Colonial Panama and Miraflores Locks or Ferry Boat Tour?

kac0426

Will be on a partial transit in Nov/Dec. I've read numerous things saying you absolutely must do the ferry boat tour and I've also read that Panama City is absolutely worth seeing. I find the canal interesting but I'm not fascinated by it like some, so I don't know that the ferry boat tour would mean that much to me. On the other hand, getting to tour Panama City sounds really neat. Would I be making a huge mistake in not taking the ferry tour?

Unless you feel you MUST more locks, stay on the ship...the partial transit is an 'excursion" unto itself! All of the tours are 6-10 hours long....and it's ungodly HOT.

Like you, I was happy to see the Canal, but really could give a rat's ass about seeing every lock.....

The ferry tour is a wonderful option for people who want to see a large part of the Canal but only have time for the 10/11 day partial transit cruise and not a full transit which takes 14/15 days. There are two sets of locks on the Pacific side of the Canal and they function just like the one set of locks on the Atlantic side. While the Gatun Locks on the Atlantic side are scenic and interesting, there are more visual treats on the Pacific side. Not only do you have the two sets of locks separated by the second of two artificial lakes on the Canal, but you have Gaillard Cut. Gaillard Cut is where the lion's share of excavation took place to create a man made fjord. Throw in sailing beneath two really striking bridges and get a glimpse of the new expansion locks, this can give you a great overview of the Canal without a full transit when you include your morning trip through Gatun Locks.

I know all that does not help much in your decision, but then you will have decide on just how interested in the Canal you are. Panama City certainly is a very dynamic and diverse place. Are you going on Princess? Because that is the tour description I read... I know what they were trying to say, however I don't think too many others could get an accurate idea of what you will actually do on the tour. Looks like they will take you to the three Panama Cities... Old Panama (the one that Henry Morgan sacked) then on to Casco Viejo which is often compared to the French Quarter in New Orleans. This is where the City was relocated after Morgan carried out his version of urban renewal. Of course all in between those two sites you have all sorts of skyscrapers that make up the modern day Panama City.

Just a side note... when I did the Panama City tour, Old Panama part was just a drive by, you did not get to stop and play among the ruins.

Miraflores Locks is set up to be the showplace locks with a very nice observation tower, lots of displays and such. Worth a visit since you will be driving by anyway.

Hope this makes your decision easier and not harder!:)

The ferry tour is a wonderful option for people who want to see a large part of the Canal but only have time for the 10/11 day partial transit cruise and not a full transit which takes 14/15 days. There are two sets of locks on the Pacific side of the Canal and they function just like the one set of locks on the Atlantic side. While the Gatun Locks on the Atlantic side are scenic and interesting, there are more visual treats on the Pacific side. Not only do you have the two sets of locks separated by the second of two artificial lakes on the Canal, but you have Gaillard Cut. Gaillard Cut is where the lion's share of excavation took place to create a man made fjord. Throw in sailing beneath two really striking bridges and get a glimpse of the new expansion locks, this can give you a great overview of the Canal without a full transit when you include your morning trip through Gatun Locks.

I know all that does not help much in your decision, but then you will have decide on just how interested in the Canal you are. Panama City certainly is a very dynamic and diverse place. Are you going on Princess? Because that is the tour description I read... I know what they were trying to say, however I don't think too many others could get an accurate idea of what you will actually do on the tour. Looks like they will take you to the three Panama Cities... Old Panama (the one that Henry Morgan sacked) then on to Casco Viejo which is often compared to the French Quarter in New Orleans. This is where the City was relocated after Morgan carried out his version of urban renewal. Of course all in between those two sites you have all sorts of skyscrapers that make up the modern day Panama City.

Just a side note... when I did the Panama City tour, Old Panama part was just a drive by, you did not get to stop and play among the ruins.

Miraflores Locks is set up to be the showplace locks with a very nice observation tower, lots of displays and such. Worth a visit since you will be driving by anyway.

Hope this makes your decision easier and not harder!:)

Thanks Bill! But NO it does not make my decision easier because you make both excursions sound really interesting! :) Yes, we will be on Princess so the excursion to Panama that you described is correct. I really appreciate the extra detail on that one since, like you said, the website isn't 100% clear. I think I'll go with the Colonial Panama excursion. I know I'll get a decent overview of the locks as we go through them on the cruise ship, and then I can get a variety by doing the Panama tour. Thanks again!

Several years ago we took a Holland America ferry excursion from Gatun Lake through the Cut to Pacific Locks and will be doing so again in Jan 2016!!

Yes it was hot & humid, but not "ungodly" or horribly hot!!! What we were seeing made up for any normal heat. There were 3 decks (bottom 2 inside sitting, top deck all outside partly shaded) & we sat up top at a table in shade. Light lunch was served buffet style on the lowest deck. Drinks & snacks available for purchase. I prepared for heat & for rain showers: I took a couple bottles of water, sunscreen, an extra shirt & hat, a washcloth, a towel, an umbrella (for rain or too much sun) & plastic ponchos (in case of rain). I walked up to front of deck where there was a breeze. We really really enjoyed the Ferry!! As I recall there was some commentary. The cut, continental divide, bridge were quite interesting. We passed several ships (containers, cruise ships, yachts, etc) heading to the Gatun Locks. The 3 Pacific side locks are 1 by itself & 2 together. We had to wait briefly to go into 1 of those Pacific locks, while a large ship entered the lock ahead of us and a smaller boat caught up with our ferry to go through with us. There was a large observation building close to the canal. Then we could see the tall buildings of Panama City in the distance and then sailed into the Pacific ocean.

Most of the bus ride to Colon to meet up with our ship was through city & country. Near Colon was a terrible traffic jam due to a couple of downtown buildings on fire....our bus driver creatively cut through several parking lots & side streets to get out of the traffic standstill & back to the ship!!

• 3 months later...

Cruiser Kay; We are scheduled to sail on the Zuiderdam in April. We are unsure about what excursions to take from either Colon or Puerto Limon. Right now we have reserved the PANAMA RAILROAD STANDARD RAIL CAR, MIRAFLORES excursion. I'd love to get your perspective when you return from your January cruise.