What's better for singles - Set tables or "freestyle" dining?

Allaex

So, I have been on many cruises with my family in the past. I loved Princess and Holland America, where we sat at the same table, with the same people and the same waiter every night. I thought it was a great way to get to know the others and the waiter in more depth and by the end of the cruise I established somewhat of a personal connection with some.

I also recently travelled on AIDA and NCL, where dining times and tables are not set. I thought this was great as well, as you can plan your meals around your schedule. However on AIDA (although I was with my parents) I started feeling a bit lonely, and I felt everyone sort of kept to themselves and any connections made were more "superficial" and didn't really go beyond small talk.

I think there are benefits and disadvantages to the traditional system, but also to this "freestyle" system.

My question I guess would be, which system any of you expert single cruisers would recommend when travelling alone?

I found NCL's freestyle was very oriented towards families and groups, very unwelcoming for singles. When the maitre d' said "they don't want you to join them" he was probably correct. With set dining, once you find the right table, you're set for the cruise.

Norwegian's Freestyle concept was developed specifically for families and groups, who wanted their own table, as opposed to sitting with strangers. So the "unwelcoming for singles" is just a side-effect, because that not who Freestyle dining was developed for. It's not a deliberate attempt to drive solos away from the MDR. I'm sure NCL is aware of the unintended side-effect, so ships with Studio cabins remedy the situation by hosting gatherings for solos, where people can form dinner groups. Still, that's not guaranteed, leaving solos with the option of either eating by themselves or foregoing the MDR in favor of the buffet or O'Sheehan's.

Having said that, it's a dissuading factor for me when going solo. (I will go on NCL with a group if the ports and prices are good.) I like the safety net factor of assigned dining. This way, whether or not you meet people to eat with, you have a full table waiting for you at each dinner, with people to talk to and compare notes with.

Those are some interesting thoughts. From what I've been reading in the other threads and from my own experience, when travelling alone, ultimately you're seeking for the freedom and flexibility to do whatever you want when you want it, which in return I believe is what this whole freestyle cruising concept is trying to achieve. Yet solo travellers who can actually live up to this motto are not really targeted, a contradiction in itself.

It would be interesting to see if NCL could incorporate a mixture of traditional and freestyle dining choices, rather than only the freestyle dining and if they would be more successful, or say singles didn't feel sidelined by NCL.

When I stayed in the studio cabins last year on the Epic, I did get together with some of the other singles on occassion, but the moment I went and did my own thing, I was only included in dinner plans if I accidentally ran into one of the people I had dined with before.

Have you ever had an experience where you were seated with people that you just didn't get along with? In that case, do you just ask to be re-seated? Generally I do get along with most people fairly easy, but some people can also really get on my nerves (she admits with shame).

• 2 weeks later...

Set dining, hands down. Most cruise lines tend to place you with other singles if possible, and that can make for a much better dining experience. Even when I've been sat with couples, it's usually an interesting table, and you can always have them reassign you if you have issues with someone at your table.

Freestyle only really works if you want to be alone when you eat.

Archived