Looking for Active Excursions

Efflorescence

(For those who think this looks familiar...I posted the same thing in the St. Thomas boards! :))

I will be on the FotS in late May and my travelling buddy and I are looking for something 'active' to do - not necessarily physically strenuous, but definitely 'doing' something rather than just a guided tour or sitting on the beach. Not sure if it will make an impact but we will be the only ship in port, we can't drive (so no renting a car, sadly!), and we have snorkeling booked in another port (although I don't think we'd mind a second go at it!). TIA for all suggestions!

(For those who think this looks familiar...I posted the same thing in the St. Thomas boards! :))

I will be on the FotS in late May and my travelling buddy and I are looking for something 'active' to do - not necessarily physically strenuous, but definitely 'doing' something rather than just a guided tour or sitting on the beach. Not sure if it will make an impact but we will be the only ship in port, we can't drive (so no renting a car, sadly!), and we have snorkeling booked in another port (although I don't think we'd mind a second go at it!). TIA for all suggestions!

How's this for doing something a little over the top that you will always have to look back upon and tell people about your little adventure?

Get into town from the Cruise Facility by walking, taxi or Water Taxi and find the Bus Stop (Bus Halte). Just ask when you get downtown, but there's one behind the Courthouse right in the center of town.

Look for a Bus with a sign reading 'Marigot' in the front window and climb on board.

In 45 minutes or so you'll arrive in Marigot, the capitol of the French side. Here you can get a taste of France, look at the marketplace and some of the shops and restaurants, but for me a visit to Marigot means getting up to Fort Louis. The Fort is on the hill overlooking the city and the harbor, and provides an awesome view of much of the island and across the channel to Anguilla.

th_DSCN4256.jpg th_DSCN5553.jpg

(click

Make your way back into town and enjoy a snack at Sarafina's and then catch the bus again.

Look for a bus labeled 'Philipsburg' or 'PBurg' or such -- back to the Dutch side, but in my 'adventure' you won't take it all the way back.

I would say transfer in Cole Bay to a bus headed for Maho Beach for the planes landing low over the beach. The sign will say 'Maho' or 'Mullet' or 'MBay' or such.

Get off in Maho and walk a hundred yards or so to Maho Beach and either Guy's Driftwood Boat Bar (our favorite) or over to the Sunset Bar and Grill.

th_DSCN1299.jpg

On May 21st, the day that it appears you are in port, Air France flys in an A340, scheduled to arrive at 2:00 PM, but may arrive earlier.

[YOUTUBE]s-eeMiFJ0hQ[/YOUTUBE]

After you've seen enough you can walk back out to the Maho complex and catch a bus back into Philipsburg for shopping, or you could just grab a taxi back to the Cruise Facility.

Each of the bus rides should cost you $2 per person, and the taxi should cost about $20 for two of you or less per person if you hook up with others that want to leave at the same time.

If any of this sounds appealing, then we can work on details.

Enjoy your cruise and visit to St. Maarten.

gary

Snorkeling is better elsewhere.

Do NOT expect Maho Beach to be as deserted as in that video. :)

How's this for doing something a little over the top that you will always have to look back upon and tell people about your little adventure?

Get into town from the Cruise Facility by walking, taxi or Water Taxi and find the Bus Stop (Bus Halte). Just ask when you get downtown, but there's one behind the Courthouse right in the center of town.

Look for a Bus with a sign reading 'Marigot' in the front window and climb on board.

In 45 minutes or so you'll arrive in Marigot, the capitol of the French side. Here you can get a taste of France, look at the marketplace and some of the shops and restaurants, but for me a visit to Marigot means getting up to Fort Louis. The Fort is on the hill overlooking the city and the harbor, and provides an awesome view of much of the island and across the channel to Anguilla.

th_DSCN4256.jpg th_DSCN5553.jpg

(click

Make your way back into town and enjoy a snack at Sarafina's and then catch the bus again.

Look for a bus labeled 'Philipsburg' or 'PBurg' or such -- back to the Dutch side, but in my 'adventure' you won't take it all the way back.

I would say transfer in Cole Bay to a bus headed for Maho Beach for the planes landing low over the beach. The sign will say 'Maho' or 'Mullet' or 'MBay' or such.

Get off in Maho and walk a hundred yards or so to Maho Beach and either Guy's Driftwood Boat Bar (our favorite) or over to the Sunset Bar and Grill.

th_DSCN1299.jpg

On May 21st, the day that it appears you are in port, Air France flys in an A340, scheduled to arrive at 2:00 PM, but may arrive earlier.

s-eeMiFJ0hQ

After you've seen enough you can walk back out to the Maho complex and catch a bus back into Philipsburg for shopping, or you could just grab a taxi back to the Cruise Facility.

Each of the bus rides should cost you $2 per person, and the taxi should cost about $20 for two of you or less per person if you hook up with others that want to leave at the same time.

If any of this sounds appealing, then we can work on details.

Enjoy your cruise and visit to St. Maarten.

gary

Snorkeling is better elsewhere.

Do NOT expect Maho Beach to be as deserted as in that video. :)

Wow, this sounds awesome! For the 45 minute bus ride to Marigot, is there nice scenery or interesting things to pass by, or will it be a basic commuter trip? As I said in my original post, neither my friend nor I can drive and he takes a lot of public transit in his daily life - if it's different than city buses I think I can sway him, but he is initially against taking a commute that long.

We will indeed be in port on the 21st, good sleuthing! Do you have any other tips for this adventure?

Wow, this sounds awesome! For the 45 minute bus ride to Marigot, is there nice scenery or interesting things to pass by, or will it be a basic commuter trip? As I said in my original post, neither my friend nor I can drive and he takes a lot of public transit in his daily life - if it's different than city buses I think I can sway him, but he is initially against taking a commute that long.

We will indeed be in port on the 21st, good sleuthing! Do you have any other tips for this adventure?

Far from being a commuter trip. :)

You'll pass some interesting vistas on the way over. I would sit on the left side of the bus.

Watch for the Border Monument. Long straight-of-way as you approach the French side. Past the Harley Davidson shop.

The bus will most probably be loaded with locals, both sides, French and Dutch. Interesting conversations to eavesdrop on or join in with.

Be sure to say hello and good morning and such, not just on the bus, but with everyone you meet. You want to be a traveler, not just a tourist.

"Stop Please" when you want to get off, pay when you exit, not board.

gary

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds great! We are going to go for it!

Any last minute logistic suggestions? I am a little worried about finding bus stops/transfers, but I think everything else should be okay. Thank you again for all your help - sounds like you have a lot of expertise :)

• 2 weeks later...

gtaylor - thank you so much! Our trip was incredible! We had no trouble using the bus system or traveling to Marigot. The view from the fort was incredible and we saw very few other tourists up there; it really was something special. Unfortunately I had some trouble handling the heat and quickly worked through our water supply, and my friend had to basically carry me down to the shops so we could cool down. We ended up not going down to Maho because of time constraints (we left the ship hours later than intended), but it was still an unforgettable journey :D

Thank you again for all your help and suggestions! We would certainly never have even thought to take the trek without you!

• 2 weeks later...