Pigeon Island ?

jerrib

PIGEON ISLAND IS A NICE QUIET SWIMMING SPOT. iT WILL COST YOU A FEW $3 BUCKS? TO ENTER AND A MINIMAL COST FOR CHAIRS. There is shade available. The snorkeling from the beach is fair. Follow the rocks to the right for good snorkeling. the beach is small and often have weddings at the beach in the late afternoon. You can hike up the mountain which is close. We always go to this spot when we are in St Lucia. No vendors-easy cab ride-safe-easy entry to water-good for all ages. It has a rest room.

Hi folks,

I'm looking for information on Pigeon Island. Anyone been there who would recommend it (or not)?

Thanks

I went to Pigeon Island National Park on my first visit to St. Lucia. Great day!! I would recommmend for sure. Here's some picturess:

We kayaked into the bay, you can snorkel here too

285073_109045469197622_3107092_n.jpg

This is looking from the top of Fort Rodney, beautiful views of the Atlantic side and the caribbean side!

263347_109046809197488_4923928_n.jpg

282192_109044092531093_6008130_n.jpg

Here's the hill we climbed, it's not huge but it gets pretty steep at the top. Don't wear flip-flops! :)

263269_109044252531077_7259683_n.jpg

We bought some banana ketchup here too. At least try it :eek:

Edited by mn_isla_girl

Thanks macdons and mn_isla_girl for your responses. Great info and great pics. I've also read somewhere that there is a beach bar/rest there, have either of you tried it?

• 2 weeks later...

We took a taxi there for $20@. That included the $6 entrance fee into the National Park and rt from the ship (which was only about a 15-20 minute ride away). There are no restaurants in the park, but we did see a couple bars just outside the park. The beach there is beautiful and pretty protected. Snorkeling was very good, too. Since we took the taxi there instead of a ship tour, we had the beach to ourselves for an hour or 2 before the tours arrived. I wouldn't hesitate to do this again!

We took a taxi there for $20@. That included the $6 entrance fee into the National Park and rt from the ship (which was only about a 15-20 minute ride away). There are no restaurants in the park, but we did see a couple bars just outside the park. The beach there is beautiful and pretty protected. Snorkeling was very good, too. Since we took the taxi there instead of a ship tour, we had the beach to ourselves for an hour or 2 before the tours arrived. I wouldn't hesitate to do this again!

Actually, yes, Jambe Des Bois is the "beach" restaurant, and is inside PI. It is not on the beaches near the front of the park, it is a ways back near pier area. Lovely shack looking type place. Great eats.

Captain's Cellar used to be in the ruins near the front of the park. Conflicting reports on whether they are still open. Days may vary.

Actually, yes, Jambe Des Bois is the "beach" restaurant, and is inside PI. It is not on the beaches near the front of the park, it is a ways back near pier area. Lovely shack looking type place. Great eats.

Captain's Cellar used to be in the ruins near the front of the park. Conflicting reports on whether they are still open. Days may vary.

Thanks for your response on the restaurant.

I'm trying to picture the size of the park and what the distances are (i.e. lots of walking?). Is the restaurant relatively close to the beach? I'm assuming the ship excursion will drop us off at the park entrance (?), is it a long walk to beach/restaurant?

Thanks so much.

Thanks for your response on the restaurant.

I'm trying to picture the size of the park and what the distances are (i.e. lots of walking?). Is the restaurant relatively close to the beach? I'm assuming the ship excursion will drop us off at the park entrance (?), is it a long walk to beach/restaurant?

Thanks so much.

Jambe Des Bois is not right near the entrance. Yes, the ships tour will drop you off at the entrance to the park. From the entrance, head to your left towards the beach area. Once there, look to your right along the edge of the park - you'll see the shack looking building a little ways down, past the piers. It's probably a 10 minute stroll or so along the pathways. There are signs, and park employees around, etc. Can't really miss it. You'll walk past the Commendant's house ruins, and some others, then come out to eh restaurant.

Enjoy your visit.

Trying to understand how far Pigeon Island is from the cruise port and how much a taxi would cost. Seems like I've seen a couple of different answers.

Thanks in advance for any info

Trying to understand how far Pigeon Island is from the cruise port and how much a taxi would cost. Seems like I've seen a couple of different answers.

Thanks in advance for any info

Pigeon Island is about 20 minutes from the port, assuming no traffic. A taxi, as regulated by the gov't, is $35US for up to 3 passengers one way. However, unscrupulous drivers do pirate the route and will charge less - which in the end contributes to higher rates along all routes. A licensed taxi is one with a TX license plate.

Enjoy your visit!

Reedprincess is an excellent authority on St Lucia, I appreciate your help on tripadvisor.

We love having lunch at Jambe de Bois, and their White Sand drink is excellent. Expensive but worth the cost! We just hung there and visited the nicer beach at Sandals...

• 1 month later...
Reedprincess is an excellent authority on St Lucia, I appreciate your help on tripadvisor.

We love having lunch at Jambe de Bois, and their White Sand drink is excellent. Expensive but worth the cost! We just hung there and visited the nicer beach at Sandals...

How far is Sandals from the restaurant?

• 7 months later...
That explains it.... I went to Pigeon Island two years ago and the taxi driver dropped us off in the parking lot in front of the park.... we went to the beach by the parking lot... it was nice beach but had ZERO fish for snorkeling.

I thought the pigeon island beach was this beach... I gather from all the posts that the PI beach is inside the park....which i hear has excellent snorkeling..... That sounds obvious but when you are in vacation mode something the brain does not work properly!

live and learn.... the parking lot beach has incredibly cheap beer from a vendor.

Heading back to the PI beach ion two weeks... cannot wait!

Lol - that would be it! PI actually has an entrance fee (national park), it's $6USpp - if you didn't pay anything on your last visit, then you weren't in the park. The park has hiking and small museum, restaurant, etc. The parking lot/vending area outside the gates does have some cheap beers, but not much else. The park has Jambe de Bois, which is delicious, plus all the hiking and views, swimming, etc. Enjoy!

Thanks for the post.

Just to refresh my memory.... isn't it about $50 RT from the cruise ships to PI for a family of four?

And the snorkeling is supposed to be excellent, correct?

Thanks for your help.... this time I will make sure to actually go in the park and not swim in the parking lot beach.;)

Best,

Michael

A one way taxi is $35US for up to 3 people, and additional person should be around $10US extra. So, closer to $80 r/t. Gas prices, and thus route prices, have gone up in the last 2 years. An unlicensed taxi operator may offer you a lower price, but note that they are pirating the route, thus driving prices higher for legitimate, licensed operators. A licensed taxi operator will have a TX plate.

Enjoy your visit!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Is this the restaurant in the park? I had walked around this building on my way to the remains of the fort, but didn't realize this might be a restaurant.

http://s23.postimg.org/3x7zhni8b/IMG_1982.jpg

That is one of the restaurants, formerly the Captain's Cellar, now caller Thirst or something weird like that. It is not Jambe de Bois, which is on the Rodney Bay side, on the water....you can see the roofline of Jambe De Bois in the last picture above posted by mn___isla___girl.....

Edited by reedprincess

Hi folks,

I'm looking for information on Pigeon Island. Anyone been there who would recommend it (or not)?

Thanks

We visited Pigeon Island in 2011. George Rodney fortified Pigeon Island in order to monitor the French fleet in Martinique. Pigeon Point is located on the northwestern tip of St. Lucia and today houses the remains of Fort Rodney which dates back to 1778.

It is a moderate climb up a winding path to get to the top of the Fort.

IMG_0770_zpsaafac8d6.jpg

At the top of Fort Rodney Hill are the remains of a small fortress.

IMG_0775_zpsbcfeb7b9.jpg

Gunpowder Magazine

IMG_3088_zpsc6655634.jpg

If you're up to a steeper climb, you can cross the ridge and make the 359 foot climb up to the top of Signal Hill.

Looking back through cactus towards Fort Rodney.

IMG_0813.jpg

At the top of Signal Hill (that's Fort Rodney in the background). From the top of Signal Hill, Admiral Rodney was able to observe the French naval base on Martinique.

IMG_0805_zps8296816b.jpg

Back down at the bottom of the hill, is an interpretation centre and the ruins of military buildings and soldier barracks.

After this, we went for a swim at the beach located here. You can see Fort Rodney at the top of the hill.

IMG_3126_zps434aea96.jpg

If you like great views and scenic vista's while exploring a little bit of the history of St. Lucia and the importance of this national landmark, than a visit here is recommended. Since there are steep grades and some climbing involved, comfortable shoes are recommended.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks dz63.

You gave me a great perspective of the layout/logistics.

Glad to help.

If you're interested to see more photo's and video clips of Fort Rodney, Signal Hill and Pigeon Point, please check out my YouTube video.

[YOUTUBE]uEr3GTU9ZM4[/YOUTUBE]

• 1 month later...

If you had an option to take a catamaran to see the pitons and then spend 2 hours at Pigeon Island for swimming/sightseeing or a larger boat to see the pitons and snorkel beneath the pitons and spend time at the beach there..which would you do and why?

We are not snorkeling type folks, but want to see the pitons and do some swimming. Just not sure if pigeon island has chairs and shade...I am very fair skinned and burn easily lol

Thanks.