Confused about Antactica

KimmyinLA

While research for our trip around South America... I have come across several blogs/TR/reviews about cruises around SoAM/Antarctica.

Our ship does not go into A... closest we get is around cape horn. Just wondering, are there other major cruise lines that includes Antarctica??

Just curious...

While research for our trip around South America... I have come across several blogs/TR/reviews about cruises around SoAM/Antarctica.

Our ship does not go into A... closest we get is around cape horn. Just wondering, are there other major cruise lines that includes Antarctica??

Just curious...

Not positive but I am pretty sure Celebrity Expeditions and Amazara cruises go to Antarctica.....or at lease very, very close. :)

Kimmy - Next year's South America cruise on Regent Seven Seas Mariner will spend three days cruising in Antarctica. It is the Callao (Lima) to Rio de Janeiro cruise that departs Jan 24, 2010. There are no landings, as such are only done on cruises by expedition vessels. It should be a lovely "drive-by" though.

If you want to learn more about trips on the various expedition vessels, there is a lot of good info on the Antarctica board on Cruise Critic Ports of Call. It was an invaluable source of info for us when we were preparing for our cruise in Antarctica two years ago on the Hanseatic.

Cheers, Fred

If you want to learn more about trips on the various expedition vessels, there is a lot of good info on the Antarctica board on Cruise Critic Ports of Call. It was an invaluable source of info for us when we were preparing for our cruise in Antarctica two years ago on the Hanseatic.

Funny how all these years, I never even *noticed* there was a board for Antarctica!

Kimmy, I found this article on cruises to Antartica. It includes a sidebar of ships making the trip to Antartica. Nice pictures, too.

Peregrina, thanks for that link... that article is awesome. My husband wanted to do a cruise that stops in A. and I thought I really didn't have an interest in it until recently. Now, I want to go!

Btw, are you in news?

We just returned from a cruise from Los Angeles to Miami---around South America and to Antarctica--on Crystal Symphony. It was a spectacular cruise! Antarctica is just breath-taking! Crystal Symphony does a cruise by Antarctica. You do not leave the ship unless you take one of the shore excursions from Ushuaia. These were an all day flight to Antarctica with an opportunity to actually walk on the continent. There were two excursions offered, but neither one went because of the weather. Crystal Symphony spends 3 days cruising Antarctica. The first day goes to Palmer Station where a group of scientists come aboard the ship to explain what they doing in Antarctica. We missed that first day, and our slot at Palmer Station, because we hit hurricane winds in the Drakes Passage and lost the windows in 3 cabins on deck 5. We had to return to Ushuaia to have the windows repaired. The repairs were completed in one day and the Captain got us safely to Antarctica the following day. We spent New Year's Day 2009 cruising by the most spectacular scenery in the world. The second day went went past Deception Island and Elephant Island. It was a way to experience the beauty of the area without sacrificing luxury!

Ricki

We took Star Princess to Antarctica last January. It was fabulous! Although we didn't land there, the scenery was unbelievably beautiful. We saw lots of wildlife too, like penguins, elephant seals, whales, and a ton of different birds. We spent 5 days cruising along the coast of Antarctica, and it is something I will never forget.

We just returned from a cruise from Los Angeles to Miami---around South America and to Antarctica--on Crystal Symphony. It was a spectacular cruise! Antarctica is just breath-taking! Crystal Symphony does a cruise by Antarctica. You do not leave the ship unless you take one of the shore excursions from Ushuaia. These were an all day flight to Antarctica with an opportunity to actually walk on the continent. There were two excursions offered, but neither one went because of the weather. Crystal Symphony spends 3 days cruising Antarctica. The first day goes to Palmer Station where a group of scientists come aboard the ship to explain what they doing in Antarctica. We missed that first day, and our slot at Palmer Station, because we hit hurricane winds in the Drakes Passage and lost the windows in 3 cabins on deck 5. We had to return to Ushuaia to have the windows repaired. The repairs were completed in one day and the Captain got us safely to Antarctica the following day. We spent New Year's Day 2009 cruising by the most spectacular scenery in the world. The second day went went past Deception Island and Elephant Island. It was a way to experience the beauty of the area without sacrificing luxury!

Ricki

We are doing this cruise December 2009. From Ushuaia, did you go due east to the Atlantic to Drake's passage, or did you actually cruise "around the Horn"?

Just curious...

You need to go on a smaller ship if you do not want to do a "drive by". I highly recommend this. There are many Sales on now for Minerva (A&K), Prince Albert II (SilverSeas) and Fram (Hurtigruten) to name a few.

I can highly recommend the Minerva. Check out Abercrombie and Kents web site.

Jade 13 it right on Alan Fox is travelling down there writing his experiences for Vacations to Go. Ive' read his last 3 .He says only small ships are allowed & also in small groups .No more than a hundred at a time. They also have to disinfect their boots every time they land . I guess big ships have too many passengers for them to handle the procedure involved. But most stop at the Falklands where there is about 5 species of Penguins. He also says you pay to get there & back by sailing the Drake Passage which has very rough weather. Roy.PS Look up Falklands On South America Forum Theres a lady who lives there who is Known by hundreds of Cruise Critic viewers for her Pics of her Island & way of life & ex advice. R

He says only small ships are allowed & also in small groups .No more than a hundred at a time. They also have to disinfect their boots every time they land . I guess big ships have too many passengers for them to handle the procedure involved.

There is an international agreement between countries protecting Antarctica and agreeing that NO country actually owns Antarctica. There is also an agreement with IATTO (International Association of Antarctica Tour Operators) that NO ship/conveyance will allow more than 100 people on land for OTHER than research in a specific area at the same time. By agreement, there can also NOT be two ships in the same location at the same time (more than 100 people) This is to protect the fragile ecosystem.

We sailed on HAL last year from Rio to Valparaiso via Antarctica. It was absolutely spectacular. One of the things that kept us with HAL, rather than Princess, was a comment on the CC from someone who had done this cruise on Princess - While in Antarctica, she could see the smaller HAL ship going places the larger Princess ship she was on, couldn't fit. No, we weren't able to go ashore in Antarctica, but that was perfectly fine for our needs. We had expected this to be a once-in-a-lifetime destination, but while there, we knew we had to return. We're looking at 2011 or 2012. :D

There are three types of Antarctic cruises. The mass market ships do what we refer to as a "wave-by". They cruise in Antarctic waters and you can see it but do not have zodiac landings or zodiac cruising. They are large ships.

The mid sized ships of which have ice-strengthened hulls and will allow only 100 persons to land at a time. There are usually three landings but in that region of the world weather is the greater factor. Although these ships have more cruise amenities the opportunities for landings are fewer.

The smaller ships are more adventure cruising having a lot fewer passengers, have more and longer landings per person.

Only you know what sort of experience you are looking for. It is up to you to decide. My experience was on a mid sized ship. It was right for me. Ask any questions that you have, I will try my best to answer.

We are planning an Antarctica trip for 2011 or 2012. Could you tell me which mid-sized ships you were referring to? I like the idea of some comfort and some landings, too. We've had friends who had a wonderful experience on Regent (with Zodiak landings), and we've loved our Crystal cruises. But I'm not sure that either of those experiences would have been "midszed" -- Regent, maybe?

There are three types of Antarctic cruises. The mass market ships do what we refer to as a "wave-by". They cruise in Antarctic waters and you can see it but do not have zodiac landings or zodiac cruising. They are large ships.

The mid sized ships of which have ice-strengthened hulls and will allow only 100 persons to land at a time. There are usually three landings but in that region of the world weather is the greater factor. Although these ships have more cruise amenities the opportunities for landings are fewer.

The smaller ships are more adventure cruising having a lot fewer passengers, have more and longer landings per person.

Only you know what sort of experience you are looking for. It is up to you to decide. My experience was on a mid sized ship. It was right for me. Ask any questions that you have, I will try my best to answer.

You are certainly well travelled. I'd like to know what ship you went on, length of cruise and what time of year? In addition, your most memorable personal highlights.

We are planning an Antarctica trip for 2011 or 2012. Could you tell me which mid-sized ships you were referring to? I like the idea of some comfort and some landings, too. We've had friends who had a wonderful experience on Regent (with Zodiak landings), and we've loved our Crystal cruises. But I'm not sure that either of those experiences would have been "midszed" -- Regent, maybe?

A good example of a mid-sized ship is the MS Fram. About 300 passengers. Just short of 13000 tons. The Prince Albert II (Silversea) is about 1/2 that displacement - lists 132 passengers, and it looks real nice on their brochure.

Doing the research for our trip, we looked at all the options, and elected to go for a really small ship, as a mid-size ship can limit your time on-shore as only 100 people are allowed at one time, but the time onshore is priceless.

We elected to go on the Polar Pioneer - 53 passengers, where we had 2-3 landings per day. Not a fancy ship, but an affordable trip for us. With an expedition leader that really knew his stuff (Howard Whelan), and a staff that did as well. If you are looking for a 'cruiseship' experience, the small boats are not it.

The mid-size ships (Fram) are stabilized, and it will be a bit more comfortable crossing the Drake. My DW and I do not get seasick so it didn't matter.

Dave

Could you tell me which mid-sized ships you were referring to?

I'd like to know what ship you went on, length of cruise and what time of year? In addition, your most memorable personal highlights.

I went to Antarctica in 2005 on the M/V Marco Polo. It was part of a 30 day cruise which took us to two of the Falkland Islands, up the coast of South America and 1000 miles up the Amazon River to Manaus.

We did three landings in total and I really loved it. I am a lover of ironic signs. During my first landing, There was a flat red hose marking a boundary with a sign. The sign was a picture of a penguin with a big red stripe. Of course it meant that we should not go and bother the penguins but the penguin couldn't read so he came over to see me.

Unfortunately the ship that I went on was sold last year. It was sold to a company and leased to German company. At this point I know nothing about the ship. The only other ship of this type would be the Discovery.

There are more ships stopping in Antarctica now than there were four years ago.

Fran

I went to Antarctica in 2005 on the M/V Marco Polo. It was part of a 30 day cruise which took us to two of the Falkland Islands, up the coast of South America and 1000 miles up the Amazon River to Manaus.

We did three landings in total and I really loved it. I am a lover of ironic signs. During my first landing, There was a flat red hose marking a boundary with a sign. The sign was a picture of a penguin with a big red stripe. Of course it meant that we should not go and bother the penguins but the penguin couldn't read so he came over to see me.

Unfortunately the ship that I went on was sold last year. It was sold to a company and leased to German company. At this point I know nothing about the ship. The only other ship of this type would be the Discovery.

There are more ships stopping in Antarctica now than there were four years ago.

Fran

Thanks for your response. Sounds like a wonderful long cruise. Lucky the penquin couldn't read.

I've heard of the Marco Polo, which had quite a loyal following.

I've heard of the Marco Polo, which had quite a loyal following.

The Marco Polo was my favorite ship. The crew were fantastic. Having read some reviews on these boards of the new product, I was aghast. One reviewer said that they had difficulty keeping the ship upright while another said that they borrowed a captain from Louis Cruise Lines.

Both are unacceptable to me. I would never recommend a product that I would not use myself. I am waiting to find out about the ship that Gerry Herrod is redoing. He did both the Marco Polo and the Discovery.

Fran

We are doing this cruise December 2009. From Ushuaia, did you go due east to the Atlantic to Drake's passage, or did you actually cruise "around the Horn"?

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

Yes, we did actually cruise around Cape Horn which was rough, but very tolerable. We were sailing from West to East.

Ricki

Archived