How far can you go on your own in port?

JuniorCruisers

Hi all,

My fiance and I will be travelling on the QM2 in August/September for our honeymoon, and I'd like to know if there is a "limit" on distance you can travel away from the ship on your own while in port? I am planning on taking her to see some friends while docked in Southampton and Hamburg and they live several hours away - all perfectly manageable between the scheduled port times should the ship meet these, etc. etc. etc. This is not a "what if this happens, that happens" to cause us being late back and so on, merely a what is permissible with Cunard? As long as we are back with plenty of time to embark before sail-away can we theoretically go wherever we want?

Of course we will be mindful of times, circumstances, factors, etc. If there is any cause for concern later we will not go. But the opportunity would be very welcomed. Many thanks for your help as always.

jimmybean has it right; what you do is up to you.

I've a "golden rule" about travelling on "port days"; The time taken travelling (both ways) must never exceed the time spent at the destination.

Maybe the friends you'd like to see can come to Southampton or Hamburg for the day and meet you both for a celebratory lunch (and maybe see you both and QM2 sailaway later, waving from the quayside)? Or at a convenient city/town halfway?

Whatever you do, Congratulations and have a wonderful time onboard QM2, Bon Voyage!

As suggested it would be much safer for friends to visit you, if that's possible. If something really bad happened on the roads, particularly motorway you can be stuck for hours at times.

That's why we always travel to a cruise the day before sailing.

David.

Many thanks for the replies, all. If everything runs on schedule on the days then we'll be off on some nice adventures!

I notice nobody has asked the obvious question, so just for the record, where is it you intend to go to from Southampton?

J

When I've been ashore in Southampton and left the city to explore I made sure to be back a minimum of 1 hour prior to departure. Last November the weather was awful (heavy rain) and we ended our visit sitting in the terminal so I didn't worry about time because the staff would have reminded me.

I notice nobody has asked the obvious question, so just for the record, where is it you intend to go to from Southampton?

Somerset. We'll leave with plenty of time to get back. If the ship is able to stick to the current port schedule in August T/A weather there'll be loads of time to play with.

Somerset. We'll leave with plenty of time to get back. If the ship is able to stick to the current port schedule in August T/A weather there'll be loads of time to play with.

Please do bear in mind that Southampton is a major embarkation / disembarkation point so the traffic around the city and outskirts will be very busy particularly between around 9am to 2pm. Make sure you take account of any possible traffic jams when working out your timings. Have a great time in Somerset, and don't get drunk on the scrumpy!! :D

You don't say whereabouts in Somerset, but it takes us just under 2 hours to drive from Southampton, very near to the docks, to Bath in Somerset. The roads are not the fastest. You would probably have to be back on board by 3.45- 4pm at the latest as they close boarding then as QM2 is usually scheduled to sail around 4.30-5pm. Personally I wouldn't want to go all that way with the risk of getting held up on the way back, it only takes one accident to cause hold ups for hours and the traffic in Southampton can be horrendous at any time of the day. Why not meet in Salisbury which is a good halfway meeting point.

Hi juniorcruisers, Sorry to add my twopenny worth, but you are really risking it, if you expect to be safely back onboard by the latest, 4pm !

Don't expect the roads to Somerset to be clear of traffic. The south of England doesn't have those clear, wide open roads that you may be use to in Australia.

You'll also need to build time in for collecting and returning your rental car ?

Good Luck, come back and let us know how you got on ;)

The only caveat would be if you wanted to go to another country and Cunard was holding your passport. Your question surprised me, I was thinking you would be asking if you can get off a gangway and walk the length of the ship. That varies by port.

Roy

Thanks for the advice but as I explained originally, if there appears to be any issues on the day we simply won't go. We will turn around and come back. We have recently returned from Somerset/Devon with driving in and out of London and Southampton and had absolutely no problems whatsoever with the roads or traffic, and made superb time everywhere we went. My only concern at this stage is being "permitted" to go by Cunard, and that has been kindly addressed in the replies so that's all folks. Please don't worry.