Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Read Luxury Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you!

Old December 31st, 2013, 09:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

NewLondon/AWED - Greetings, Shipmates! Nice to see some good representation by the "Sea Services" on this board (Sorry, Wes!). Now we just need to hear from some Merchant Marines!

Bill - If you were stationed on a CVS (which one?), I think you were a couple of years ahead of me. I did several TAD assignements onboard SSN683 in the late '80's and two full years (68-70) onboard CLG5 with C7FLT staff. Spent 25 years in uniform with the NavSecGru and then an additional 18 years as a civilian with ONI. Many trips to the New London/Groton area over the years to support the SSN's (ComSubGru2) and to King's Bay, GA and Silverdale, WA to support the "Boomers" (SSBN's). Also worked with ASW guys flying out of NAS Jax, Bermuda (nice!), Brunswick, and Keflavik, etc. So, I worked "both sides of the problem".

AWED - Many good memories working with "Coasties" on counter-drug ops in Key West, Governor's Island, and Alameda. Even designed/built a communications facility for the CG in West Virginia (who knew?)! It was always a pleasure working with the "Coasties" - all 10 of them! I even got to ride on a couple of their "yachts" - Oops, I mean "Cutters"!

"Fair winds", Gentlemen.

Old December 31st, 2013, 01:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wow pingpong, You have a much more impressive career than I. I was on CVS9 USS ESSEX the first of the fast carriers in 1943. Unfortunately, even though she still did 33kts+ in 1964, her day was over. We played cat and mouse games with the Russians, both sub-sea, and surface with their fishing fleet in the NA.
Our major claim to fame, not our fault and fortunately not tragic was a collision with the submerged SSN Nautilus. If you're interested e-mail me sometime at bsloan.1at comcast.net.
The address is obviously needing a @ symbol but I left that out so I won't be trolled.
Bill

Old December 31st, 2013, 01:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up pingpong1

Some Command Master Chiefs have been known to allow a squid temorary command of the wheel of one of THEIR yachts...I am certain that in order to get their 3rd rocker they have to pass a grouchy & nasty exam.....Happy New Year and times a waisting.

Old December 31st, 2013, 02:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default newlondon....

1943 ???.....You are ancient. Was the Essex the first our carriers designed and built as a carrier rather than converted from a cruiser hull?...I remember the incident with the Nautilus.....You have had a cold Winter up there in NH....We are having a rather mild winter here in the San Juans....See you aboard, Rob from #826.

Old December 31st, 2013, 02:09 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Back on topic...After several 7 day cruises, we tried 12 days, with few sea days -- and hated it! I was ready to come home after 10 days. But, maybe it had something to do with the ship; it was the old Costa Allegra, a converted container ship (now burned and scrapped).

So, what did I do? Allegra was a small ship, and I liked the size, so I went searching and found Oceania! That same year, our first cruise was 26 days from Miami to Manaus, Brazil and back to Miami -- and we loved it! That led to more cruises with O, and a couple with Regent. Like jhp, we now find that shorter cruises are not worth the effort, unless they're a special occasion, like Oceania's 7 day 10th Anniversary cruise in Alaska last year. The longest we've been aboard so far was 34 days on Marina when she was first launched, from Barcelona to San Francisco.

We just completed 24 days on a different cruise line, which included a 12 day transAtlantic with only one stop in the Azores -- 5 sea days then 6 more after the port.

Luggage is not a problem -- we find folks don't remember what you wore previously, and laundry refreshes everything. If the climate is moderate, we can manage for a month with two carry-ons. If the weather varies greatly, we share an additional mid-size suitcase which allows boots, jackets and such. Regent's "formal" nights are optional; you will not feel uncomfortable in the normal Elegant Casual dress.

We'll be gone from 5/15 to 6/21 next year (today is the the last day I can write that ) on a combination RV trip, Atlantic crossing from NY to London and a river cruise from Amsterdam to Basel. We expect to do it with carry-ons.

One cruise we won't be able to manage with such minimal luggage is our upcoming "180 Days Around the World" on Oceania Insignia in January, 2015. See what can happen if you begin to love longer cruises?

Old December 31st, 2013, 02:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Happy New Year to you as well. Sorry to disillusion you, but I was an OOD and actually the Boat Division officer, Weaps. I had a second class bosun's mate who saved my patootie but couldn't keep it under control when he went ashore. A great guy but dysfunctional. He would have been at least a CPO if alcohol didn't get him every time.
On a carrier the lead uco was usually at least 1st class and more often CPO. Imagine some one as good as this guy never making it past 2nd class. My good luck!

Old December 31st, 2013, 05:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Well, we went from a 7 day Baltic cruise on Regent to a 60 day cruise on Regent (4 segments of the WC). We loved being on the ship for 60 days! So many nice sea days intermixed with ports. Now, we have trouble finding cruises that aren't very port intensive. I doubt we would do a 7-10 day cruise again. It's just not worth all the work that goes into it plus with the shorter cruises, our body just starts to adjust to the time changes and then it's time to go home.

Karen

Old January 1st, 2014, 12:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Sorry Don to go off topic. I will say sometimes it is fun as opposed to the vitriol that gets spread when defensive individuals-certainly not you-want to be totally drilled down.
At the risk of offending you, and I consider you a voice of reason on this board as I do Keith1010, I am going to continue to respond to AWED and pingpong.
Guys, I was on the Essex '64-'67. Essex was built in '43 and was the first of its class. She was well decorated in WW2 and Korea as well. Because there was no glamor name involved, despite the fact the first Essex was in the War of 1812, and it continues until today, it's not a name many Americans relate to. Still a name to be proud of
PS If you ever watch " the Bridges of Toko Ri a wonderful movie the carrier is the Essex. Ted Williams also flew off CV9
Best to all for the New Year

Old January 1st, 2014, 01:00 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by txladycruiser View Post
Well, we went from a 7 day Baltic cruise on Regent to a 60 day cruise on Regent (4 segments of the WC). We loved being on the ship for 60 days! So many nice sea days intermixed with ports. Now, we have trouble finding cruises that aren't very port intensive. I doubt we would do a 7-10 day cruise again. It's just not worth all the work that goes into it plus with the shorter cruises, our body just starts to adjust to the time changes and then it's time to go home.
Well Karen says it all, for us. Or at least almost. After the first week of all the fine, rich food, I feeling like one of those special geese being force-fed. I know I don't have to eat, and in fact we did skip meals or just have a salad, but still, all the fine dining starts feeling quite unappealing to me after a while.
Radisson Diamond June, 2004
Regent Voyager, June '06, Dec. '07, Dec. '09, Dec. 2010

Old January 1st, 2014, 01:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wendy, Sorry to hear your dissatisfaction, although I understand as DW had the same issue. Her solution was to order the simple always available dishes or to go to the Veggy menu. Never heard any complaints after that strategy.
Happy New Year; hope you enjoy even more

Old January 4th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Wendy, my solution is an almost daily ration of a hot dog from Waves, and pasta a few nights per week . That's still within the bounds of Oceania foodie-ness, 'cause their hot dogs and pasta are great! Although, I'd still like Waves open at least one night a week with babyback ribs...

Old January 4th, 2014, 01:47 PM
5,000+ Club

My solution to the food issue is to eat berries and smoked salmon for breakfast, salad for lunch most days, and avoid all the extra eating times if possible. I love that the portion sizes on regent are reasonable for the most part.

Old January 4th, 2014, 03:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

When we were on the 60 day cruise, I mostly ate from the Canyon Ranch selection at night. We had room service for breakfast every morning - usually just fruit and then had lunch, of course. I really liked the Canyon Ranch selection for dinner. And I did eat desserts quite frequently. We did do a lot of walking and I used the gym also. I gained 3 lbs over the 60 days and my husband lost 10 lbs. We did not starve!!!

Karen

Old January 4th, 2014, 04:22 PM
10,000+ Club

It's easy to say you're going to be good, it's another thing to actually be good! As for me, I love the burgers at Waves. Not exactly diet food, of course. I guess I just don't have any willpower--it's very hard for me to walk by the dessert section without looking at those lovely little parfaits full of creme caramel or other such goodies!
Radisson Diamond June, 2004
Regent Voyager, June '06, Dec. '07, Dec. '09, Dec. 2010

Old January 4th, 2014, 05:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondorner View Post
Wendy, my solution is an almost daily ration of a hot dog from Waves, and pasta a few nights per week . That's still within the bounds of Oceania foodie-ness, 'cause their hot dogs and pasta are great! Although, I'd still like Waves open at least one night a week with babyback ribs...
....+1 for sure and plenty of sauce for the ribs...Beans & Slaw?

Old January 4th, 2014, 06:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cool

I have same breakfast at sea as I have at home: Bran cereal, light yogurt, berries, nuts, seeds etc. I confess, at sea I also have ONE Regent chocolate croissant - no one is perfect.

Lunch is BIG salad and grilled veggies and a tiny sweet and fruit

At dinner I usually eat vegetarian except at Prime7 and Signatures I fall off the veggie train.

I limit bread and potato VERY severely - NO butter ever!

(My eating habits are fairly new. Longest cruise we've been on was 35 days - loved it but was glad to get home. I was anxious to get the mail and drive again.)

Last edited by TedC; January 4th, 2014 at 07:04 PM.