Returning to Celebrity - Lots of Questions

Amolin

After an absence of about 8 years (most of which have been spent cruising on HAL) we are returning to Celebrity on a Summit cruise. We have been sailing in a suite on HAL and have chosen a Sky Suite on the Summit. Here are some of the questions I have so far:

1. How does the select dining work? We usually choose fixed on HAL because their anytime dining usually involves standing on line waiting for a table. (We like to eat between 7 - 8 at a table for 2) If I have to stand in line I would rather have fixed. I know you can make reservations - can this be done ahead of time and for any time? Is it a problem to get what you want? If you don't make a reservation will there be a line at this time?

2. If you are in a suite can you dine at blu? TA said yes based on availability but he didn't seem too sure? How does this work?

3. What are the differences in things the concierge and the butler do? Is there a special lounge for suite passengers?

4. The port is San Juan. Upon return will it be any problem to make a 12:00 flight?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give. Will add more questions as I think if them.

1. How does the select dining work? We usually choose fixed on HAL because their anytime dining usually involves standing on line waiting for a table. (We like to eat between 7 - 8 at a table for 2) If I have to stand in line I would rather have fixed. I know you can make reservations - can this be done ahead of time and for any time? Is it a problem to get what you want? If you don't make a reservation will there be a line at this time?

Once on board ask your Butler to arrange the time for you if you want a specific time. This is one of the best features of tour butler. Generally no wait, maybe 10 minutes of you arrive at peak times.

2. If you are in a suite can you dine at blu? TA said yes based on availability but he didn't seem too sure? How does this work?

It's "on a space available basis" yet it's very rare suites can't get in. You may want to avoid the rush times. Again, talk to the butler who will work with Maitr'd

3. What are the differences in things the concierge and the butler do? Is there a special lounge for suite passengers?

Michaels Club lounge is for full suites, not SkySuites (Junior suites as other lines would call them), so no special lounge for Sky Suites. I see butler and concierge pretty much the same, the butler is just around and accessible and you don't have to go find the concierge. So I generally just stick with my butler who may then relay tasks to the concierge as appropriate.

4. The port is San Juan. Upon return will it be any problem to make a 12:00 flight?

I made a 10:30 flight, but security did scare me a bit with the lines, but they moved pretty well. I ended up with about an hours in the airport all said and done. all depends on how lucky you feel and if no road bumps pop up along the way. I am TSA precheck and a frequent flyer with my airline, so also had shorter lines.

Welcome back to Celebrity!

1. Our group typically does select dining...the early seating makes for a bit of a rush getting back from the beach or excursion and being ready in time...and late is, well, too late! With select, you can book your reservation ahead of time. We have just shown up once or twice and only had a few minute wait time for a table. Or if you prefer, you can go to the Oceanview Café anytime.

2. I dream of being in a suite someday...sorry, can't answer the blu question!

3. Concierge is a "class" not a person...additional amenities on Concierge, but no one to unpack and re-pack at the end like a butler does, make dining reservations, etc.

4. I always call Celebrity to ask for their recommendation about what the earliest flight time should be.

Enjoy!

Last few cruises we have changed to select dining, because it is more sure of getting a table for 2. In some ways I prefer fixed dining because I love having the same waiter every night- but there is no guarantee of a table for 2-- had a problem with that a few times. With select-- just make your reservation online way ahead of time- no reason to wait till you're on board. You can always change the time during the cruise if you want.

Edited by travlDR

Welcome back to Celebrity!

1. Our group typically does select dining...the early seating makes for a bit of a rush getting back from the beach or excursion and being ready in time...and late is, well, too late! With select, you can book your reservation ahead of time. We have just shown up once or twice and only had a few minute wait time for a table. Or if you prefer, you can go to the Oceanview Café anytime.

2. I dream of being in a suite someday...sorry, can't answer the blu question!

3. Concierge is a "class" not a person...additional amenities on Concierge, but no one to unpack and re-pack at the end like a butler does, make dining reservations, etc.

4. I always call Celebrity to ask for their recommendation about what the earliest flight time should be.

Enjoy!

Regarding #3: There is a person assigned on board as a Concierge. They usually can help with shore side arrangements, some on board reservations, information about port arrangements, car services, etc. They are available for all classes of cabins, not just Concierge class.

For most people used to a hotel Concierge vs a Concierge class of cabin, this can be confusing.

If your cruise is after April 1st 2015 (we are told) there will be a dedicated dining room for suite cruisers. While we don't know the details yet, it may be easier to be seated when you want and, of course, there is always your butler ready to handle those specific times as well as specialty dining reservations.:)

Cheers!

Thanks for the "concierge" clarification... I was concierge on Equinox last year and will be again in a few months. Wasn't aware that there was someone with that title.

There's no dedicated concierge per se who works only for suites, at least not one like you find on HAL, where there's a concierge lounge with that person manning the desk to help with all things. There is a person who they call a concierge in the Guest Services area who might help with SOME issues, but we've found over the years that Celebrity's concierge isn't a lot of help. And, Concierge Class on Celebrity really is a misnomer as there is not dedicated concierge for that class. I don't know why Celebrity chose to name those cabins that, but it really has nothing to do with a totally dedicated "concierge" who works only for that class of cabin.

Edited by cruisead

Last few cruises we have changed to select dining, because it is more sure of getting a table for 2. In some ways I prefer fixed dining because I love having the same waiter every night- but there is no guarantee of a table for 2-- had a problem with that a few times.

We left the Century last month after spending thirty-five nights onboard. We had select dining, and despite arriving for dinner at varying times we always had the same waiter and assistant waiter. We were pleased with a specific waiter and his assistant who served us the the first night, so just asked to be seated in in his section every night. Thus we had the flexibility of dining at a time convenient for our schedule but also having a great waiter and his equally great assistant who knew our preferences.

After an absence of about 8 years (most of which have been spent cruising on HAL) we are returning to Celebrity on a Summit cruise. We have been sailing in a suite on HAL and have chosen a Sky Suite on the Summit. Here are some of the questions I have so far:

Thanks in advance for any info you can give. Will add more questions as I think if them.

Amolin - a question for you. We will be sailing on our first HAL cruise- the Eurodam- next March. Have taken the my time dining. We too prefer to dine around 7-730 and a table for two. I've been told that once on board we can pre-book our dinner times up to three days in advance and should not have a problem, nor should we need to wait in line. Is this not totally correct? Thank you!

There's no dedicated concierge per se who works only for suites, at least not one like you find on HAL, where there's a concierge lounge with that person manning the desk to help with all things. There is a person who they call a concierge in the Guest Services area who might help with SOME issues, but we've found over the years that Celebrity's concierge isn't a lot of help. And, Concierge Class on Celebrity really is a misnomer as there is not dedicated concierge for that class. I don't know why Celebrity chose to name those cabins that, but it really has nothing to do with a totally dedicated "concierge" who works only for that class of cabin.

The following is an extract from a FAQ flyer produced by Celebrity about post April 2015 Suite Class (I have attached the full flyer)

Which stateroom categories have access to Michael’s Club? Michael’s Club will be available to guests staying in Celebrity, Signature, Royal, Penthouse and Reflection suites. Zenith members of our Captains Club loyalty program will also have access.

Amenities: This private relaxation area features a wide-screen TV; reading areas stocked with magazines, newspapers and books. Premium continental breakfast, light lunch and self-service snacks will be available throughout the day. Pre-dinner drinks will be provided complimentary between 5:30 pm and 8:00pm daily.

Concierge services: Michael’s Club Concierge will provide a personalized guest service experience. Services include specialty dining reservations, booking shore excursions, handling inquiries about car rentals or restaurants in ports of call. Concierge Desk hours will vary by itinerary.

A number of recent reports from CC members suggest that the Michael's Club Concierge is already in operation and provide good standards of service.

5-19-14 14037410_CEL_Suites_FAQs.pdf

Thanks to all for the information - it has been very helpful. I will post more questions as they arise.

To bandp407 - on HAL you cannot make reservations between 6:15 - 7:30 or 8

Those times you must just line up to be seated. I also believe the reservations have to be made once you are on the ship - cannot be done ahead of time, but I could be wrong on this. You will love the Eurodam - it is our favorite ship.

Thanks to all for the information - it has been very helpful. I will post more questions as they arise.

To bandp407 - on HAL you cannot make reservations between 6:15 - 7:30 or 8

Those times you must just line up to be seated. I also believe the reservations have to be made once you are on the ship - cannot be done ahead of time, but I could be wrong on this. You will love the Eurodam - it is our favorite ship.

Amolin - appears most of your questions answered. I could not help with Celebrity Select as we have always sailed Aqua on our 3 and soon to be 4th Celebrity sailings. Hope you are able to experience Blu and will enjoy it as much as we do. Sometimes a short wait if you prefer a specific area. As someone mentioned once the Suite guests have their own restaurant, Blu should not be as busy.

Thank you for the info on the my time dining. We may re think and switch to the 8pm sitting!! I did place a call to special services and they said they are not aware of any "blocked" times & that we could reserve once on board.

Enjoy the Summit & your return to Celebrity!! We are looking forward to our upcoming Silhouette sailing & first HAL experience end of March!!

Celebrity ships had the position of the concierge (the person) long before they introduced concierge class cabins.

Although we do not often need the services of the ship's concierge, I was very surprised by the statement of the previous poster who did not find the concierge to be helpful because our experience has been the exact opposite.

On the occasions when we have needed the concierge, we found him/her to be extremely helpful and conscientious every time.

Now there is also the new special concierge for Michael's Club whose functions are different from those of the regular concierge, and neither of them has any connection to concierge class cabins.

It is no wonder that people are confused with the 3 different uses of the term "concierge" on Celebrity ships.

It is kind of the way that the aqua spa cafe has nothing to do with aqua class cabins.

Edited by fleckle