Luggage

SAC112750

The airlines will limit your luggage or charge you for the excess. Each airline has their own limits and charges.

The cruise lines have no real limit, but remember the luggage and everything in it will be in our cabin for the cruise.

If you drive to the port instead of flying there is still a limit on how much each piece can weigh although there's really isn't a limit on how many bags you bring. The per-piece weight limit for your ship luggage will be abut the same as it it's going on a plane (50 pounds, or 20 kg on some lines). There is room under the beds for a few suitcases of the size to hold up to 50 pounds of clothing.

Not sure what cruise line you're considering, but you need to know that there will be many people who take a 7 day cruise using only one carry on. No need to pack tons of clothes as daywear will be a bathing suit and coverup. Shorts and t shirts are regular wear for the ports, or again a bathing suit if you're doing beaches. If you're on a line like Carnival, no need to get really dressed up at night---slacks or Capri pants with a nice top will work fine. If you want to get a little more dressy on Elegant Night, a little black dress, nice slacks and dressy top will be just fine. If you pack more than one standard size piece of checked luggage, you're bringing way too much.

Most cruiselines allow 2 Suitcases per person and in addition you may have carryons and personal items. Other than that if it works with the airlines it will work for the ship. I am an overpacker try to NOT overpack it is the caribbean and you don't wear much. If you feel you may run out of clothes you can always have something washed. There are several washing options that are fairly inexpensive. Whatever you carryon (medications,cameras etc.) you will likely be toting around for the majority of the first day. Enjoy and visit my blog www.atouristlife.com for more travel and cruising tips.

Though I am not a first time cruiser. It has been awhile. I too am an overpacker so I do appreciate all of your input. However, I have never used Cruise Critic. I am in the learning stage of this. Hope I've not said or done anything wrong!

1st timers it's going to be hard to figure out what you do and do not need. But basically I've got it down to

For each day -

Underwear

T-shirt - around ship or excursion

Sport shirt - Dinner

White socks for tennis shoes.

Dress socks for dinner

For every 3 days -

1 pair for cargo shorts

1 pair of slacks - Dinner

For the entire cruise

1 pair tennis/walking shoes

1 pair dress shoes for dinner

Belts for above

If it's a long cruise I will cut back on the number of Sport Shirts I take for dinner. I only wear them for about 2 hours, so they can easily be worn again.

I've gotten it down to specific numbers that I created myself a spreadsheet. I put in the number of days, and if we want to do formal night(s) and it prints out a list of everything I need and the quantity of each. Yeah, a little OCD. ;)

What is the recommended amount of luggage? Any weight or piece limits? Going to western Caribbean, my 1st cruise.:)

You shouldn't need more than one suitcase and a tote bag for each person.

See the packing lists in my signature.

We limit ourselves to one roller each. I don't really think the cruise line cares one way or the other how much you bring, just remember you have to have somewhere to put it all once in your room...

If you are flying remember you have to follow airlines regulations!

IF you self assist off the ship remember to not pack more than you can handle yourself off the ship. My husband and I do this and so it's one roller each and a small tote bag.

• 1 month later...

My wife says got to a store like Walmart, buy something. Use the bag you were given and only pack what'll fit in that bag for your cruise... Haha.

Seriously, plan your wardrobe like you're going on vacation on land, then take half of that away, take what you have left and halve it again and you're good to go.

Wow -- I have never heard of a 200 pound limit on a ship. But then again we have never brought 200 pounds of luggage with us.

I don't think if you added up the weight of ALL my cloths and shoes it would equal that much. :eek:

1st timers it's going to be hard to figure out what you do and do not need. But basically I've got it down to

For each day -

Underwear

T-shirt - around ship or excursion

Sport shirt - Dinner

White socks for tennis shoes.

Dress socks for dinner

For every 3 days -

1 pair for cargo shorts

1 pair of slacks - Dinner

For the entire cruise

1 pair tennis/walking shoes

1 pair dress shoes for dinner

Belts for above

If it's a long cruise I will cut back on the number of Sport Shirts I take for dinner. I only wear them for about 2 hours, so they can easily be worn again.

I've gotten it down to specific numbers that I created myself a spreadsheet. I put in the number of days, and if we want to do formal night(s) and it prints out a list of everything I need and the quantity of each. Yeah, a little OCD. ;)

Good list, similar to the start point in my own spread sheet. In your planning, keep in mind clothes for travel days before/after. An additional thought: If a seven night cruise starts Sunday, I plan to do a laundry Tuesday and Thursday nights. Takes five minutes, clothes dry overnight, helps cut back on the clean clothes to pack in and the dirty clothes to pack out.

Everyone is different. While I admire those that can get by with a carry-on, that's not me. Once, swept away by reading all the "I only take one small bag" talk, I tried really hard to tone it down. It was the most miserable cruise (clothes-wise) I ever took. I'm not the kind to make 25 outfits out of one skirt, one pair of pants, 3 t-shirts and a scarf. Can't do it - don't want to do it. I take everything I feel I "might" need and everything fits nicely into two suitcases. One large for me, one medium for dh. We each bring a carry on too.

Keep in mind there's a laundry facility on most floors of the ships...

Some ships on some cruise lines. Don't assume it will be there, check beforehand. But note that every cabin anymore has a sink you can use for laundry, and AFAIK every ship has commercial laundry and dry cleaning for prices comparable to back home.

Some ships on some cruise lines. Don't assume it will be there, check beforehand. But note that every cabin anymore has a sink you can use for laundry, and AFAIK every ship has commercial laundry and dry cleaning for prices comparable to back home.

Most of the very small ships (~350 passengers and under) have full service laundry and pressing but no dry cleaning facilities.

Everyone is different. While I admire those that can get by with a carry-on, that's not me. Once, swept away by reading all the "I only take one small bag" talk, I tried really hard to tone it down. It was the most miserable cruise (clothes-wise) I ever took. I'm not the kind to make 25 outfits out of one skirt, one pair of pants, 3 t-shirts and a scarf. Can't do it - don't want to do it. I take everything I feel I "might" need and everything fits nicely into two suitcases. One large for me, one medium for dh. We each bring a carry on too.

I agree. I take what I want to take. I'm always amazed at the amount of people that say things about living in their bathing suit both the day they board and all the time the ship is sailing...that they will be out at the pool. I have zero desire to sit by the pool unless I am watching one of the kids. I live in SoCal. I can pretty much sit by the pool 24/7/365 and don't want to do it on vacation. I also don't feel like mixing and matching. I enjoy wearing evening gowns and seeing my husband dressed in a nice suit.

Also, along those same lines, I am glad so many of you can pack just using a carry on. There are many of us that need that carry on for medical devices and medications. Once I get my medications and CPAP in there, there is very little room for much else. Certainly not for a weeks clothes or my camera (yes I use a real camera).

Edited by notentirelynormal

I agree. I take what I want to take. I'm always amazed at the amount of people that say things about living in their bathing suit both the day they board and all the time the ship is sailing...that they will be out at the pool. I have zero desire to sit by the pool unless I am watching one of the kids. I live in SoCal. I can pretty much sit by the pool 24/7/365 and don't want to do it on vacation. I also don't feel like mixing and matching. I enjoy wearing evening gowns and seeing my husband dressed in a nice suit.

Also, along those same lines, I am glad so many of you can pack just using a carry on. There are many of us that need that carry on for medical devices and medications. Once I get my medications and CPAP in there, there is very little room for much else. Certainly not for a weeks clothes or my camera (yes I use a real camera).

You do know that a carry on with ONLY medical devices and medications in it doesn't count against your carry on allowance, right?

PS, I bring a pro level DSLR with grip JD at least two lenses. And only do carry on.

You do know that a carry on with ONLY medical devices and medications in it doesn't count against your carry on allowance, right?

PS, I bring a pro level DSLR with grip JD at least two lenses. And only do carry on.

Yes, I do know that for US airlines that is true. However, if you take a separate one for medical you are now taking TWO carry on cases. Yes, I do know you do photography. I pay attention :D.

I know you are a savvy traveler so this is not meant for you. There are many airlines that do not allow the extra carry on item. It is, after all, the AMERICANS with disability act, not world wide. I'm sure that those traveling to the US want to not p*ss off US travelers so they do it.

I haven't checked lately but I do know that when I first started using my CPAP Air Canada was quite clear that I did not get an extra bag and that is what I should be using my one carry on for. I called back several times and got the same, um, stern answer every time. I just don't want some unsuspecting person getting to the airport and finding out that their particular airline does not allow the extra medical item. People need to take responsibility for themselves but letting people believe that ALL airlines give you this extra item is misleading.

Can you just image arriving for your flight to London (for example) with the extra carry on only to be denied and now you have to make the choice of what to do. Combine two into one and leave behind the actual case, leave your clothes behind, have someone drive to the airport to take your stuff or, well, something. I actually was stunned Air Canada had this policy.

Okay, just checked Air Canada and while it says you can bring your CPAP on board no where does it say you will get an additional medical bag.

What it does say is - Important: All of the above regulations are strictly enforced. Passengers who exceed their allowance will be required to check their carry-on baggage, and additional checked baggage charges may apply.