Stateroom Recommendations Please on QM2

RCCLCARIB

Recommendations for a veranda stateroom on the QM2 would be greatly appreciated.

I am not familiar with all the categories of veranda staterooms on the QM2 and was looking for a recommendation for a veranda stateroom that would not have any obstructions and would be suitable for 2 guest in the price range of about $1800 to $2100 pp for a 6 Night Transatlantic Cruise.

Thank you for your recommendations and responses.

Recommendations for a veranda stateroom on the QM2 would be greatly appreciated.

I am not familiar with all the categories of veranda staterooms on the QM2 and was looking for a recommendation for a veranda stateroom that would not have any obstructions and would be suitable for 2 guest in the price range of about $1800 to $2100 pp for a 6 Night Transatlantic Cruise.

Thank you for your recommendations and responses.

Deck 6 is convenient and unobstructed. And I think deck 5 is also conventient.

We just finished a crossing and had several friends down in the pub who had done the roundtrip med. cruise/crossing and had sheltered balconies. Said it was the way to go. You can sit out on your balcony and not get blown away - also, the view really doesn't change a lot on a crossing...so if you want a balcony you'll use on a crossing, consider a sheltered balcony.

For a crossing I prefer a sheltered balcony. I had one last year on deck 4 and booked another one for this year. True you have to stand to see the view but you are protected from the wind and sun and I sat on my balcony almost everyday.

Ok...so the higher up you are, like the the A1 and A2 Section, these balconies don't lend themselves to a quiet setting because of the wind...., while the B1-B4 are the cabins that are built into the hull.

Thanks so much!!!

Do you know when Summer of 2009 Itineraries will be out??

On our eastbound transatlantic in May, we really enjoyed the in-hull (sheltered) balcony. We were on deck 6, aft, starboard. On nice days we were able to sit out in the sun. :) A couple of nights, we even slept with the door open!

Mind that you get the sunny side of the ship -- starboard eastbound, port westbound. Starting from Southampton, that would be Port Out, Starboard Home. POSH!

If I were to choose again, I'd go lower, like deck 4, and forward, hoping to get a bit more wave sounds from the bow.

I did notice that not many people with regular balconies were using them.

The more I read this thread the happier I am - we are in a B2 on Deck 5 this time, for our TransAtlantics. We were on Deck 12 with the full balcony last time and although I loved being able to look out, even from inside the room, - we were not able to sit out there - too wet and too cold and windy.

The more I read this thread the happier I am - we are in a B2 on Deck 5 this time, for our TransAtlantics. We were on Deck 12 with the full balcony last time and although I loved being able to look out, even from inside the room, - we were not able to sit out there - too wet and too cold and windy.

Yes. But.

At the price range suggested, you're within a shout of Britannia Club. This offers so much more than Britannia, for very little extra. I'd strongly recommend it. In my mind it is the best value of the ship - and the staff there are (at least in the case of our waiters and sommelier) all ex Queens' Grill. The service is fantastic. Single seating dining is always so much nicer too.

I can't comment on a in-hull balcony, but would be very happy to return to AA grade - and this is the first non-Queens' Grill trip I have done.

Matthew

Commodore Club, QM2

At the brochure price, BClub is probably excellent value. But the price difference could be substantial at the sell-off rates that many people wait for.

Your comments about BClub are very interesting, and I will certainly look carefully at that class.

Yes. But.

At the price range suggested, you're within a shout of Britannia Club. This offers so much more than Britannia, for very little extra. I'd strongly recommend it. In my mind it is the best value of the ship - and the staff there are (at least in the case of our waiters and sommelier) all ex Queens' Grill. The service is fantastic. Single seating dining is always so much nicer too.

I can't comment on a in-hull balcony, but would be very happy to return to AA grade - and this is the first non-Queens' Grill trip I have done.

Matthew

Commodore Club, QM2

Have you sailed the QM2 in 'normal' Britannia before? While I can tell that you are feeling that you are getting value for your money I was just wondering how you are able to tell that the Britannia club is offering the greatest return out of all of the posible options. Are others unhappy with the service in the standard Britannia on this trip or is it the option to dine at will that provides much of the marginal value? I am thinking about taking the Aug 9th crossing but I might bail esp if the reports are that the standard service is poor. Cheers

Can someone elaborate on the Britannia Club???? Can I get a hull cabin and still be applicable for the Britannia Club dining??...

No, you get a Deck 12 cabin for Britannia Club. Of course, if Britannia Club becomes popular enough, you may get a Deck 11 cabin, a Deck 8 cabin, or a Deck "wait until we build another single seat dining room" cabin. Anyway, Matthew thinks Britannia Club is the way to go, and that is worth your attention.

Paul

I am happy that Matthew has found that the QM2 is not a horrible shoebox ship, and that the Britannia Club is wonderful.

But Just as he used to think he would never do the QM2, as long as the QE2 was still chugging; he should reserve judgment of the rest of Britannia until he has experienced it! Matthew, I have had marvelous experiences in Britannia. Goodness, On our January trip, I was one table away from Maria. And on our September trip, we told them to seat us together! In January, Marc and I had the honor of dining with the Commodore in front of that brilliant tapestry. And that table was next to a few of the finest couples who were onboard that ship, and whom we became friends with.

Still, I guess it's like baby steps. We have to take you one small step at a time to learn to love our other Queen!

I never used to understand the saying, "The King is Dead. Long live the King" That made no sense to me. But now I do understand. While QE2 is far from dead, it's okay to love her younger, (but alas, bigger,) sister, QM2. Why is it men always seem to want the slimmer sister. They always look down on the taller heftier, more robust sister, as somehow not being "dainty"enough! <LOL>

She has big shoulders, Mathew! She can carry you~! <BG>

Karie,

the younger heavier sister. But my older sister is a red-head ! Kinda like the Queens.

Like Karie, my Britannia experiences were excellent. Food and service exceeded expectations every night, I found the grandeur of the dining room to be breathtaking every time I entered it, and I too was fortunate to be invited to dine at the Captain's table under that tapestry and I have to tell you, that was an incredibly elegant location.

I don't find single seating a necessity, at least not one warranting an extra charge....we loved the late seating. It worked very well with all of our day's plans. Perhaps on a TA I'd do the early as there would be no ports to consume the day.

It sems the majority of people comment on how much more functional the balcony is in a hull cabin on a TA, and I"m inclined to think if I ever do one that's where I'll choose to travel too. I loved the glass balconies for a Caribbean, and will do it again this Nov but the remarks about the hull on a TA just make sense.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

Right.

Britannia Club.

The advantages are:

Single seat dining. This means you have the same table for breakfast, lunch and dinner. This means that you will get to know your companions better, and I have always been lucky with my tablemates.

Extra choice. In addition to what is, in essence, the Britannia menu, you have an a la carte menu as well.

Superb service. Everyone we had was ex-Queens' Grill. Everyone went the extra mile, and some extra miles as well. Our waiter was intent on getting the best out of the kitchen - and with a dedicated Maitre'D (technically head waiter) the support is there for the waiters to demand that the galley pull the stops out. We saw this on a number of occasions.

A lovely area. Whilst those in the centre of the Britannia main area have a spectacular setting, the majority of tables don't. Britannia Club has a cosy atmosphere that is akin to a Grill restaurant.

The cabin perks are useless. It's all about the dining room. I have been in close discussion with Peter all week, and it seems that we are getting a lot more than he has - even though he has been in the central area.

For the extra money, the rewards are enormous. I've thought about this on the trip a lot - and remember that this is the first trip that I have travelled below Queens' Grill. Service is akin to Queens' Grill, and this means that the very high quality of the Britannia is enhanced enormously.

I can't, I admit, claim that I have travelled in Britannia. But from what I have gathered (largely from Peter, whom I trust, but also elsewhere) there is a huge step up from the Britannia.

Hey - you don't have to like it. But you'd be missing a real treat - and I think I am qualified to discuss Cunard at the top level. The difference is not significant.

The justification for the Queens' Grill must be based on cabin choice - or money no object budgets. Britannia Club is a very high quality experience.

I'll say it clearly - I have never had better service on a Cunarder. Now compare the prices of Britannia and Queens' Grill. It's a no-brainer.

Matthew

Commodore Club

QM2

I am happy that Matthew has found that the QM2 is not a horrible shoebox ship, and that the Britannia Club is wonderful.

But Just as he used to think he would never do the QM2, as long as the QE2 was still chugging; he should reserve judgment of the rest of Britannia until he has experienced it!

Karie,

I see no reason to try Britannia. Britannia Club suits me perfectly, if I'm on my own.

If I were with my wife I'd be tempted to book a Grill cabin, because the AA grade aren't that big.

Two seating strikes me as too much like school........

Matthew

Have you sailed the QM2 in 'normal' Britannia before? While I can tell that you are feeling that you are getting value for your money I was just wondering how you are able to tell that the Britannia club is offering the greatest return out of all of the posible options. Are others unhappy with the service in the standard Britannia on this trip or is it the option to dine at will that provides much of the marginal value? I am thinking about taking the Aug 9th crossing but I might bail esp if the reports are that the standard service is poor. Cheers

There is no suggestion that Britannia is poor. Far from it.

I'm saying that Britannia Club offers so much more. It isn't a case of fixing what is wrong with Britannia. It is a case of, quite frankly, over 90% of Grill standards at Britannia prices.

Yes. It is that good. Yes. I do feel that I am qualified to make that statement.

Matthew

this is the first non-Queens' Grill trip I have done.

On the QE2 we felt exactly the same thing about Princess and Caronia - what little extra you got by eating in one of the Grills wasn't worth it. You got the same food, prepared in the same kitchen, for a fraction of the price. You could even get cabins that were better located than some of the PG cabins (although admittedly not with the same facilities).

Well, Matthew, it may well be that the service is really that much better. Or it may be that there is something in you that makes them really want to please!

Wait! That didn't come out right. I am not doubting your experience. I cannot believe (in a GOOD way) that you, especially, are saying that this service is equivalent to what you have come to expect in Grills! That is very exciting information! Maybe Cunard is finally getting something right! You are very discerning, and, dare I say, demanding, and it appears that they really are getting this one right. Let's just hope it stays that way.

I am on in October, so I will have to see exactly where the space is. I think it might even encompass where my table was in January last year. (We were sort of towards the back on Port side- just in front of a half divider. You said it actually is the rear section plus some in front of that divider? Does it extend all the way up to where the coner is by the Captain's table?)

Well, I am very happy that you have had such a pleasant experience. And that your ride was nice enough to be able to look our wife in the eye and say with all honesty, "Honey! You have to come It's is smooth as silk!"

Aw, gee, you mean the pillow concierge wasn't worth paying extra for? <G>

Karie,

who suspects she could ask for a different pillow and get it, no matter the category.

I found the dinning room chairs to be terrible in the Steerage dinning room. Any man that was 6 ' tall had a hard time getting his legs under the table. The width of the seat was narrow, very uncomfortable. Rows of tables too close together. The waiters were always bumping the backs of the chairs. Is this the case in the Grills?

I found the dinning room chairs to be terrible in the Steerage dinning room. Any man that was 6 ' tall had a hard time getting his legs under the table. The width of the seat was narrow, very uncomfortable. Rows of tables too close together. The waiters were always bumping the backs of the chairs. Is this the case in the Grills?

That's curious....we had 2 men over 6 ft tall at our table and neither had any problem at all. had they been uncomfortable I doubt we'd have found ourselves lingering over coffee and dessert every night. Perhaps we were just lucky in the placement of our table but no one ever bumped us in any way.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

We had a gal at our table that was quite large, the chairs with arms were uncomfortable for her. The waiter simply changed her chair to one with no arms and then she was fine.

We happened to be next to the waiters station and noticed that all the orders were going into a computer... I neve noticed that on other ships I have been on...Clever

I found the dinning room chairs to be terrible in the Steerage dinning room. Any man that was 6 ' tall had a hard time getting his legs under the table. The width of the seat was narrow, very uncomfortable.

We had a table for six, with seven of us. Three men, none small. No problems at all, save for finding space for all the decanters and bottles!

I was always comfortable, and narrow chairs aren't built for me. Let's leave it at that!

Matthew

Archived