Should I give royal a try?

I am a loyal carnival cruise In My late 20's. I like to be on the go, shows, comedy, bars, club, food are the most important to me. I'm cruising in September either on navigator of the seas with royal or carnival freedom and they both are the same price and go to the same ports: cozumel, jamaica, Cayman Islands- which I've already been to so the ship is very important. What do you recommend? I hear royal is catered to the Older generation and could be more laid back, relaxing and boring which I want no part of. Please help!!

I am a loyal carnival cruise In My late 20's. I like to be on the go, shows, comedy, bars, club, food are the most important to me. I'm cruising in September either on navigator of the seas with royal or carnival freedom and they both are the same price and go to the same ports: cozumel, jamaica, Cayman Islands- which I've already been to so the ship is very important. What do you recommend? I hear royal is catered to the Older generation and could be more laid back, relaxing and boring which I want no part of. Please help!!

First of all: Welcome to Cruise Critic! :D

Do consider giving RCCL a try. It's fun to "Sleep Around"! :D

LuLu

OLDER That is HAL

OFF the top of my head

Navigator of the Seas had a Refit February 2014

Navigator 15 Decks Capacity 3990 VS 14 Dceks 2974 Capacity

Virtual Balconies Rooms these rooms have a Second Large HD Screen that shows Images of the Ocean

FlowRider -Surf Simulator

220-square foot outdoor screen for Movies and TV Shows

I agree with Bob... stick with Carnival if you want that kind of cruise. If you done a few cruises you may also get repeat cruiser benefits on Carnival that you won't get on RCI. The Navigator is slightly bigger and RCI has the "Promenade" thing where lots of stuff happens, but if you want to try RCI sometime and you like a lot of stuff going on you should try Oasis or Allure.

We really like RCI and our 20 and 30-something kids like RCI as well, so you likely can't go too wrong, but you'd probably like "Freedom of the Seas" class or Oasis better I bet.

Tom

If you really are so apprehensive about changing, don't. Stick with what you like :D

With all the changes lately with RCL I will stick with Carnival

Before December anyone in the Office would ask me what cruise should I go on?

I would always tell them RCL of course,

Not anymore I tell anyone that sounds great to you, all of them are changing daily.:(

With all the changes lately with RCL I will stick with Carnival

Before December anyone in the Office would ask me what cruise should I go on?

I would always tell them RCL of course,

Not anymore I tell anyone that sounds great to you, all of them are changing daily.:(

Gee, no thanks to you that RCL's ships sail full.

I went on my first Royal cruise at 19 (Grandeur) and then again in my later 20s on my honeymoon (Voyager so same class as Navigator). Our next cruise is with our kids who will be 10.5 and 6.5 years. I would hardly say call their ships boring. So much to do with amazing shows and bars/lounges and great food.

Edited by LuCruise

You never know unless you give it a try. Each ship has their own quirks about them. Some cruise lines have great entertainment, some are more relaxing, etc. To me it is what you make out of you experience.

I just went on my RCCL cruise and enjoyed it. Beautiful ship, great cruise director and staff, etc.

But if you are going on the cruise with doubt then stick with what you are already familiar with.

Just my 2 cents. :)

I'm in my upper 20's and my family and I have been on 2 Carnival cruises and 2 Royal Caribbean cruises. We enjoyed both the same, but I think we liked Royal a little better as they were more recent. We've been on a small ship- Monarch of the Seas and a bigger ship Explorer of the Seas which we absolutely loved. My Family is going on RCCL Vision of the Seas out of Tampa in April since it's going to islands they haven't been to yet. Next week My fiancé and I are going on Norwegian Breakaway out of NY. This will be our first time trying "freestyle cruising". I say give RC a try since it's the same trip and you never know how something is until you experience it first hand for yourself. Plus you can go on the Roll Call for both ships to see the ages of people going to give you a better idea of the crowd. Just listen to what everyone is saying with it's your vacation, it's what you make of it. Also listen to your gut and which one you're feeling better about. Hope this helps. :D

Yes GO RC!! I have 53 cruises under my belt, although now I am 51 lol but I been on many carnival and RC ships along with Princess and NCL.

You will find the service, buffets, shows/entertainment to be ABOVE Carnival!! They do have late night dancing with a dj and depending upon what ship you go on they have 70's night party. I believe on the Explorer the late night music/dancing is up in the Viking Crown Lounge in Dizzys and then you also have the chamber for late night music also. Carnival does offer the live band playing "rock music". RC also has live music out at the main pool area during the daytime. The pools are larger and fresh water on RC and you must go to the ice show they are all amazing! You probably are like me stay up late to the wee hours RC offers you more items to eat where Carnival its only pizza.

Edited by lyndamr

If you've never been on Carnival Freedom (or any of the Conquest class ships) and you're pretty loyal to Carnival perhaps you should try that class of ship. If you have done cruise on a Conquest class ship then, as others have mentioned, why not give RCI (Navigator) a try? You may find it to your liking but if not, at least you experienced it and know you'll probably stick with CCL in the future.

Personally, we choose our cruises for itinerary and price, rather than for which line it is. And there seem to be way more similarities than differences between the mainstream lines, for us, anyway.

We don't have kids that cruise with us, so kids clubs doesn't matter. We generally cruise when school is in session, which can really make quite a difference in the demographic, and, therefore, ambiance, of any given cruise line.

We like food, in general, so we always find something we enjoy. We do or don't go to the shows, depending on the timing and our mood, but, really, have never had a bad time at any of the production shows (and we attend Broadway and other professional productions pretty regularly. Then again, we've been going to dance school recitals and competitions for years, as well, so our tolerance is pretty high for less than stellar performances :rolleyes:).

There are things some lines do better than others, but mostly we find the differences too minor to sway our decision to cruise one over the other. If, or when, we cruise for the ship alone, this ideology of ours may change.

You said the ship is important and you appear to be asking for advice. I suggest you give the Navigator a try so you can have something to compare with Carnival. As with any other cruise, the demographics is determined by the time of year and the itinerary.

We came over to Royal Caribbean after trying Carnival. We picked Carnival specifically for the itineraries since we wanted to see Mayan ruins and drive to the cruise port. We enjoy RC for a number of reasons and have been very happy with our choices.

We enjoyed each of our Carnival cruises, but we enjoy RC much more! We have another RC cruise booked for December.

Take lots of pictures. Make wonderful memories! You will have a great time!

Carnival Freedom is great ship. I was just on it in January right before she left Ft Lauderdale. I've sailed, Carnival, Royal, Princess, Norwegian and Disney. I'd have to say Royal is my favorite with Carnival second. The entertainment is awesome on Royal and they really have unique things on their ships. They all go to the same places! It can't hurt to try Royal.

I have been on both and they were pretty much the same. Carnival did seem to be more "festive" and actually had better food then RC. I don't perfer one over the other though.

It has been about 10 years since my carnival cruise and 8 years since RC so im sure things have changed.

The Navigator and her crew is awesome in my opinion. I sailed on the Navigator in December and we are going back in May before she moves on. I think the ship has a LOT to offer and I can't say enough good things about the service when we were on board.

I don't think you could really make a bad choice, but... Royal also doesn't limit the drinks on their drink package and you don't have to wait until the second day to buy one. :-)

Try something new. :-)