Norwegian Cruise Line Bans Smoking on Balconies

Poohsmommi

Only with the ban went to effect earlier....sailing in September and October, just missing the wonderful change

Me too. Sailing just 2 sailings before it goes into effect. :( However, still good news for the future. I knew it was coming, just didn't expect it so soon!

I am a nonsmoker, but honestly, that announcement is exceptionally lame.

Concerned about the health & well-being of guests and crew? Really? But alcohol is healthy? Sugar? Bacon? Marine Diesel exhaust? Public hot tubs? None of those were limited.

And even more ridiculous - ban e-cigs "simply" because they look so realistic? SO I guess that means the ones that glow blue, or are shiny metal, or otherwise look nothing like a cigarette will be OK? I'm guessing not.

Seriously, don't offer an explanation if that's all you got. Just say these are the new rules and be done with it.

Treating e-cigs the same as cigarettes is just stupid, especially considering the explanation for it - that a bunch of people who refuse to mind their own business will perceive that the policy is not enforced.

While you believe that it is a stupid move, it seems to be pretty much the standard way in which e-cigarettes are being treated not only on this line but in most other venues (hotels, restaurants, public spaces etc) as well. Since the effects of using e-cigarettes are still in question, it seems that "better safe than sorry" is the rule. So much for the much-feared invasion of Carnival smokers.:)

I am a nonsmoker, but honestly, that announcement is exceptionally lame.

Concerned about the health & well-being of guests and crew? Really? But alcohol is healthy? Sugar? Bacon? Marine Diesel exhaust? Public hot tubs? None of those were limited.

And even more ridiculous - ban e-cigs "simply" because they look so realistic? SO I guess that means the ones that glow blue, or are shiny metal, or otherwise look nothing like a cigarette will be OK? I'm guessing not.

Seriously, don't offer an explanation if that's all you got. Just say these are the new rules and be done with it.

I completely agree Old Sole! As if the cruising industry is "concerned about the health & well-being of guests and crew" HA! No, they are just jumping on the "police state" bandwagon.

One less reason to cruise NCL. Mediocre at best. Was going to switch from Carnival to NCL before this decision. But with both of these line's decisions, compared to the more polished lines; Celebrity/Royal, the price better continue to be low. Not an advantage to travel Carnival anymore or attempt another trip on NCL. Epic was NOT epic and NCL Star was worse. As many other folks, we got locked out of our cabins twice on Star, and that was on a 2 day cruise. Way to go NCL, consistent.

Well, I wished they would have waited until after my December cruise to institute the new policy, but oh well.

As a smoker, I'm beyond used to being banned in many places so this is just another one. I will miss my quiet morning on the balcony, but schlepping up or down flights of stairs to a designated smoking area is certainly nothing I haven't had to do before. So, I'll see how the December cruise goes. If the designated smoking areas are reasonable, I would imagine it will not impact my willingness to cruise again. If it's a giant pain, then I'll probably be looking at different alternatives for future vacations. Not that I imagine that NCL really cares about my decision one way or another.

I do hope that now that the new policy has been announced we can stop having stupid smoking debates every week. But somehow I think that is unlikely.

What I was thinking last night is that this might be an insurance thing. I am sure that their premiums were going up or that they will go significantly down because of this policy. Fire on a ship = :eek:

I am glad my next cruise is November 9th, after the initiation of the policy!I am just hoping that smoking will not be allowed in the Great Outdoors on the aft of the ship as we have an aft cabin.

I completely agree Old Sole! As if the cruising industry is "concerned about the health & well-being of guests and crew" HA! No, they are just jumping on the "police state" bandwagon.

Thank you. Police state is what it is becoming. And no thinking that if they designate the last 20 percent or so of cabins at the aft of the ship would make more people happy than this decision. No more balconies for me. The money I save will pay for the inconvenience.

Well, I wished they would have waited until after my December cruise to institute the new policy, but oh well.

As a smoker, I'm beyond used to being banned in many places so this is just another one. I will miss my quiet morning on the balcony, but schlepping up or down flights of stairs to a designated smoking area is certainly nothing I haven't had to do before. So, I'll see how the December cruise goes. If the designated smoking areas are reasonable, I would imagine it will not impact my willingness to cruise again. If it's a giant pain, then I'll probably be looking at different alternatives for future vacations. Not that I imagine that NCL really cares about my decision one way or another.

I do hope that now that the new policy has been announced we can stop having stupid smoking debates every week. But somehow I think that is unlikely.

don't think there is a hope that some non smokers will ever stop complaining,, they will be the ones who walk through the smoking area and purposely walk through the smoking area, cough and make a snide comment and then complain to the cruise line and want compensation.

I do hope they are going to do something about the dreadful amount of drinking that goes on in the bars, and for that matter, banning sugar, bacon, hamburgers, icecream etc; after all NCL has an overarching duty to protect us from ourselves and from our possibly faulty lifestyle choices.

I'm very excited. So that means no smoking in the nightclubs and bars. My only disappointment is that it won't be in affect for my Oct. 19 cruise. I'm almost tempted to price a date after Nov. 1. And I also prefer Pepsi! :D

Maybe you should change to November, if it poses a problem from you. What's the difference, one month?

Maybe you should change to November, if it poses a problem from you. What's the difference, one month?

One month can actually make a big difference when sailing out of New York, weather-wise that is. That aside, while I'd love to be in the new smoke free environment, unfortunately I'm unable to change my date. However, the future looks bright. :)

Edited by yj2cute

Treating e-cigs the same as cigarettes is just stupid, especially considering the explanation for it - that a bunch of people who refuse to mind their own business will perceive that the policy is not enforced.

Totally agree. I don't smoke but my Wife uses E-cigs that look nothing like a real cigarette. I have no intention of advising her of this stupid ruling and we will see what happens on our balcony in due course.!!

don't think there is a hope that some non smokers will ever stop complaining,, they will be the ones who walk through the smoking area and purposely walk through the smoking area, cough and make a snide comment and then complain to the cruise line and want compensation.

Oh yeah, I have experienced that.

Thank you. Police state is what it is becoming. And no thinking that if they designate the last 20 percent or so of cabins at the aft of the ship would make more people happy than this decision. No more balconies for me. The money I save will pay for the inconvenience.

Police state....Please!!

Banning smoking has nothing to do with Big Brother.