Assigned roommates on a cruise?

FamilyCruiseDiva

So this may be a very silly question.....

I was recently watching my Love Boat DVDs and noticed that in many episodes they show single/solo cruisers placed in cabins with strangers.

Did this ever happen on any cruise line in real life? Or was this just TV fiction? :confused:

20+ years ago I went to a Club Med and had an assigned roommate, so that this may have happened doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.

Just hoping someone here may know.... :D

Princess used to do it. Back in 2003 I took a cruise and paid the single supplement to get a cabin by myself. On the cruise I met up with a lady you had signed up for an assigned cabin mate, but had not been assigned one, so ended up with a cabin by herself (for a lot less than I paid). We guessed that if I had signed up to "share" we would have been sharing a cabin together!

I thought HAL and some of the smaller lines still offered the service, but can't find any current information to confirm, but it might be worth a search if it made the financial difference between cruising and not cruising.

Sometimes they paired people up without telling you. My mother and I were coming home from the UK on the original Queen Mary (this was 1962). We walked into our cabin and it had two sets of bunk beds. A few minutes later two ladies walked in. They were our roommates! My mother was not happy. They offered us a nicer cabin for $300 which was about what we had paid to start with. We stayed with the ladies.

Holland America still offers a Single Partners Program:

Single guests who agree to share a stateroom with another nonsmoking guest of the same sex pay only the per-person, double-occupancy rate. (If we can't find a partner for you, you cruise solo at the agreed-upon double-occupancy fare.) Single guests who prefer not to share a stateroom may book a double stateroom for 150 to 200 percent of the double occupancy fare, depending on the cruise and stateroom category. This program applies to selected staterooms on all ships in our fleet. The Single Partner Program is not available on Grand Voyages or Alaska CruiseTours.

Princess used to offer a solo share program. They would match you with another solo cruisers or you got the cabin to yourself. I believe HAL still does this. Many other lines used to offer it too. I remember Carnival back in the 80's offered a 4 berth single share cabin program. Remember, that in the older days cruise fares were much higher so to made it affordable for solo cruisers cruise lines would offer these programs. However, with liability/compatibility issues and cheaper fares & available berths it doesn't make as much sense any more. But, several travel agent who do those single's group cruises and well as some specialty charter companies who offer cabins shares since there are a much higher number of solo cruisers which makes it more affordable for them. But, its the travel/tour company doing the cabin mate assignments; not the cruise line. So, yes you still can do a cabin share through these companies on the various sailing dates that they offer. I believe a majority of cabin shares work out fine, but you will always have compatible issues which always carries a risk. I've been lucky and always got good cabin mates.

P&O Australia used to. My first cruise was on the Fairstar, 20+ year ago.

The cabin had 2 sets of bunk beds. I shared with 3 other ladies. I of course got there after they did, so I had a top bunk and had to climb up the first few nights. Lucky for me (not so for them), 2 of the girls had an accident at our first port and had to leave the ship, as they spent it in a hospital on the island...

I looked at HAL's share program a few years ago. Because they use the larger cabins for this program it was actually cheaper for me to pay the single suppliment (sp?) in a smaller cabin. I also had a bad experience traveling with a friend so for me it's actually worth having the cabin to myself.

• 3 weeks later...

All the polar expedition ships do cabin share for same sex solo's. If they cant match you to a same sex cabin mate - you get the cabin to yourself without the solo supplement.

They also have great last minute deals for solos. I just this month scored a 30 day trip for next month for a cabin to myself with no supplement!! Saved me about $30k.

yeay :p:D

I don't share with a person I know.....so to share a cabin with a

stranger?:confused::eek:.....no thanks. Too many negative variables.....what

if they snore, what if they are clingy, what if they are less than

honest, what if, what if, what if??

I have lived on my own for almost my entire life.....I don't even share

a clicker here at home......so sharing a cabin? With someone I have

never met? Not going to happen.

I don't share with a person I know.....so to share a cabin with a

stranger?:confused::eek:.....no thanks. Too many negative variables.....what

if they snore, what if they are clingy, what if they are less than

honest, what if, what if, what if??

I have lived on my own for almost my entire life.....I don't even share

a clicker here at home......so sharing a cabin? With someone I have

never met? Not going to happen.

Don't share a clicker?!? You sound like me! :D

I'm a very long term solo liver and traveller - but when it comes to saving $30 to $40k I am prepared to share with a stranger.

My rule is - they are only your cabin mate. On the ship dont eat with them, dont tour with them, dont hang out with them. That half hour while getting ready for bed is enough time for a chat about how their day went.

I see others on polar voyages who bond instantly with their stranger cabin mates and end up glued at the hip with each other. By end of the first week they are well and truly over each other.

But for other types of trips where the financial side of it is not as life changing - I pay the supplement and have the room to myself.

I'm a very long term solo liver and traveller - but when it comes to saving $30 to $40k I am prepared to share with a stranger.

My rule is - they are only your cabin mate. On the ship dont eat with them, dont tour with them, dont hang out with them. That half hour while getting ready for bed is enough time for a chat about how their day went.

I see others on polar voyages who bond instantly with their stranger cabin mates and end up glued at the hip with each other. By end of the first week they are well and truly over each other.

But for other types of trips where the financial side of it is not as life changing - I pay the supplement and have the room to myself.

H:)i...not sure I understand the first paragraph:eek:.....to save 40 grand?

If I took a cruise that cost me that much? Let's just say that is

impossible for me:eek:.....$40,000? For a cruise?....maybe the luxury

lines are that much but the mass market lines?......I am going on

a cruise to Alaska in May, solo...it is running about me about 2800.00.

Is the currency you mentioned in US Dollars?

Edited by Lois R

H:)i...not sure I understand the first paragraph:eek:.....to save 40 grand?

If I took a cruise that cost me that much? Let's just say that is

impossible for me:eek:.....$40,000? For a cruise?....maybe the luxury

lines are that much but the mass market lines?......I am going on

a cruise to Alaska in May, solo...it is running about me about 2800.00.

Is the currency you mentioned in US Dollars?

Antarctica cruises on very small expedition ships and icebreakers (less than 110 passengers) are my thing.

A berth in a cabin can cost between $20k and $40k (in either US or AUS $) - so a solo supplement can be 75% to 100% more. So my current trip I have managed to score a cabin all to myself without the solo supplement - which has saved me a fortune and given me the luxury of the cabin all to myself for 30 days - bliss !.

The Alaskan trips I am looking at - are again on small expedition ships for around 60 passengers - and they are around $16-25k (AUS & US $) so again while I would prefer to have a cabin to myself - its far more practical to put my hand up to share.

Antarctica cruises on very small expedition ships and icebreakers (less than 110 passengers) are my thing.

A berth in a cabin can cost between $20k and $40k (in either US or AUS $) - so a solo supplement can be 75% to 100% more. So my current trip I have managed to score a cabin all to myself without the solo supplement - which has saved me a fortune and given me the luxury of the cabin all to myself for 30 days - bliss !.

The Alaskan trips I am looking at - are again on small expedition ships for around 60 passengers - and they are around $16-25k (AUS & US $) so again while I would prefer to have a cabin to myself - its far more practical to put my hand up to share.

Thank you for the explanation. Those prices are nowhere near anything

I can afford, with or without a cabinmate. I do work fulltime but

20 grand for a cruise? Those prices are just not in my budget and not anything

I look for when researching my trips.

Sounds like we are in different financial brackets but like I said, thank

you for explaning things.

Edited by Lois R

Thank you for the explanation. Those prices are nowhere near anything

I can afford, with or without a cabinmate. I do work fulltime but

20 grand for a cruise? Those prices are just not in my budget and not anything

I look for when researching my trips.

Sounds like we are in different financial brackets but like I said, thank

you for explaning things.

I am just a mid level public servant - very far removed from any kind of wealth. I just choose to spend my money on dream travels rather than all the things my friends spend their money on like cars, clothes, alcohol etc.

I am just a mid level public servant - very far removed from any kind of wealth. I just choose to spend my money on dream travels rather than all the things my friends spend their money on like cars, clothes, alcohol etc.

Hi again:) I love to travel as well......cruising is my favorite form of

vacation:D.......I am lucky I am to do it....all I meant was your type

of cruise and mine are very different.....and that is what makes the

world go round;)

Agree perfectly. Lois has her view.I have mine. Lois does 7N Caribbeans.Affordable as solos. I prefer longer more exotics. Booked a 71N Oceania with an online cruisemate. Unaffordable without her. I no longer keep a car. Decided to use car money on vacations.Its worked well. Only time I had poor cabin mate experience was with my best friend. She just was not a traveler.She was more interested in Maitre D.Had 3 assigned roomies, all interesting.

Agree perfectly. Lois has her view.I have mine. Lois does 7N Caribbeans.Affordable as solos. I prefer longer more exotics. Booked a 71N Oceania with an online cruisemate. Unaffordable without her. I no longer keep a car. Decided to use car money on vacations.Its worked well. Only time I had poor cabin mate experience was with my best friend. She just was not a traveler.She was more interested in Maitre D.Had 3 assigned roomies, all interesting.

Hi, you sort of cut me into 1 pattern......I do more than just 7 night Caribbean Cruises.

I have sailed to Alaska, Bermuda, Europe, and the Pacific Coast....I have also sailed on 8, 10 and 11 night cruises.

As for a car? I work and need a car:eek:

Maybe one day I can just cruise around the world....but I have to work and that is the way life is right now and

will be for quite a few more years. If I hit the lottery? Well, then I am outa here.......otherwise....work will be

in my future for a long time.

71 nights? So you will cruising for almost 3 months.......hope you both get along well.

Edited by Lois R

• 3 weeks later...

When I was in my 20’s, I went to a travel agent and got a Carnival brochure, and I remember seeing the part about the single share program. I thought about doing it, but for whatever reason I ended up not- either I didn’t have the money or I was nervous about traveling alone, maybe a mix of both. I regret that I didn’t do it! I'm sure I would have had a blast. This was back in the mid 90’s (about 1996 or so), so probably in the last days of Carnival’s single share program (or whatever they called it).