Juneau?

stlrod

For Juneau, we will be in port from 8a-9p. I would love to do the Adventure Bound excursion and they say we would probably have enough time to make it to the boat by 8:30, but I'd hate to push it and then be left scrambling. So, I am thinking Mendanhall and Captain Larry. My wife and like to break up long port days by taking a couple of shorter excursions with a visit back to the ship for lunch (ahhh, the peace and quiet.) We would probably just do the ships tour to Mendanhall from 8:30-11:30 and then Captain Larry at 3:30. If we did this, we would probably miss going into Juneau. Is there any "must do" in downtown Juneau? I've read about the Red Dog but it seems sort of touristy. Is it worthwhile? Thanks once again.

Really no reason for the ship tour to Mendenhall. Just buy the +-$18 round trip bus ticket there. Then you can be on your own schedule.

The only "problem" with your plans is that you basically waste an hour or more in transit. The glacier is more than 1/2 way to the whale watching. But if you prefer it that way, fine - just so you know.

Adventure bound to Tracy Arm? That is one very long out and back, its beautiful but IMHO not worth skipping Juneau if you've never been there.

I only had a 1/2 day in port, never got time to explore the city.

One thought do Mt Roberts and the town in AM do whale watching and Mendenhall in the PM. The stop at Mendenhall is on the way to most of the docks that do whale watching so you savetime no double back and forth.

Happy planning

Downtown has plenty to see, Alaska State Museum, Juneau Douglas City Museum, Historic Cemetery, State Capital, Governor's House, Last Chance Mine (farther walk).

As for the Red Dog, yes, it is too touristy. I instead recommend the historic Alaskan Hotel. on Franklin, down and across the street from the Red Dog.

As alternative suggestion would be to rent a car. I would drive to the whale watch and Mendenhall, and add several other of the areas attractions on the north end.

I'm taking the Tracy Arm excursion in the morning. After late lunch/early dinner on the ship (I think - I am doing the excursion alone, my boys may eat on the ship without me...) I want to go up Mt. Robert Tram (if the weather is nice enough) & I want to go to Mendenhall Glacier for 2 or 3 hours. Anything else for us would be a bonus in Juneau.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey!

When our family went to Alaska, we took a floatplane trip to the Taku Lodge. Expensive, but so worth it. We rode in a floatplane over several different glaciers, saw lots of wildlife, and had an absolutely wonderful salmon dinner. If it is available I highly recommend it.

We're going to be in port from 8am until 1:30pm this summer on the Jewel. I am renting a car first thing in the morning and we're going to spend 3 hours out and about, then drop off the car and spend an hour downtown before getting to our Tracy Arm excursion at 1pm. We'll drive out the Mendenhall while visiting the fish hatchery out on the way (interesting, but not worth dedicating more than 30 minutes to), then drive up north to the shrine and eagle beach before heading back. Red Dog is just a tourist place anymore. What I'm trying to remember is the name of the dive fish-n-chip place I used to eat at downtown. They breaded fresh halibut! Yum!

How close are the rental cars to the cruise terminal?

My wife and I are having a tough time with Juneau

and deciding what to do.

We have been to Mt.Roberts, The Bake and Ice cube.

Sometimes wandering is the best option.

I'm going to keep watching this thread for ideas and locations.

and deciding what to do.

There isn't a cruise terminal. The docks stretch for about a mile along the waterfront of Juneau. It's wise to find out where your vessel is docking when making plans.

Since you live in Juneau do you know of anyone who rents motorcycles/scooters/ bicycles or who might be the closest car rental to the "port" area?

I would like to go back to the top of Mt.Roberts but my wife says No Hiking,

she has a bad knee.

There isn't a cruise terminal. The docks stretch for about a mile along the waterfront of Juneau. It's wise to find out where your vessel is docking when making plans.

Hello Tea harbor

June will be my third trip to Juneau. Could you arrange to have good viewing weather so I can get to the Mt.Roberts Tram

What do you do in Juneau?

Since you live in Juneau do you know of anyone who rents motorcycles/scooters/ bicycles or who might be the closest car rental to the "port" area?

I would like to go back to the top of Mt.Roberts but my wife says No Hiking,

she has a bad knee.

A bike rental place opened last year. It could be a bit of a walk from your ship; it's by the bridge to Douglas.

Last year, Rent-a-Wreck and I believe National, were in the general downtown area. As you'll see in other threads, some people find the walk not bad to the pickup location and others take a cab. With a bad knee, a cab would be in order unless you were at the dock nearest to the pickup location.

Could you arrange to have good viewing weather so I can get to the Mt.Roberts Tram

What do you do in Juneau?

HAH at the weather! I do a lot of strolling on trails or on the beach; our natural beauty is up there with the great museums of Europe in its own way.

But if it's going to be raining hard, I'd definitely always have a plan B, C, and maybe even D. I enjoy both our museums, State and City, as well as DIPAC, the fish hatchery. I think the glacier's visitors center is worth some time even with poor weather.

The Mt. Roberts Tramway was awesome and there is a good restaurant at the top as I recall. It was neat to walk through downtown Juneau, but honestly Mendenhall and hiking on Mt. Roberts were most memorable to me. Have a good time! Juneau was an awesome port.

and deciding what to do.

National is close to the AJ dock.

I have a car reserved with them for when we are there in May. Do you know if we walk, they pick us up or we have to take a taxi to get the car from National?

You can walk if your ship docks there. Otherwise it is a mile from the other docks. Shuttle buses do run between the two, but they are cruiseline contracted by the AJ dock ship. Walkable along a sidewalk, if no mobility concerns.

We, my family party of 15 people, will be on our first cruise/visit to Alaska. What is an absolute must do in Juneau?

Thanks!!

My guess is that if you try to find one thing for all 15 to do, it will be a disappointment for some. "must do" is what each person wants to do. whale watching, hiking, Mendenhall Glacier, helicopter tours and more. But if someone hates helicopters or hiking, even if those were a "must do" it wouldn't make sense to do, would it?

We, my family party of 15 people, will be on our first cruise/visit to Alaska. What is an absolute must do in Juneau?

Thanks!!

There are many "must dos". :) I agree with Frugal- split up and don't think a group of 15 is going to be on the same page with interests. Narrow down interests by initially looking over a shore excursion list. There are good descriptions to give you ideas. If you want more specific information, just repost back on this board.

You can walk if your ship docks there. Otherwise it is a mile from the other docks. Shuttle buses do run between the two, but they are cruiseline contracted by the AJ dock ship. Walkable along a sidewalk, if no mobility concerns.

On the schedule next to our ship it says CT. So I don't think we will be docking at the AJ dock. Shouldn't be a problem for us to walk there if there are sidewalks as you indicated. Thank you for the info!

Thanks!!

If you want to do something where everyone goes - Mendenhall Glacier. YMMV which is why they offer choices. (Then again I hate to even think about spending $3,000 +/- to take 15 people whale watching.)

Archived