Bruges, Belgium. A walking tour in pdf format

I have been asked several times by CC people if they could print some of my walking tours. I have no objection, of course, but thought it might be better to have a version in pdf format. That way the pages are not cut at the wrong places and it makes it easier to print.

If you go to the following site for the Walking Tour of Bruges, Belgium, you see a link to the printable version.

http://www.*****.com/Brugge%205.html

I will do the same with the other walking tours. But it is just another project for 'tomorrow'.

Thank you so much for posting this. Although I will not be going to Brugge on the cruise this summer, my family was there four summers ago--your walking tour, the very detailed notes and gorgeous pictures, brought back many memories of a beautiful city. Is the Farmers' Market still occurring in the Central Plaza on Wednesdays? If anyone is wondering if they should take a shore excursion to Brugge, I can't recommend the city highly enough!!!

Your map is really helpful, thanks.

Do you know if what will be open for visiting on 21 May holiday? (types of places like cafes, boat trips etc.)

The old parts of Bruges are so tourist oriented that everything should be open even during holidays. Bars, restaurants, boat tours, etc. should all be operating. The museums might be closed, but there are so many other activities and things to see that you should not worry.

The only thing could be the weather, but even that did not stop us from having a great time and visit last year.

One thing I might mention about the ladies who make lace. To see a demonstration of this you should go to one of the shops on Wollestraat. It is a cross street when you walk along Dijver. You might ask a local where it is located. When we saw these women twirling their bobbins we were truly facinated. I don't think there are more than a couple places where you can still see this.

Liar Bear - I shared your walking tour to a friend that grew up in Belgium.

He was going to design a walking tour for our visit in September. His response to your walking tour - "wow, that is perfect and exactly what I would have suggested".

Thank you for taking the time and sharing this with everyone. We really appreciate it.

Take care,

Susan

I know he also has a great walking tour of Amsterdam plus more information .

He does a GREAT job!

OK, Ine, because of this, I have decided to put the Amsterdam Walking Tour also in pdf format. But give me a few days and I will let you know.

Thank you all for the nice comments, but I had fun putting this together and then finding out if it really was worthwhile. And it was.

One more comment about those arriving in Zeebrugge by larger cruise ships. If the ship offers a shuttle to the train station, by all means do that. The short train trip costs about two euros one way and it takes you right to where the walking tour starts.

We were disappointed that Oceania did not have this arrangement. I guess they were more interested in having people pay the enormous fee for a bus ride into town.

The old parts of Bruges are so tourist oriented that everything should be open even during holidays.

One thing I might mention about the ladies who make lace.

Thanks, :) that is really useful information.

Just wanted to say "Thank You" for sharing your wonderful and informative site. I have copied the Brugge walking tour and will definitly utilize in a few weeks on our T/A crossing 4/29.

If your Amsterdam pdf. is available by then will copy that as well.WE really enjoyed reading all about you travels.

Thanks again!:D

Though I have no immediate plans for Brugge, I have downloaded your walking tour and fully expect to use it when needed. Thanks for that.

As to the Amsterdam version, I do have a more immediate desire to see that one, and really look forward to doing so.

As to the Amsterdam version, I do have a more immediate desire to see that one, and really look forward to doing so.

I should have the pdf format of this walk ready in a couple days. However, you might have a look at the regular web site version at

http://www.*****.com/Amsterdam.html

Since you are going to the Baltic, and if you are stopping in Tallinn, Estonia, there is another walk for that historic and scenic city at

http://www.*****.com/tallinnwalk.html

Have a great trip.

Lairbear I hope I didnot give you much additional work stating this about Amsterdam. I know you are about to cruise again and might have more to do.

And I certainly don't want to cause you any pre-cruise stress. So only if you're able to get the .pdf thing going is absolutely fine by me.

The pre-cruise stress is my wife's concern. She takes care of packing her suitcase, while I toss a few things in mine. Somehow we survive and have a great time in all the places we visit.

I did finish the 'Amsterdam Walk' in pdf format and you can see the reference on the web page below as you read the first paragraph. http://www.*****.com/Amsterdam.html

I hope it will be of use to you.

Enjoy your cruise and let us know if Amsterdam was OK, great or blah.

Ine, what are you doing in Mexico? Getting tanned and having fun while Holland suffers in the rain and cold??? How are the tulips doing in your yard at home and at Keukenhof?

OOOnly kidding, of course. Good to see that you are still involved with CC.

Lair Bear, this truly is a tremendous product you created! You should be selling it and not giving it away! :D We are going to be arriving in Bruges after flying TA to Brussels from the USA. I assume that when I take the train to Bruges from the airport that we will arrive at the station. We are staying at the Bryghia Hotel on Oosterlingenplein 4, 8000. Which appears to be just above the map that you have on your PDF file. I am assuming that the best way to get to our little hotel would be a cab? We are planning after 3 days in Bruges to take the train back to Brussels to take the Eurostar train to Pancras station in London. Any suggestions for eating or travel for us based on your experience? We will be there in mid November, do you think any of the boating operators will still be doing tours then. I was guessing not, but would love to hear they are.

thanks

jc

Was in bruges a few weeks back, not cheap these days, the places on the market square especialy.

Walking tour looks good shame I had not seen it before we went.

We found that for beer selection this place was very good, close to the center, more a restaurant/bar but ok to just drink

http://www.cambrinus.eu/bierkaart.htm

this place is much more of a bar but does get busy so we never tried it.

http://www.brugsbeertje.be/index_en.htm

Lair Bear, this truly is a tremendous product you created! You should be selling it and not giving it away! :D We are going to be arriving in Bruges after flying TA to Brussels from the USA. I assume that when I take the train to Bruges from the airport that we will arrive at the station. We are staying at the Bryghia Hotel on Oosterlingenplein 4, 8000. Which appears to be just above the map that you have on your PDF file. I am assuming that the best way to get to our little hotel would be a cab? We are planning after 3 days in Bruges to take the train back to Brussels to take the Eurostar train to Pancras station in London. Any suggestions for eating or travel for us based on your experience? We will be there in mid November, do you think any of the boating operators will still be doing tours then. I was guessing not, but would love to hear they are.

I am afraid I don't have answers to all of your questions, but . . . .

The train station I refer to is indeed the main station with trains from Brussels. To get from there to your hotel is too far to walk with luggage, so a cab is probably the answer. There are city busses but they are complicated to use for your arrival. I suggest you also ask the hotel for recommenadations. Perhaps someone there could pick you up.

November is well beyond the typical tourist season and I doubt that the boats will be operating then. Again you might ask the hotel or wait until you get there.

That time of the year can be a bit dreary in Belgium. There could be lots of wind and rain, so indoor visits to museums, galleries etc. are good during your long stay. You certainly will have most of the places to yourself. When we were there we concentrated on the outdoors and skipped museums; however, I would check the following web site for details http://www.trabel.com/brugge-museum.htm

One interesting stop I might suggest is to visit the Kant Centrum at Peperstraat 3A. You can see demonstrations of the old way of making delicate lace by hand. Here is a web site for that http://lace.lacefairy.com/Lace/International/Bruges.html

Edited by Lair Bear

Was in bruges a few weeks back, not cheap these days, the places on the market square especialy.

You are right. The bars and restaurants on the Markt and along the main tourist routes are pricey.

Bruges has numerous good restaurants, many in tucked away places. One of them looked very interesting but it was too early for us to have lunch there. It is a rotissery 'Maximiliaan van Oosterrijk' and is right near the entrance to the Bequinage on Wijngaardplein. Here is their web site and a picture I took last year.

http://www.maximiliaanvanoostenrijk.be/eng/default.htm

b086.jpg

Edited by Lair Bear

I am afraid I don't have answers to all of your questions, but . . . .

The train station I refer to is indeed the main station with trains from Brussels. To get from there to your hotel is too far to walk with luggage, so a cab is probably the answer. There are city busses but they are complicated to use for your arrival. I suggest you also ask the hotel for recommenadations. Perhaps someone there could pick you up.

November is well beyond the typical tourist season and I doubt that the boats will be operating then. Again you might ask the hotel or wait until you get there.

That time of the year can be a bit dreary in Belgium. There could be lots of wind and rain, so indoor visits to museums, galleries etc. are good during your long stay. You certainly will have most of the places to yourself. When we were there we concentrated on the outdoors and skipped museums; however, I would check the following web site for details http://www.trabel.com/brugge-museum.htm

One interesting stop I might suggest is to visit the Kant Centrum at Peperstraat 3A. You can see demonstrations of the old way of making delicate lace by hand. Here is a web site for that http://lace.lacefairy.com/Lace/International/Bruges.html

Thanks! I don't mind cold and rain, that is why they invented Goretex and polar fleece. I am looking forward to being there when it is not crowded full of tourists. I figure that the downside to the time of the year is equalled by the upside of having smaller crowds. Plus, it is when we can be there! :D

jc