Bill Leiber, Can You Help With London Tour Questions?

Angiet2

Hi Bill,

Since you appear to be the 'magic man' at getting answers to all of our crazy questions, I am hoping you can help on this one.:rolleyes:

I am on the July 6, 2012 Journey (Copenhagen to Amsterdam, 11 nights) cruise. I am stunned that Azamara is basically offering NO comprehensive tours in London (we are in London 2 partial days and 1 full day). Yes, I know that 17 days after we are there, the Olympics arrive...BUT, would Azamara really force its passengers to find private tours versus offering tours for us to purchase because of this?

Thank you, for your help... I have never been to London and am so excited to experience as much as possible, in this amazing city.

Warmest Regards,

Angie

Hi Bill,

Since you appear to be the 'magic man' at getting answers to all of our crazy questions, I am hoping you can help on this one.:rolleyes:

I am on the July 6, 2012 Journey (Copenhagen to Amsterdam, 11 nights) cruise. I am stunned that Azamara is basically offering NO comprehensive tours in London (we are in London 2 partial days and 1 full day). Yes, I know that 17 days after we are there, the Olympics arrive...BUT, would Azamara really force its passengers to find private tours versus offering tours for us to purchase because of this?

Thank you, for your help... I have never been to London and am so excited to experience as much as possible, in this amazing city.

Warmest Regards,

Angie

Hello Angie -

Please give me some time to check out your very relevant question about the tours that will be offered to the heart of London from Greenwich, which is six miles south.

Actually, Angie, I don't have any magical powers. Instead I'm focused on finding the facts so that all of us can understand the context in which Azamara's decisions have been made.

Thanks for your patience!

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Hello Angie and others -

Thanks for your patience as I did some fact finding to explain why the tour offerings in London favored "private car or van with driver" rather than more options for tours available for purchase.

First, we do offer a comprehensive set of tours for our guests in London during July 11, 12 and 13:

 London Panoramic (Excellent for first-time visitors)

 Leeds Castle located in the heart of Kent

 Historic Billingsgate fish market - UK's largest inland fish market

 Kensington Palace - the official residence for the British royalty including the Duke & Duchess of Windsor

 Winston Churchill's Cabinet War rooms in Greenwich.

 Royal Windsor Castle

 Theatre a la carte

The reason why there are not more is because there are so many must-see-sites in London that it is impossible to combine them all into one full day tour. Furthermore, because these sites are all so varied it makes it difficult to choose among them to create a line-up of tours that would have sufficient appeal to all so that in the end they would actually operate. Our shore excursion team has found from past experience, that when they've created such a list that not all tours draw sufficient guest interest which means that in the end, they face the risk of having to disappoint while you're onboard, by advising you they've been cancelled because of not meeting their minimum tours requirements for operation.

Another thought, since English is the common language and London has excellent public transport as well as taxi services perhaps you are a guest who might be comfortable venturing out on your own to see exactly what you want to see without hoping on a "tour" bus with a group of other people.

With that in mind, it makes sense to offer trips outside of London which are more difficult and costly to attempt on your own. Therefore, we offer also a range of private vehicles and/or vans for a half- or full-day available for pre-purchase at the 50% Land Discovery Savings. Generally, the vehicles are three (3)-passenger cars or six (6)-passenger vans. Keep in mind that the tour price shown is PER VEHICLE, NOT PER PERSON. Please see the information listed under GW18 - Private Car with Driver Acting As Guide for complete details and conditions. It is shown on page '16 of 62' within the tour list for July 11, 2012. First you must get to the specific pdf through our website. Here's a link: http://browse.azamaraclubcruises.com/shoreExcursions/brochure/view.do

Of course you can visit Cruise Critic's "Azamara Journey Roll Call" section and engage with one of the 175 conversations already started on this specific voyage and seek to partner with someone who seems to be a first-time visitor to London. I noticed "iLove2crews" your request for an all-day tour to Stonehenge. Bath & Windsor" posted there. Here's a link to Roll Call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=430

For further assistance or tour customization, you can contact the Group Shore Excursion Department at groupshorex@rccl.com or call Azamara reservations.

Should you decide to wait until your onboard, you could visit our onboard concierge to arrange a private tour perhaps with others that you've while you were at sea. I want to reiterate that your will be operated by the same tour operator firm that is operating our ship run tours.

I hope that this information has been helpful.

My best wishes for a very memorable and exciting first-visit to London and a very Happy vacation on Azamara!

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

As a Brit long in the tooth doing London trips but not on this cruise can I add a few comments to help you think about the interesting range of discoveries events. London in July will be busy so if you do wander off on your own, build in plenty time margins for getting back whatever the method you are using.

Some useful links on the places - Leeds Castle

http://www.leeds-castle.com/land.php

If you want a nice out of London trip - perhaps if you have "done" London and Windsor before this is a wonderful historic place. Getting to Leeds Castle will not involve travelling through London which may appeal to some

Billingsgate will be an early morning tour

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Business/Markets/Billingsgate+Market/

I wonder if you will be sourcing items for a "deck party" In the same area as Billingsgate are some of the Olympic sites I am sure you will see them from the bus

Kensington Palace - can I just update Bill's post - its not the long gone Windsors who live there - they never did - its William and Kate!!!!! Actually they are not moving in just yet but you would get to see where they will live and of course it was where Charles and Diana lived. Its just gone through a massive change of exhibitions, has been shut for a while and it is high on my list of places to go to soon

http://www.hrp.org.uk/KensingtonPalace/

Anyone who has any interest in World history, the Churchill War Rooms situated in Whitehall are fascinating. We went with someone else because they wanted to go and just loved them. You will be near Houses of Parliament, Whitehall and Downing Street so right in the heart of

http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/churchill-war-rooms UK government

Windsor will be your longest drive and much of that may be on motorway as you have to get across London they will need to use it but is fascinating once you get there- I am not sure you can keep an eye on it but the Queen might be there at the time- does not affect visits

http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/default.asp?action=article&ID=34

I would not like to be choosing between one of these, they are all great

And for anyone planning to do things on their own, you would be very hard pushed to combine two of these trips other than Billingsgate (early morning) and a London trip

Enjoy choosing!!!

Hello UKtog -

Thank you very much for your kindness in sharing your first-hand sightseeing insights to a first-time visitor to London.

Thanks to you, Angie now has evidence that she'll be welcomed warmly when she takes her first step in London!

Cheers!

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hi Bill & UKTog!

Thank YOU, so much, for taking the time to write such nice replies to my post.

I just cannot express how truly excited we are to cruise with Azamara (for the 1st time!) this July! We have cruised Seabourn before, but found it to be a bit stuffy (and a wee bit on the dull side!) for our liking.

After experiencing the wonderfully, friendly vibe from everyone I have had the pleasure to 'meet' on CruiseCritic, I can only imagine how great the actual experience will be.

Hurry Up, July!:D

Angie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi THere,

My husband Bill and I will be taking this cruise with you! Perhaps we can plan some outings together! My favorite things to do in London include Theatre (relatively inexpensive & fabulous, attending auctions at Christie's or Sotheby's if there is anything of interest...(I bought an amazing Silver Teakettle years ago...We love London Walks.. Want to do some excursions together? You can reach me at home at 858 759-9500..

BIll and I look forward to meeting up with you!

Kindest regards,

Sue Ann Scheck

Hi THere,

My husband Bill and I will be taking this cruise with you! Perhaps we can plan some outings together! My favorite things to do in London include Theatre (relatively inexpensive & fabulous, attending auctions at Christie's or Sotheby's if there is anything of interest...(I bought an amazing Silver Teakettle years ago...We love London Walks.. Want to do some excursions together? You can reach me at home at 858 759-9500..

BIll and I look forward to meeting up with you!

Kindest regards,

Sue Ann Scheck

Hi Sue Ann,

Welcome to Cruise Critic !

The Roll Call Forums, is the place to meet other Cruise Critic friends on your sailing, and continue this discussion.

Here is a direct link to your Roll Call : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1554084

As Bill Leiber has responded to the initial question, this thread is now closed.

Archived