We did it!!! Went without all inclusive........shock horror!

malnik

Just got back from a rather odd mediterranea experience, I have reviewed ir, so wont dwell on it.

But as we are not big drinkers, we decided to go for a soft drinks package and water package. My wifes idea, I was sceptical. But our cruise had a port each day, we were off and about so we wouldn't be ordering drinks except in the evening.

Cost of the all inclusive for 4 of us would have been 574 euro.

The 40 soft drinks, including non alcoholic cocktails was 110 euro for us. The water 35 euros for 15 large bottles.

I was worried about missing out on wine with dinner. But I went with it, we dont drink beer at all.

On the first night at dinner we received a special for wine!!! And every other night after. It was a bottle at half price, so anything from 12 euro. I purchased a bottle of wine every other night, drank half, the balance was on our table next night. So wine cost about 50 euro, and nice wine it was too.

We had plenty of water, if we needed more, we topped up bottles from the fountains (which was not cold), and had ice delivered to the room from room service.

We did have a couple of extra cocktails for me and my wife.If we wanted hot drinks, we got it from the machines, it was only after 9pm that those machines went off. So I had a cocktail instead....terrible option but I survived!

Our bill was far less. We drank when we wanted to, no one went thirsty. Children started to enjoy cold water!

So, 574 Euro for all inclusive. 248 Euro for drinks.

However, at the beginning you do wonder.....perhaps for the first day we were saying to the children to share a can, (remember we got cans and bottles, not glasses as all inc.), but then we decided to just go for it. If they wanted an Ice Tea or Coke, we ordered it. The saving grace was the time off the ship. No sea days to eat up our drinks value.

Would I do it again, probably....but not guaranteed, depends on the cruise.

Yes the review is done, it must be pending.

We always enjoy the travel and Im sure you will too. Costa is "organised chaos"!!! If you can smile at the things that happen you will be fine, just go with an open mind......its a holiday!!!

We did Favolosa in November last year, as all Costa ships, we have found them spotless. And way over the top.......

We were on the Mediterranea last September and went without the AI package for the first time as well!

As you say, so many shore days and getting up early

The hot water machines were the most annoying as they were off right after breakfast and only came on at 4, really annoying. We bought coffees instead.

There were no special offers on wine but I just had a glass of house white or a prosecco.

We paid far less than the package price but definitely "went without". I could not have done this on a Transatlantic.

We are on Favalosa to Fjords in August and are thinking of doing the same again.

Caryl