What to do in San Francisco??

In February 2015, we are flying to San Francisco to join the Queen Elizabeth to cruise from San Francisco to New Zealand.

I have never been to San Francisco before, and it has been a while since I have been in the USA ( I think the last time I was in the USA was between 1995 and 1999!!).

What would you recommend doing in San Francisco for a first time visitor?

We got 3 - 4 days there before our cruise.

I live in the bay area and popular places to visit include Pier 39, North Beach ( not a beach but a mini little Italy with fantastic restaurants), Ghirardelli square and Union Square (shopping). The Buena Vista is known for their Irish coffee and a neat place to visit. The cable cars are fun and a trip down Lombard street (famous windy road) is also an experience with a view of the Pacific as you head down the road. Of course there is always the Golden Gate bridge! Enjoy your time here...lots to do and see. :)

See this show if you can. It is very funny and a lot of fun. It is topical and changes a lot over time. It is in North Beach.

Take a walk over the Golden Gate Bridge, if it's not a foggy day. It is a fun thing to do. You can walk just halfway over if you want; don't need to walk to the far end. Take a Hop On Hop Off bus the whole circuit to see everything, before deciding where to get off.

There have been some great suggestions. Just wanted to add that Alcatraz is a hoot, but make sure that tickets are purchased in advance as they frequently are sold out. We also enjoy taking a ferry over to Sausalito on a nice day, as the views of San Francisco are lovely. For those who enjoy art museums consider a visit to the De Young. For those who enjoy historic ships there is the San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park.

• 2 weeks later...

I would get yourself a map so you can see the lay of the city. It will help. Some suggestions:

Visit Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39

Visit Alcatraz and purchase tickets on line as often they are sold out the day of the tour

Visit the Ferry Building and also Chinatown and North Beach which is the Italian area of San Francisco.

Take a Cable Car

I would purchase a guide book soon and also a map so you can plan out what you will do each day.

Keith

We like to take the Hop on Hop off buses whenever exploring a new city, to get the lay of the land. We do the complete tour and then we will go back to the areas that we find interesting.

Be sure to visit The Haight area - very interesting (accessible by the hop on hop off bus). Popular area of locals, street art, hippies - think of 1967 Summer of Love.

Rent a bike and ride over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito. You can then return to either Fisherman's Wharf or the Ferry Building by ferry with your bike. (Some bike rentals are included in the cost of the hop on hop off bus, but only give you a one hour rental).

Have dinner in North Beach then go see the show Beach Blanket Babylon.

There is a free arts and crafts market on the weekends between the financial district and the Ferry Building.

... and then of course the usual touristy stuff like Fisherman's Wharf, Alcatraz, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

the haight is creepy and touristy...the hippies left in 1968. I live about 10 minutes from there and never go there. museums downtown, and in golden gate park, the bridge, all the national park sights..fisherman's wharf, ferry building, a tourist bus to muir woods...alcatraz (book several months early).

rent a bike and go along crissy field to ft point (under the bridge). see the golden gate bridge..

check out the neighborhoods..the outer richmond, outerlands area in sunset. or dinner or lunch at west portal, check out cole and carl street. or noe valley on 24th street the ethnic food on clement street or around 20th on geary.

I would:

Ride a cable car

Go to Alcatraz

Go see Lombard street

The food in San Francisco is outstanding, eat some crab and sourdough bread

Go to golden gate park and admire the view

Coit tower is a maybe

Pier 39 if you like tourist traps

Ghirardelli square is another tourist trap but interesting

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

What would you recommend doing in San Francisco for a first time visitor?

We got 3 - 4 days there before our cruise.

If you are around Chinatown.... head over to the Golden Gate Fortune Cookie factory. The stuff is fresh, I buy nearly a dozen bags ($4 each?) to share with co-workers. My carry-on is solid with their cookies.

PS.... I think they are the only place that sells risque ADULT fortune cookies!

It's so sad they don't do mail order. It's a must stop for every one of my San Fran visits.

BTW.... interested in trying out some Chinese food? You should look for some "Dim Sum" places in San Fran. It's a form of Chinese "high tea" for breakfast/lunch.

Edited by xlxo

• 4 weeks later...

If you have a car, go to Muir Woods in Marin County. Fabulous.

Most tourists seem to get a kick out of the Cliff House restaurant. (I've taken a lot of friends there.) The Stinking Rose is fun, too.

Go for cocktails in one of the great SF hotels, Fairmont, Mark Hopkins, etc.. I like the Palace Hotel because of the history there.

You can go to Mission Delores.

If you have time and a car, drive down Highway 1.

There are a lot of options, and it sounds like you have a lot of time.

Ohiodoglover

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know this ship has sailed, but if you find this post and you are going to San Francisco --- Do NOT MISS. A true California legend In-N -OUT Burger. Once found only in California, now in Vegas, Arizona, Utah, and Texas. Best , freshest BURGER EVER. Inquire about their "secret menu" online before you go. I have sent ships crew there and they love it too.

Edited by warrior13

• 3 weeks later...
I know this ship has sailed, but if you find this post and you are going to San Francisco --- Do NOT MISS. A true California legend In-N -OUT Burger. Once found only in California, now in Vegas, Arizona, Utah, and Texas. Best , freshest BURGER EVER. Inquire about their "secret menu" online before you go. I have sent ships crew there and they love it too.

That's funny as I was about to give the same suggestion. Out of all the fancy places to eat in SF, I just really wanted to try an In-N-Out burger. After hearing how famous they were, it was nice to be able to try one. It was great! The fries too!

+++++1 :)

A true California "Must Eat"

Srpilo

The only In-N OUT Burger in San Francisco is in Fisherman's Wharf.

• 2 months later...