Most economical way to St. John

Keys2Heaven

Hopefully this will answer questions for many others. I'm hoping Islander will help as he/she has the best info. I've found scattered around in other threads, various ways of getting to St. John's. We'd sure like to spend some time at Cinnamon Bay but want to do this on the cheap. We can't bring ourselves to spending $10/pp on a taxi when $2/pp open safari bus will do just as well.

From other posts, I have compiled the following information.

Ferry leaving Red Hook to Cruz bay:

Ship docks in Havensight.

Go outside pier area, turn right, go up about 2 blocks to K-Mart about 6 minute walk.

Catch the local bus ($2/pp), about 17 - 20 minute ride to Red Hook.

Walk to ferry boarding area. Take ferry to St. John ($5/pp - Adult OW) about 15 - 20 minutes.

Total travel time: approx. 45 minutes

Total cost pp: $7 adult

Ferry leaving Charlotte Amile to Cruz bay:

Go outside pier area, turn left & walk about 30 minutes to CA ferry.

Take ferry to St. John ($10/pp - Adult OW) about 45 minutes,

Total travel time: approx. 1 hour 15 minutes

Total cost pp: $10 adult

Once on St. John, what is best way to get to Cinnamon Bay? Take the bus? The taxi's are just as expensive as on St. Thomas.

Last year we took the "excursion" which set us back nearly $200 for 4 to Trunk Bay; would love to do in "on the cheap" this year. We've got plenty of time in port, but not extra cash (saving that for St. Maarten ;) ). Love to get the answer of the best way to get to either Cinnamon or Trunk Bay in St. John once you get over on the ferry. THANKS.

Hopefully this will answer questions for many others. I'm hoping Islander will help as he/she has the best info. I've found scattered around in other threads, various ways of getting to St. John's. We'd sure like to spend some time at Cinnamon Bay but want to do this on the cheap. We can't bring ourselves to spending $10/pp on a taxi when $2/pp open safari bus will do just as well.

From other posts, I have compiled the following information.

Ferry leaving Red Hook to Cruz bay:

Go outside pier area, turn right, go up about 2 blocks to K-Mart about 6 minute walk.

Catch the local bus ($2/pp), about 17 - 20 minute ride to Red Hook.

Walk to ferry boarding area. Take ferry to St. John ($5/pp - Adult OW) about 15 - 20 minutes.

Total travel time: approx. 45 minutes

Total cost pp: $7 adult

Ferry leaving Charlotte Amile to Cruz bay:

Go outside pier area, turn left & walk about 30 minutes to CA ferry.

Take ferry to St. John ($10/pp - Adult OW) about 45 minutes,

Total travel time: approx. 1 hour 15 minutes

Total cost pp: $10 adult

Once on St. John, what is best way to get to Cinnamon Bay? Take the bus? The taxi's are just as expensive as on St. Thomas.

This is good research, and is what we found when we were there. $10 taxi a bit steep for us. On St. Johns we could not find a better solution except the taxis. Kudos for gathering this info. Brian

I think the confusion on turning right or left when exiting where the ship docks might be based on where you exit the Havensight Shopping Center when getting off the cruise ship. The main entrances/exits are across the shopping area, basically parallel to how the ships dock, you walk through the shopping area to the street. It you exit here you need to turn left toward Wendy's but at Wendy's there is a fork in the road, one road on the left continues to town the other on the right goes toward K-mart.

Now if you were to walk along the cruise ship dock and continue until you came out sort of next to/on the left of Wendys then you need to walk just a little to your right in order to turn left toward K-mart.

On St. John to get to Cinnamon Bay you need to take a taxi or rent a vechicle. Dollar rides don't exist on St. John and the public Vitran buses run along Centerline Road (Cinnamon Bay is off Northshore Road).

Caribbean Dreams - In the last 6-8 months the ferry prices have changed a couple times; the taxi rates changed back in October 05. The $2 open air safari being mentioned are the 'dollar rides' rather than a taxi.

--Islander

Also, don't forget the $4 pp admission fee to Trunk Bay beach. All together, between taxi's and ferry fare, I believe it's about $50 pp round trip to get the Trunk Bay from the cruise ship port. The upside from taking a ship's excursion is you can stay longer when you are on your own.

kitty

Archived