 Royal Caribbean (Rapsody of the Sea) - Western Caribbean, 12/05 Carnival (Glory) - Eastern Caribbean, 4/06 Princess (Golden) - repo San Juan to New York, 12/06 Carnival (Fantasy) - Western Caribbean, 7/07 Holland America (Zuiderdam) - Alaska, 7/08 Holland America (Volendam) - Alaska, 12/08 Carnival (Valor) - Eastern Caribbean, 5/09 Princess (Coral) - Alaska, 11/09 Carnival (Triumph) Western Caribbean, 4/10 Princess (Caribbean) - Southern Caribbean, 11/10 Carnival (Glory) - Western Caribbean, 11/11 Carnival (Victory) - Southern Caribbean, [color=red]5/12 Princess (Diamond) - Northbound Alaska, 11/12 Carnival (Conquest) - Western Caribbean, 3/1/14 Princess (Caribbean) - Western Caribbean