For those of you who " roll " clothes to pack

newcruisers2

I am going to try the rolling method of packing for this trip. Can someone tell me which clothes you roll?

For T-shirts, do you lay flat and roll? Or fold somehow and roll? Roll all (on top of each other together) as one? Or separate?

:o Hope these questions don't sound dumb...but I am wanting to get the most in my 25" bag for 17 days!:)

Thanks for any answers and tips on the best packing methods.

I am going to try the rolling method of packing for this trip. Can someone tell me which clothes you roll?

For T-shirts, do you lay flat and roll? Or fold somehow and roll? Roll all (on top of each other together) as one? Or separate?

:o Hope these questions don't sound dumb...but I am wanting to get the most in my 25" bag for 17 days!:)

I always roll our clothes for the suitcase. You really can fit

more in there and we have found that things don't get as

wrinkled when they are rolled. I usually roll each

individual piece. With T-shirts, I fold in half once, fold in

the sleeves, then roll the rest of the way.

If I have a top and shorts that are a set, I usually roll them

up together in one roll so it's an easy find in the suitcase (same with my tankini). After the clothes are in, I usually tuck in socks and under

garments into the sides and any open areas. We also bring

Downy's wrinkle releaser with us. You just spray it onto the

wrinkled clothing, shake the clothes out, wait a few minutes,

and you're good to go!

I LOVE my wrinkle releaser!!! They have travel sizes too! :D

We also bring a trash bag and extra ziploc bags with us.

You never know if you're going to need those. I usually put

wet swimsuits in them for the trip home.

Don't worry, your questions don't sound dumb at all! :)

Have fun on your trip!!

Here's a link to Martha Stewart's website with packing tips. This example shows a combination of rolling & layering.

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/photogallery/packing-tips#slide_1

I normally do the layering type of packing (lay the largest item in first with edges hanging out, then work my way up to the smallest, then place small pieces in the middle and fold all in towards the middle). I used to roll but found it didn't make a lot of difference for me - but then maybe I didn't roll tight enough.

Good luck!

Personally, I only fold the items that will not show the "crease". If I am rolling a t-shirt, for example, I do not fold it in half lengthwise because that crease remains right down the middle. Yes, I know it is a "long" roll, but I don't want a crease, hence the rolling to begin with.

Personally, I only fold the items that will not show the "crease". If I am rolling a t-shirt, for example, I do not fold it in half lengthwise because that crease remains right down the middle. Yes, I know it is a "long" roll, but I don't want a crease, hence the rolling to begin with.

That's a good point. However, that's why I take Downy's wrinkle releaser

with me. It takes any wrinkles and creases out in a snap. :)

I go by how bulky they are either way. Some things (light pajamas, lightweight skirts, cotton, t-shirts, etc) take up less room rolled than folded. Other things like formal dresses, jeans, heavy fabrics, etc... take up less room folded than rolled. You'll know when you're doing it if something is going to work better rolled or not. Just smooth each individual piece as you go, roll as tightly you can and pack things close together so they can't unroll. I find that more wrinkles happen when clothes have room to move around. You don't want your suitcase stuffed to the gills but you don't want it half full either. I swear by rolling my clothes to maximize suitcase space.

Rolling doesn't necessarily always reduce wrinkles, but if something has wrinkles, I've got travel downy wrinkle release or I'll hang it in the bathroom while I shower to steam them out.

I usually put my rolled items, shoes, and other items in the first layer and then lay the folded items on top.

I roll everything that can be rolled. I use the method I read about in a NY Times article. I figured if it works for a flight attendant it will work for me. As soon as I get to my room I hang all tops, dresses, linen pants, and scarves. When I shower in the morning I hang my outfits for that day in the bathroom so they get a little steam and then use wrinkle releaser for any other wrinkles.

I roll and fold my travel clothing in combination with the use of packing folders and cubes. I roll all t-shirts, shorts, underwear, and polo type shirts. Dress pants and dress shirts are folded and placed in packing folders.

I choose my clothing very carefully for a trip. Over time I have replaced my heavy high maintenance clothing with those that are light, wrinkle resistant, and dry quickly. I wash all my active wear in the sink and they are dry by morning. Many hiking, golf, and fitness clothing are made of these materials and for the most part fine for cruising. I also don't hang up most clothing, they stay in the folders or cubes and I place them in the closet and drawers making packing and unpacking a breeze. I don't take any wrinkle release stuff but I have from time to time placed a dress shirt in the bathroom while I showered.

Shak

I roll and fold my travel clothing in combination with the use of packing folders and cubes. I roll all t-shirts, shorts, underwear, and polo type shirts. Dress pants and dress shirts are folded and placed in packing folders.

I am a huge fan of folders and cubes. I roll things for the cubes. Honestly, I don't know how I managed to travel before I got my folders and cubes.:)

I pack with a combination of many methods. I haven't perfected the art of rolling clothes, things do tend to get creased for me, same with folding.

So I roll things I don't care if they get creased, like pj's, bathing suits, socks, underwear, then I place them into a compression bag. I fold things that don't crease easily and put them into packing folders (I bundle pack in the folders, which is packing all the things as one instead of folded individually). Sometimes I layer plastic dry cleaner bags with the folded stuff.

All our dress clothing for evening and formal nights go into our rolling garment bag. The garment bag works very well for us, everything is in its own dry cleaner plastic bag. When we get to the ship, it is unpacked in mere minutes and already on hangers. As we wear the clothing, it goes back on the hanger (or is sent out for cleaning to be worn again) and is re-packed the exact same way to go home.

I'm not a big fan of Downey Wrinkle Release as I don't care for the fragrance of it. I can still smell it after it dries, others state they cannot. I'm hyper sensitive to fragrance of almost any kind, though, and find it irritates my throat and sinuses. My husband hasn't been able to wear cologne for years now and if I wear any at all, I put it on the back of my arms, where it won't waft into my face. Mens colognes are the worst for me.

All of my friends can never believe how many clothes I am able to pack in such small suitcases. I go by the less folds the fewer wrinkles

I lay all my shirts flat on top of each other and simply fold the entire stack in half. Slacks are only folded in half and alternated to reduce bulk.

It also helps preventing wrinkles and so easy to unpack in stacks. Utilize all the areas like stuffing socks, belts, ties inside your shoes.

I roll everything that can be rolled. I use the method I read about in a NY Times article. I figured if it works for a flight attendant it will work for me. As soon as I get to my room I hang all tops, dresses, linen pants, and scarves. When I shower in the morning I hang my outfits for that day in the bathroom so they get a little steam and then use wrinkle releaser for any other wrinkles.

Excellent NY Times article! thanks for sharing.

and was AMAZED...I got 5 days of daytime & evening wear plus 5 pairs of shoes & toiletries in a carry on!!! (I do wear pants/shorts a couple of times).

I roll things in layers--they wrinkle less. Works remarkably well w/ twill shorts/pants.

Always wear your bulkiest things to fly.

Choose clothing made in rayon/polyester/cotton knit & wrinkling is barely an issue (steam or Downy wrinkle release...). But if you layer 3 pair of cotton twill slacks, NO WRINKLES--AMAZING!

7 day cruise for 5...I will DEFINITELY be rolling this time!

Archived