NCL Luggage - not putting address on mine !

bryanjaync

Doing my NCL luggage tags for the upcoming cruise (never thought luggage tags could be exciting but it is !)

The NCL tag ask for name and address. I do NOT put my address on any luggage tags, just phone numbers. Personally, I don't want persons handling luggage or with access to luggage, knowing three things combined 1) Name, 2) Home address and 3) I am NOT at home. (Maybe I am too cautious, but there are reasons).

Is putting cell number (always have Iphone on me) instead of home address going to cause any issue ?

I do not have a problem with putting my name and address on the luggage tags because, if by per chance your suitcase does not arrive at your final destination, they will know where to send. I have had it happen. Arrived home on a Saturday night and my suitcase did not arrive until Thursday afternoon.

I also print out my entire itinerary: flight information, hotel information, ship information, medical information and emergency contact information and put it in the very top of my suitcase, carry-on and in purse in case anything should happen.

I don't put my address on luggage tags either, but I do include my cell phone number. Reason being, is that if your luggage doesn't arrive with you, they don't automatically just send your bag to the address on the tag...they call you first.

IMHO, a phone number that you can be reached at is your best option.

Edited by g35girl

Yes. A lot of folks including us feel the same about putting address on luggage but what do is put a large piece of paper inside luggage on top of everything with itinerary.

IE airline to hotel dates, hotel to ship dates. Then on opposite side of paper do the same for coming home.

Most people don't know that the barcoded tags that airlines use are only active for 24 hours, after that your luggage has to be manually tracked, we know this from dealing with lost luggage that went astray and never got it back till weeks after our trip.

Doing my NCL luggage tags for the upcoming cruise (never thought luggage tags could be exciting but it is !)

The NCL tag ask for name and address. I do NOT put my address on any luggage tags, just phone numbers. Personally, I don't want persons handling luggage or with access to luggage, knowing three things combined 1) Name, 2) Home address and 3) I am NOT at home. (Maybe I am too cautious, but there are reasons).

Is putting cell number (always have Iphone on me) instead of home address going to cause any issue ?

We don't bother putting our address on our luggage either. We put our email address and our cell phone # so that if luggage gets misplaced they can contact us anywhere.

However, to each his own, it's to make sure you get your luggage so whatever works best for you. The reason for us, we're in Canada, and they won't send our luggage to our home if we fly out of a US airport.

Since you don't put the luggage tags on until you reach the port, I don't worry to much about the baggage handlers or crew on the ship raiding my home. If you plan on using your cell phone number only are you going to leave your cell phone turned on during your cruise so they can call you at sea? Still waiting to see the first CC post of someone whose home was burgled while they were cruising by a cruise baggage handler?

If you use a local TA , ask if you can use their address and phone then they can contact you if your luggage goes astray. . That's what we do. If you don't use a TA, use your business address and phone.

We normally just put our names C/O XXXXX and their phone # on it without the street address, just the town and state.

There is zero reason that I can think of for putting your address on a luggage tag.

A working and turned on cell phone number is very smart. We do that, and have information inside each suitcase as well. Usually a few business cards in case it really gets lost with no luggage tags.

If you use a local TA , ask if you can use their address and phone then they can contact you if your luggage goes astray. . ..

I guess. Personally, giving a TA as a contact would be very low on my list. They are only open and ready to take a phone call certain hours. And, then they have to contact you and then contact the "finder".

We use our cell phone, carry it and have it turned on. If a bag is lost enroute, they can call ME and get it to ME as soon as possible.

Since you don't put the luggage tags on until you reach the port, I don't worry to much about the baggage handlers or crew on the ship raiding my home. If you plan on using your cell phone number only are you going to leave your cell phone turned on during your cruise so they can call you at sea? Still waiting to see the first CC post of someone whose home was burgled while they were cruising by a cruise baggage handler?

I 100% agree with you! :)

Everyone has to do what they are comfort doing. My TA is my emergency contact person and I may be the only person in the world that does not own or want a cell phone.

We are with you, we don't own one and never will. I don't need people knowing where I am our just callusing when they feel like it.

The phone calling and texting is out of control in this country. JMO

No, I always do it that way. I never have personal information on anything that will be in a stranger's possession. Cell number is fine!

We are with you, we don't own one and never will. I don't need people knowing where I am our just callusing when they feel like it.

:oWhoops should have kept reading. I'm now the third person in the world without a cell phone.

We recently flew Luftanza and Air France and they asked for name and email on the tag. Seems more realistic in these tech times. That is what I will use in the future.

Brilliant! Since we turn our phones off once out of the U.S. but, due to our business, have to constantly be checking emails.

There is also a toll free "Contact NCL" for emergencies etc. that I give to my dog sitter, possibly that would work?

We also place itineraries and cruise tickets inside our bags.

Everyone has to do what they are comfort doing. My TA is my emergency contact person and I may be the only person in the world that does not own or want a cell phone.

You're not the only one who doesn't have or want a cell phone, I'm #4 to check in here :)

Edited by Got Tequila?

I have probably the cheapest and dumbest smartphone on the market and it's always OFF unless I need to make a call or I'm expecting a call.

Totally agree that cellphone use is out of control. It's turned us into a nation of co-dependent useless info junkies. :p

But when I'm traveling I'm usually alone, and I feel better knowing I have the capability to access email or the Web if I need to.

Reading all this, I'm rethinking my address on luggage tags. I do put it on a card on top of everything inside the suitcase.

I must admit that I find this fear of putting your address on a luggage tag is a little bit paranoid. With just your name it is not hard to find your home address online with just a few "click's".... But it is actually the same with a phone number....

That said - I have no problems with giving a phone number instead, but that would be just because of convenience and not because it is more safe (because in this computer age it is not necessarily more secure).

I must admit that I find this fear of putting your address on a luggage tag is a little bit paranoid. With just your name it is not hard to find your home address online with just a few "click's".... But it is actually the same with a phone number....

That said - I have no problems with giving a phone number instead, but that would be just because of convenience and not because it is more safe (because in this computer age it is not necessarily more secure).

Excellent point. I've always put my address on cruise luggage tags and will continue to do that, but I'm feeling more circumspect about having it on the suitcase tag because the bag can sit on a trolley out of my sight in my hometown airport for hours. It wouldn't be hard for someone on the "inside" to collect addresses to pass on to local burglars.

If they have to do the clicks to find my house when they've got a handful of other full addresses, I think they'd probably skip robbing me. :)

Not everyone can do this but I own my own business and put that address on my luggage tags. I only put my cell phone # on it also. I also only use First initials, Never my first name. Can't be too careful.

Last year a group of criminals in our area were at a local mall using a license plates tracking system to get owners names & address and they knew they weren't home. They made a call to others in the crime ring who robbed the houses. So yes all kinds of things are possible. Maybe not probable BUT possible.