Is La Romana D.R. safe? Stay on Ship?

GeorgiaMango

I will be on the Breeze in 10 days and wondering if it's safe in La Romana, Dominican Republic? Has anyone been there recently? I wanted to book a Day Pass at Dreams Resort, but it isn't offered through the cruise line and we would have to take a taxi on our own. I am concerned about that after reading some threads on how unsafe DR is and also the US Embassy warnings. The resort doesn't offer transportation arrangements, so we are wondering if we should just stay on the ship at this port?

• 1 month later...
I will be on the Breeze in 10 days and wondering if it's safe in La Romana, Dominican Republic? Has anyone been there recently? I wanted to book a Day Pass at Dreams Resort, but it isn't offered through the cruise line and we would have to take a taxi on our own. I am concerned about that after reading some threads on how unsafe DR is and also the US Embassy warnings. The resort doesn't offer transportation arrangements, so we are wondering if we should just stay on the ship at this port?

We've been to the dreams resort 2 or 3 times and had no problems taking a taxi there. It's a gorgeous resort!

No worries, very safe area. We've stayed at Dreams La Romana and it's a nice resort but it does get crowded. Bayahibe is a nearby is a small fishing village where you can enjoy the beach and also great little restaurants and shopping in town. You can take a wawa ($1 bus) to Dominicus and enjoy that beach there too.

If you'd like something a bit more adventurous look at the Saona Island excursion with Seavis Tours. Excellent day and they arrange for the taxi for you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You should be fine by taking taxi and go to resort. We decided to stay on board this time.

• 1 month later...

This is the latest contact at Dreams econcierge.drelr@dreamsresorts.com

This was my email from them....

We offer day passes at the cost of $65 per adult (12 and above) under the age of 2 are free, and any age in between 2 and 12 receive 50% discount, this is payable upon arrival via cash or credit card.

The pass is valid between the hours of 10.30am-5pm and it entitles you to food and drinks, (soft drinks and alcohol) as well as the use of the pools and beach area, this pass does not entitle you to the use of our Preferred Club area or a room.

Transportation is not included, but a taxi service is available from the port area.

Upon arrival, an ID is mandatory for check-in.

If this is of any interest please let me know and I can check availability for you.

Kind regards,

Paola Marte

eConcierge

Dreams La Romana

We've stayed at Dreams La Romana, and although a nice property it can be very crowded around the pools and on the beach because there are so many rooms in this smaller-sized property. But if you want a resort experience with a pool this is probably your only option.

It's a 10 minute stroll along the beach to Bayahibe, a small fishing village, and the public beach there is also nice and you can buy drinks and food at the nearby beach bars and find several shops there. Much less expensive, more authentic, and more enjoyable IMHO. You'd just have the driver drop you at the public beach in Bayahibe.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I did a day pass there. The place is very nice and it was definitely safe.