Actual Passenger/Space Ratio for Freedom of the Seas.

In other posts people have claimed that the passenger to space ratio on the Freedom of the Seas will be very low. I have found that that is not the case. Rccl claims that she will hold 3,600 passengers and will weigh 158,000 gts. If you divide 158,000 by 3,600 you get a passenger space ratio of 43.8. That number sounds great to me.

That PSR is pretty good by today's standards, but the 158,000 you mention is not the ship's weight, nor its displacement - it is the Gross Registered Tonnage, a measurement of the interior space!

To get space/passenger you would need to know the sq.ft. of the public area and divide that by the number of passengers. I don't know where you will obtain the square ft. of public space (including staterooms).

To get space/passenger you would need to know the sq.ft. of the public area and divide that by the number of passengers. I don't know where you will obtain the square ft. of public space (including staterooms).

That is not true. Do the math on some of the other ships passenger space ratio. I am prety sure It is size divided by passenger capacity. Unless I am wrong but I don't think I am.

Ship: Size/Passengers = Space Ratio

Voyager: 138,000/3,114 = 44.3

Radiance: 90,090/2,501 = 36.0

Freedom: 158,000/3,600 = 43.8

Summit: 91,000/2,032 = 44.7

Passenger Space Ratio (PSR) is the result of dividing the Gross Registered Tonnage (GRT) by double occupancy lower berths.

As noted elsewhere, GRT is a measurement of interior volume of the ship, not its deadweight tonnage, nor its displacement.

According to RCI website, particularly this page http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do;jsessionid=00005ka-SkbyGtTf1ndfsnT5XSe:v29bc6gq?br=R&shipClassCode=FR&shipCode=FR passenger capactiy will be 4370.

I don't know what is used to calculate PSR, but common sense tells me those additional 770 passengers will take up space too. JAT :D

Guest OBAYbee
According to RCI website, particularly this page http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do;jsessionid=00005ka-SkbyGtTf1ndfsnT5XSe:v29bc6gq?br=R&shipClassCode=FR&shipCode=FR passenger capactiy will be 4370.

I don't know what is used to calculate PSR, but common sense tells me those additional 770 passengers will take up space too. JAT :D

That is total passenger capacity dbl occupancy. Keep in mind that about 200 of those are additional crew for crews quarters. They've also added larger suites with significantly larger passenger capacity in them such as the Presidential suite that sleeps 16 passengers. There are more family suites as well on this ship. Besides the 4 RFS they've added a Promenade Family room that will also sleep 8.

"http://www.royalcaribbean.com/pressroom/info.do;jsessionid=0000z6nzn4KcDIH4psuU80EaT5E:v2mocajr?prDate=05-05-2005&prCode=B"

From^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

At 158,000 GRT and holding 3,600 guests double-occupancy, Freedom of the Seas will be the largest cruise ship in the world when she debuts in May 2006. The first in Royal Caribbean's new Freedom class, she will be the most forward-looking and innovative ship the company has built to date. Freedom of the Seas will sail seven-night Western Caribbean itineraries from Miami calling in Cozumel, Mexico; George Town, Grand Cayman; Montego Bay, Jamaica; and Royal Caribbean's private destination, Labadee, Hispaniola.

That PSR is pretty good by today's standards, but the 158,000 you mention is not the ship's weight, nor its displacement - it is the Gross Registered Tonnage, a measurement of the interior space!

I thought that "Gross Tonnage" referred to the passengers butts at the end of the cruise......:rolleyes:

• 11 months later...

Everything RCCL does is right on in my book. The absolute only time their Voyager class ships feel crowded is on formal nights (photo lines) and during the Royal Promenade parades. The "WOW" factor of these ships is without comparison. Freedom of the Seas promises to go one better. I've been on all types of ships (QE2 and QM2, etc.) and always come back to RCCL. Nothing in the world like going to an incredibly well done ice skating show, the amazing main dining room (check out pix of this space!!!) and then the professional quality and size theater for the fabulour show. Can't wait for the cruise in Ausust!! Happy cruising!!!!

Archived