Panama Canal Tolls

donaldsc

You are not kidding... if you want to transit the Canal... bring your check book! Oops, I forgot... the Canal only accepts cash! The price per passenger berth is also going to rise when the new locks open in April. I'm sure that isn't a surprise, but it is not as bad as you might think. For passenger ships using the current locks the toll will rise to $138 per pass. berth. Ships using the new locks will pay $148/ppb. Have heard if the new locks don't open as planned will the new tolls go into effect or not.

Some of the other substantial additional charges you mentioned... for a Panamax size passenger ship (approx. 965x106)...

Reservation for specific day; $35,000

Daylight transit guarantee; $30,000

Tugs; $12,000

Wires from mules; $4800

Canal Linehandlers $4500

Very easy for a Panamax ship to have a bill North of $300K.

This is an interesting post that tells how much it costs for a ship to traverse the Panama Canal.

http://www.pancanal.com/eng/op/tariff/index.html

You need to work your way in a bit but if you do, you will find that the cost is $134 per passenger plus additional costs which I am sure add up to a lot.

DON

That is not the "per passenger" tariff, but the "per passenger capacity" tariff. So, if a ship has a 1000 pax capacity, it will pay $134,000 whether it has one passenger or 1000. There is a reduced "ballast" rate for passenger ships (didn't look at your link to see if it was there), but that only applies if there are no passengers whatsoever onboard.

Edited, checked the tariff, it is based on Panama Canal tonnage if ship is not carrying passengers.

Edited by chengkp75

You are not kidding... if you want to transit the Canal... bring your check book! Oops, I forgot... the Canal only accepts cash! The price per passenger berth is also going to rise when the new locks open in April. I'm sure that isn't a surprise, but it is not as bad as you might think. For passenger ships using the current locks the toll will rise to $138 per pass. berth. Ships using the new locks will pay $148/ppb. Have heard if the new locks don't open as planned will the new tolls go into effect or not.

Some of the other substantial additional charges you mentioned... for a Panamax size passenger ship (approx. 965x106)...

Reservation for specific day; $35,000

Daylight transit guarantee; $30,000

Tugs; $12,000

Wires from mules; $4800

Canal Linehandlers $4500

Very easy for a Panamax ship to have a bill North of $300K.

Yep, and cash in advance.