CAPE LIBERTY -- Looking for a Hotel

zombiehunter

My friend and I are driving up and thinking about going up Friday. The whole thing hinges on getting a hotel that is cool with us leaving a car there for free and has a shuttle to and from the boat. Anyone have any experiences?

EDIT! CAPE LIBERTY!

Edited by zombiehunter

There is a bunch of them that offer a Park and Cruise special. Do you absolutely have to see your ship the morning you wake up or will Cocoa Beach work?

There are a few places close to the Port. Radisson and Country Inn and Suites come recommended here. Also think there is a Residence Inn too.

Personally, I stay in Cocoa Beach about 5 miles south of the Port.

Edited by ryano

Check put the departure boards for lots of hotel info.

We too generally book a hotel in Cocoa beach, as we prefer the tradeoff of being on or a block off the beach to the 5 minute longer drive to the port to catch the ship.

Many hotels now have a park and cruise package. If you prefer, there are a few off site parking lots that are reasonable, and will shuttle you to the port.

good luck

M

There are a number of posts here on this subject. I think there's one hotel on Staten Island with an included shuttle, but it doesn't seem to be highly recommended. Most people who do a park and cruise pay for a cab or car service to get them to and from their cruise.

Edited by markeb
Post was moved while I was suggesting it be reposted!

May I suggest you go to the East Coast Departure board. There are several very knowledgeable frequent posters that can provide great info.

We have stayed at Country Inn and Suites, Elizabeth, booked through stay 123, shuttle to port is $35 per person.

We will be staying at Hampton Inn, Staten Island, with a free shuttle to port.

Good luck with your hotel search.

These are your best choices coming from Maryland.

Trinityreservations.com - Ramada Plaza for 3/28 - $185 for hotel, parking and round trip port transportation

Hampton Inn - Staten Island - $185 for hotel plus $13 bridge toll to Staten Island plus free breakfast - call hotel to find out how to sign up for the shuttle

Your cruise is really close - make a decision now. Country Inns is also fine, but more expensive. Please post back before you make other choices - you must be selective about where you ditch your car in the Newark area.

Just got off the phone with Hampton. I'm going to book tomorrow when I wake up since I'm at work and the internet is squirrly.

Make sure that you make your shuttle reservations ASAP. I believe that is handled by their sister hotel, the Hilton, which is just across the parking lot. Hampton can transfer you over to the correct dept. Hilton also has a nice restaurant on property.

May I suggest you go to the East Coast Departure board. There are several very knowledgeable frequent posters that can provide great info.

We have stayed at Country Inn and Suites, Elizabeth, booked through stay 123, shuttle to port is $35 per person.

We will be staying at Hampton Inn, Staten Island, with a free shuttle to port.

Good luck with your hotel search.

Why are you going with the Hampton Inn this time?

I'm sure it's a a question of price - County Inns with parking and shuttle will be about $70 more than Hampton Inn on Staten Island and HI is actually an easier drive coming from Maryland.

Bubbachief - are you looking for hotels to cruise out of Cape Liberty? It looks like you would be coming from Washington State, so you would likely not have a car to worry about, would need port transportation, and might want to sightsee in NYC. These are different considerations from the folks who are driving in for the cruise and need to park for the duration and the hotel recommendations reflect those different needs.

Make sure that you make your shuttle reservations ASAP. I believe that is handled by their sister hotel, the Hilton, which is just across the parking lot. Hampton can transfer you over to the correct dept. Hilton also has a nice restaurant on property.

Agree. If you are on a budget and it is only for one night then either the Hilton or Hampton would be good. Both with cruise terminal shuttles. Do not forget to tip the driver of the shuttle, as it all helps.

I'm sure it's a a question of price - County Inns with parking and shuttle will be about $70 more than Hampton Inn on Staten Island and HI is actually an easier drive coming from Maryland.

Bubbachief - are you looking for hotels to cruise out of Cape Liberty? It looks like you would be coming from Washington State, so you would likely not have a car to worry about, would need port transportation, and might want to sightsee in NYC. These are different considerations from the folks who are driving in for the cruise and need to park for the duration and the hotel recommendations reflect those different needs.

It doesn't sound like there is much right around the Hampton Inn and we won't have a car. Don't plan on sightseeing in NYC. The reason we are thinking about the Country Inn is there's a mall within walking distance of the hotel where we can eat dinner and maybe see a movie. Will only be there overnight and plan just a one way transfer to the port.

Any other recommendations would be welcome.

Edited by bubbachief

We stayed at the hilton Garden just across from the Newark airport and arranged for a car to the norwegian port. They kept our car for free as part of the booking. Cape Liberty is much closer than port of New York, so your cab ride would be much less than ours. Hilton Garden doesn't look like much on the outside, but the rooms are nice, the staff is super friendly and the restaurant there is surprisingly good for sandwiches, etc. And free parking for entire cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are actually two Hilton Gardens - one at Newark Airport and one on Staten Island. Please don't confuse them. We recommend the one on Staten Island all the time because of the parking and the free shuttle to Cape Liberty. For Newark Airport we prefer other properties.

Why are you going with the Hampton Inn this time?

It doesn't sound like there is much right around the Hampton Inn and we won't have a car. Don't plan on sightseeing in NYC. The reason we are thinking about the Country Inn is there's a mall within walking distance of the hotel where we can eat dinner and maybe see a movie. Will only be there overnight and plan just a one way transfer to the port.

Any other recommendations would be welcome.

We liked the Country Inn just fine. We had arranged for the shuttle, roundtrip, hotel to port, and had to wait quite a while for it to arrive at the port when we returned. It seemed a bit disorganized.

Cost is a factor. CI was more expensive than the Hampton Inn, this time around. The shuttle is free, CI charges for the shuttle.

Near the CI there is an IHOP and a Ruby Tuesday's, a very short walk. The mall is a longer walk, it is an outlet type mall.

Having said all of this, either hotel seems appropriated for a night's stay before a cruise.

There is a HILTON across from EWR...there is no HILTON GARDEN INN in the EWR area.....same chain, different brands within....

There is also a HILTON in Downtown Newark.

The Hilton Garden Inn is in Staten Island....

(that's sort of like calling Courtyards, Fairfield Inns, Residence Inns and SpringHill Suites "Marriotts" . They're all Marriott brands, but very different animals...)

Just want to clear up the confusion...

You're right Meg. My bad. I think I was thinking of Wyndham Garden.

First, thank you for all the time you take to help those of us who don't know the area :-) on that note...lol. I have a cruise in Sept leaving on a Sat. So the kids don't miss to much school, we are leaving Friday after they get out which will put us driving in about midnight. Where is best to stay?? I don't want to pay to much like over $150. I will park at the port since I see a lot of hotels charge a fortune ($20+) per person to get to the port. Breakfast would be nice but not worth paying a ton for the room. Do you have any suggestions on a city to stay in thatFirst, thank you for all the time you take to help those of us who don't know the area :-) on that note...lol. I have a cruise in Sept leaving on a Sat. So the kids don't miss to much school, we are leaving Friday after they get out which will put us driving in about midnight. Where is best to stay?? I don't want to pay to much like over $150. I will park at the port since I see a lot of hotels charge a fortune ($20+) per person to get to the port. Breakfast would be nice but not worth paying a ton for the room. Do you have any suggestions on a city to stay in that is nice. I am willing to be about 20 miles out but only if my commute into the port at 9:40/10am won't be crazy. I am coming from Ohio. Than is nice. I am willing to be about 20 miles out but only if my commute into the port at 9:40/10am won't be crazy. I am coming from Ohio. Thank you so much

What is your exact date? How many people?

Coming in from Ohio (I'm assuming you're coming in I80), your best choice is to Hotwire a room in the Parsipanny area. This is a bit further out than 20 miles, but it's a much nicer area to stay in with a pool of newer 3* and up hotels in a suburban area, many of which offer breakfast. After a long drive from Ohio you will be glad to get off the highway late at night and not deal with the New York metro area after a very long drive. It's about a 45 minute drive to Cape Liberty, which should be no problem early on a Saturday morning.

What is your exact date? How many people?

Coming in from Ohio (I'm assuming you're coming in I80), your best choice is to Hotwire a room in the Parsipanny area. This is a bit further out than 20 miles, but it's a much nicer area to stay in with a pool of newer 3* and up hotels in a suburban area, many of which offer breakfast. After a long drive from Ohio you will be glad to get off the highway late at night and not deal with the New York metro area after a very long drive. It's about a 45 minute drive to Cape Liberty, which should be no problem early on a Saturday morning.

We are going Sept 19th. Well that is the Friday night we would need a hotel. I told my husband lets just park at the port and stow and go the seats and sleep....lol