Is Key West a tender port?

swom

I'm sitting here watching a Key West streaming webcam at Mallory Square and it looks like the ship in port has tender boats coming and going. Is this a port of call that you have to tender to?

I've been there once, but don't remember tendering in..

Thanks!

I'm sitting here watching a Key West streaming webcam at Mallory Square and it looks like the ship in port has tender boats coming and going. Is this a port of call that you have to tender to?

I've been there once, but don't remember tendering in..

Thanks!

They may launched the life boats for a drill.

When there is an extra ship in town it will dock down at the old Navy base.

Rick and Deirdra

What you might be seeing are the small Sunset Key boats that run every fifteen minutes back and forth to Sunset Key. They dock at the Westin docks which are actually inside the docks where the cruiseships dock. Thus they have to pass very close to the cruiseships to get out to the water and over to nearby Sunset Key.

They come so close, in fact, they actually sail under the front hull of the ship. It is a fun trip and fun to be so up close and personal with the front of a cruise ship.

There is a type of "land tender" however at Key West. Ships that dock at the Navy Outer Mole pier have to haul passengers back and forth to town with the Conch Train and trolley. Passengers on those ships are not permitted to walk into town because they must cross Navy property.

What you might be seeing are the small Sunset Key boats that run every fifteen minutes back and forth to Sunset Key. They dock at the Westin docks which are actually inside the docks where the cruiseships dock. Thus they have to pass very close to the cruiseships to get out to the water and over to nearby Sunset Key.

They come so close, in fact, they actually sail under the front hull of the ship. It is a fun trip and fun to be so up close and personal with the front of a cruise ship.

There is a type of "land tender" however at Key West. Ships that dock at the Navy Outer Mole pier have to haul passengers back and forth to town with the Conch Train and trolley. Passengers on those ships are not permitted to walk into town because they must cross Navy property.

This must be what I saw. I kept seeing small boats coming and going all afternoon and yes, they were going in front of the ship and disappearing on the inside of the ship, ( on the dock side), and this was at Mallory Square.

Thanks so much for clearing that up. I was really wondering what was going on because I didn't remember tendering in when we were in Key West.

Thanks!!!!

Archived