Santorini private tours?

Curious12

A group of 6 of us will be in Santorini in May. Does anyone have any suggestions for a private tour company we can use. We would like to go to Oia, Akortori, a winery and Fira.

Rent cars. You don't need a tour company. Tony's Rent a Car is excellent and he'll give you a map. I rented a car last trip and I'll be renting again this time. Way more fun and inexpensive.

We were on a Greek Isles cruise a few months ago had a wonderful local guide, Kostas Sakavaras, in Santorini.

I highly recommend him, he was punctual, knowledgeable, interesting and fairly priced. It seemed everyone on the island knew him!

I found others on my roll call to share the tour and everyone was pleased with our day in Santorini.

Our tour "Santorini Highlights with Akrotiri" was very good. We enjoyed going to a winery, too!

Here is a link to his website:

http://santorini-private-guide.com

This was my second visit to Santorini. The first time we did not use a guide, and I really think we got so much more out of our second visit with a guide.

In my humble opinion, Santorini is over-rated. It is very crowded. I enjoyed the other islands more, especially Crete and Rhodes.

Have fun!

I totally recommend Gold Street Travel!

We had an amazing tour of the North Part of Santorini visiting Oia Imerovigli and Firostefani.Then we made a stop to Santo Winery and ended up in Fira where we had free time to walk and shop.

The driver was speaking english fluently,very professional and careful while driving.

We were really satisfied,will definitely use this company again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We were on a Greek Isles cruise a few months ago had a wonderful local guide, Kostas Sakavaras, in Santorini.

I highly recommend him, he was punctual, knowledgeable, interesting and fairly priced. It seemed everyone on the island knew him!

I found others on my roll call to share the tour and everyone was pleased with our day in Santorini.

Our tour "Santorini Highlights with Akrotiri" was very good. We enjoyed going to a winery, too!

This was my second visit to Santorini. The first time we did not use a guide, and I really think we got so much more out of our second visit with a guide.

In my humble opinion, Santorini is over-rated. It is very crowded. I enjoyed the other islands more, especially Crete and Rhodes.

Have fun!

A group of us from our Serenade of the Seas sailing in October 2014 used this company too and I would have no problem recommending them :)

I've been many times in Santorini. The best licensed tour guide with a vehicle is Spyros Thermos! He is a very kind person and knowledgeable. He is an archaeologist and also a member of the association of Italians sommeliers.

We chose the Santorini forever tour and we had a great time! We visited all the highlights of Santorini and we took some amazing pictures! We were all pleased!

Here is a link to his website: www.guidemeingreece.tours

My advice, if you visit Akrotiri go early in the morning to avoid the bulk of the tourists.

• 2 months later...

I agree about the tour with Spiros T. He was wonderful!!! He customized our tour for things we wanted! We wanted to go to the Santorini Brewing Company (Crazy Donkey ) & eat where the locals eat. His knowledge about Akrotiri is fantastic. He took us to Akrotiri, Red Beach, the Monastery, Oia, and our requested places. Spiros gave us a tour that felt like we were with a friend showing us his island! We ranged in age from 26 - 57, and we all agreed it was a spectacular tour. We saw & learned so much, and didn't feel rushed. Check out Santorini Local tour guides - Spiros T. You won't be disappointed!

Barbara

• 2 weeks later...
I've been many times in Santorini. The best licensed tour guide with a vehicle is Spyros Thermos! He is a very kind person and knowledgeable. He is an archaeologist and also a member of the association of Italians sommeliers.

We chose the Santorini forever tour and we had a great time! We visited all the highlights of Santorini and we took some amazing pictures! We were all pleased!

My advice, if you visit Akrotiri go early in the morning to avoid the bulk of the tourists.

I agree about the tour with Spiros T. He was wonderful!!! He customized our tour for things we wanted! We wanted to go to the Santorini Brewing Company (Crazy Donkey ) & eat where the locals eat. His knowledge about Akrotiri is fantastic. He took us to Akrotiri, Red Beach, the Monastery, Oia, and our requested places. Spiros gave us a tour that felt like we were with a friend showing us his island! We ranged in age from 26 - 57, and we all agreed it was a spectacular tour. We saw & learned so much, and didn't feel rushed. Check out Santorini Local tour guides - Spiros T. You won't be disappointed!

Barbara

Thanks for your recommendations everyone. We'll be on a cruise arriving in Santorini on 12th June 2017 ... a tender port for us.

I'm just wondering did any of these guides meet you at the pier where the tender stops ?

Also, apart from Oia and Fira, I'd love to hear of other recommendations . Our ship expects to arrive in Santorini around 7am and depart 10pm ... so we have plenty of time to see the sights.

Many thanks for your help

Cheers

Heather

Edit - oops ... I thought I had quoted all the tour companies mentioned ...

Edited by dougo in oz

Dougo in oz,

The tour guides (mine was Spiros) met at the top of the hill. After getting off of the tender, you either walk the stairs, ride a donkey uo for 5 Euros, or take the cable car up for 5 Euros. All the guides are waiting with signs with names, to meet up right off the cable car. They then go get their cars, because there is no parking right there. It takes them about 5 minutes. Hope this helps. Barbara

My sister and I just used this tour company last week. Our guide was Efi and she was a real delight! We wanted a private tour because my sister had recent surgery with mobility issues. Efi understood her needs and set her pace accordingly. She was very knowledgeable about the island and its cultural and geologic history. We did not go to the winery because my sister was beginning to tire, but the rest of the tour was wonderful. I would not hesitate to book this company again.

Edited by linkerbink

Hi

I totally agree with Fabrome! Their experience counts 29 years and the service they provided was exquisite!!

We had a wonderful tour on the southern part of the island and wineries.

We had an amazing tour of the North Part of Santorini visiting Oia Imerovigli and Firostefani.Then we made a stop to Santo Winery and ended up in Fira where we had free time to walk and shop.

The driver was speaking english fluently,very professional and careful while driving.

• 2 weeks later...
Dougo in oz,

The tour guides (mine was Spiros) met at the top of the hill. After getting off of the tender, you either walk the stairs, ride a donkey uo for 5 Euros, or take the cable car up for 5 Euros. All the guides are waiting with signs with names, to meet up right off the cable car. They then go get their cars, because there is no parking right there. It takes them about 5 minutes. Hope this helps. Barbara

Thanks very much Barbara

Has anybody here heard of the Aegean Traveller Tour? We are booked in Nov. 2016 with them. It's advertised as "Transfer to Oia by speedboat in 15 minutes + transfer by private bus from the ammoudi bay to Oia town + transfer by private bus from Oia town to Fira town + cable car ticket to reach the old port where you have to get the tender to get back on board of the cruiseship."

My understanding is that you get on the speedboat where you get off the tender. I haven't heard much about it so I'm a little nervous. It was only $ 20 per person. Does that sound like "If it's too good to be true, it probably is"?

Anybody?

• 1 month later...

How did you reach out to them to get the prices and tours.. did it have a minimum of travelers... there is only 2 of them.. will I have to drum up other passengers... How long was your tour and about what were you looking at in price ( $$$ or Euros)

• 3 weeks later...
Has anybody here heard of the Aegean Traveller Tour? We are booked in Nov. 2016 with them. It's advertised as "Transfer to Oia by speedboat in 15 minutes + transfer by private bus from the ammoudi bay to Oia town + transfer by private bus from Oia town to Fira town + cable car ticket to reach the old port where you have to get the tender to get back on board of the cruiseship."

My understanding is that you get on the speedboat where you get off the tender. I haven't heard much about it so I'm a little nervous. It was only $ 20 per person. Does that sound like "If it's too good to be true, it probably is"?

Anybody?

I think this is correct. Actually, I was researching on Santorini for our September's Cruise excursion. What I have learnt so far is that when you get to the Tender port, you have options of buying a 15 EUR ticket to Oia - i.e, Go by a water taxi (speedboat) to Ammoudi Bay and then a Shuttle up to Oia Village and a choice of flexible timing bus to Fira - All this for EUR 15. In your case, since it includes a Cable Car down from Fira, I would assume it as an appropriate price.

However, I have also seen people recommending taking the Cable Car up to Fira (Instead of boat to Oia) and then take a bus to Oia (that would be about 1.5 EUR per person). You can then take a return bus back to Fira for another 1.5 EUR. This is something I have been trying to research more on. I am also interested in going to Pygros and do some wine tastings.

Let me know what you finally decide.

The link did not work for me. Is there another web address for this company?

I think this is correct. Actually, I was researching on Santorini for our September's Cruise excursion. What I have learnt so far is that when you get to the Tender port, you have options of buying a 15 EUR ticket to Oia - i.e, Go by a water taxi (speedboat) to Ammoudi Bay and then a Shuttle up to Oia Village and a choice of flexible timing bus to Fira - All this for EUR 15. In your case, since it includes a Cable Car down from Fira, I would assume it as an appropriate price.

Let me know what you finally decide.

==============================================

I've already booked the tickets (2 for $40). I have heard from two more couples on our CC Roll Call that they have done the same thing. So I've decided to stop worrying about it. If they aren't at the Tender port, then we hopefully will be able to buy tickets from someone else.

I do plan to report back here how things go for us in Santorini. I hope you will let us know how your Sept. trip turns out.

==============================================

I've already booked the tickets (2 for $40). I have heard from two more couples on our CC Roll Call that they have done the same thing. So I've decided to stop worrying about it. If they aren't at the Tender port, then we hopefully will be able to buy tickets from someone else.

I do plan to report back here how things go for us in Santorini. I hope you will let us know how your Sept. trip turns out.

what was the site that you got this from? It sounds very interesting...and if you don't mind, what again does it exactly include?

what was the site that you got this from? It sounds very interesting...and if you don't mind, what again does it exactly include?

http://aegeantraveller.rezgo.com/details/94535/speedboat-to-oia

I guess they meant the above site.

It includes a speedboat taxi to Ammoudi Bay (below Oia), then a shuttle up to Oia town, a bus ticket to Fira and at last a cable car down to your tender port. If you choose to walk down to the port and don't want the cable car, you will get this option for 15 EUR!

Yes, the above is a very good option and you may choose to opt for it on the day of your port of call too. The vendors have their booths just where the tender drops you.

There is one thing which I was told in another thread though - The speed boat to Oia wouldn't leave unless it gets filled. But I don't think that should be a problem in the summers.

We would be there on the 21st of Sept and we are thinking of this - Taking the cable car up to Fira (wait for the cable car tickets would be similar to the wait for the speed boat to start) and then a Bus to Oia (1.8 EUR) which would take about 20-30 mins.. and then back to Fira (1.8 EUR) and take a bus/Taxi to Santo Wines in Pyrgos (It is just about 4 Km) ...and back to Fira. If we are not late for the last tender, we plan to walk down during the sunset (pure intention of taking the pics)...

When would you be in Santorini? :)..

RT

http://aegeantraveller.rezgo.com/details/94535/speedboat-to-oia

I guess they meant the above site.

It includes a speedboat taxi to Ammoudi Bay (below Oia), then a shuttle up to Oia town, a bus ticket to Fira and at last a cable car down to your tender port. If you choose to walk down to the port and don't want the cable car, you will get this option for 15 EUR!

Yes, the above is a very good option and you may choose to opt for it on the day of your port of call too. The vendors have their booths just where the tender drops you.

There is one thing which I was told in another thread though - The speed boat to Oia wouldn't leave unless it gets filled. But I don't think that should be a problem in the summers.

We would be there on the 21st of Sept and we are thinking of this - Taking the cable car up to Fira (wait for the cable car tickets would be similar to the wait for the speed boat to start) and then a Bus to Oia (1.8 EUR) which would take about 20-30 mins.. and then back to Fira (1.8 EUR) and take a bus/Taxi to Santo Wines in Pyrgos (It is just about 4 Km) ...and back to Fira. If we are not late for the last tender, we plan to walk down during the sunset (pure intention of taking the pics)...

When would you be in Santorini? :)..

RT

We are on the NCL Jade leaving the 3rd out of Venice. It arrives in Santorini on the 6th. thanks for the info

===============================

This is the site I used:

http://www.aegeantraveller.gr/

Go to the lower part of the page. Under "Cruise Visitors - Oia Transfers - Direct", click on "Book Now.

This is what it says it includes:

"[Transfer to Oia by Speedboat & return to Fira by bus Departure[/b] from the old port of Fira by speedboat to reach in only 15 minutes Ammoudi bay at the bottom of the picturesque and traditional village of Oia.

There the partner agency will do the transfer by bus from the small harbor until the tourist parking of the village.

The pickup point of the bus to reach the capital of Santorini, Fira, will be at same place.

In Oia you will have 1 – 2 – 3 or maximum 4 hours of free time, every hour after the arrival it is available a transfer by bus as well included in the ticket, from Oia to Fira.

In Fira the free time depends from the departure time of the last tender to return back on your cruise ship. In the price of 20 euros is also included the ticket of the cable car to come down at the old port."

I'm not going until Nov. Let me know how it turns out for you.

===============================

This is the site I used:

http://www.aegeantraveller.gr/

Go to the lower part of the page. Under "Cruise Visitors - Oia Transfers - Direct", click on "Book Now.

This is what it says it includes:

"[Transfer to Oia by Speedboat & return to Fira by bus Departure[/b] from the old port of Fira by speedboat to reach in only 15 minutes Ammoudi bay at the bottom of the picturesque and traditional village of Oia.

There the partner agency will do the transfer by bus from the small harbor until the tourist parking of the village.

The pickup point of the bus to reach the capital of Santorini, Fira, will be at same place.

In Oia you will have 1 – 2 – 3 or maximum 4 hours of free time, every hour after the arrival it is available a transfer by bus as well included in the ticket, from Oia to Fira.

In Fira the free time depends from the departure time of the last tender to return back on your cruise ship. In the price of 20 euros is also included the ticket of the cable car to come down at the old port."

I'm not going until Nov. Let me know how it turns out for you.

thanks a bunch

• 5 months later...
A group of 6 of us will be in Santorini in May. Does anyone have any suggestions for a private tour company we can use. We would like to go to Oia, Akortori, a winery and Fira.

1) Actually, to take a tender boat for 6 people cost 120 euros, and you will be very disappointed because I was in Santorini island twice. First time I used a tender boat for 20 euros per person, we are arriving in Amoudi Bay and was very packed with people, they took us from Amoudi Bay with the minibusses and drop off after 500 meters, after that, they picked us again with big buses and drop off in Oia. When we arrived in Oia was very crowded. This does Aegean Travel. Totally I'm not recommending.

2) 120 euros it is about half money cost of private tours in Santorini from cable car by the local company (50 euros/hour) - Top Santorini Tour link to website http://topsantorinitour.com, or take the Kostas Sakavaras link to his web page http://www.santorini-private-guide.com,

The first time we are really disappointed, the second time I think we got so much more touring with guide and driver.

Enjoy and have fun in Santorini!

1) Actually, to take a tender boat for 6 people cost 120 euros, and you will be very disappointed because I was in Santorini island twice. First time I used a tender boat for 20 euros per person, we are arriving in Amoudi Bay and was very packed with people, they took us from Amoudi Bay with the minibusses and drop off after 500 meters, after that, they picked us again with big buses and drop off in Oia. When we arrived in Oia was very crowded. This does Aegean Travel. Totally I'm not recommending.

2) 120 euros it is about half money cost of private tours in Santorini from cable car by the local company (50 euros/hour) - Top Santorini Tour link to website http://topsantorinitour.com, or take the Kostas Sakavaras link to his web page http://www.santorini-private-guide.com,

The first time we are really disappointed, the second time I think we got so much more touring with guide and driver.