Alaska Cruise question

householdmills

Hi!

We are planing our first cruise as a family (hubs has cruised before). It's going to be 2 adults and 2 kids (4 &2). We are planing a trip to Alaska sometime in 2016.

1- Is it worth to pay the price for a Disney cruise? They haven't released their prices for 2016 Alaska bound but from the prices for 2015 I think we are looking anywhere around $5.5 to $6 K for the cruise.

2- There is an offer right now through Norwegian where 3rd and 4th passengers are free if you book a balcony. Do these types of offer come around every so often or should I jump on it? I wanted to buy our cruise sometime in August since we are taking a week long vacation at beginning of June.

3- What is the best time to go to Alaska? Is June better than end of August? I'm going specifically to see the whales.

4- Would you recommend a balcony for a family with kids under 5? I've never been on a ship and I have no idea what the balcony is like (in terms of safety). I am not against oceanview.

Thank you :)

I believe that when it comes to an Alaska cruise , the itinerary is much more important than the ship .

Deciding on which one , cruise/tour , inside passage r/t , glacier route NB/SB ,

should come first then shop around for ship .

With all kids under 5 , I wonder if it may be too early for Alaska for them but you know your kids .

Edited by MCC retired

1. Only you can decide if Disney is worth the money. I personally think no, but that is me. We did our 2 Alaska cruises with HAL and Celebrity (and 5 children, not all ours, under the ages of 6). Princess, RC, and Carnival also do Alaska and have family friendly atmospheres.

2. I would jump on that deal, in fact we were looking at it recently. There is no rhyme nor reason for when they offer that deal. It could be back in a month, it may disappear for 4 years.

3. We've been in both June and July and loved both trips. Didn't see whales on either one, however that is not what we went to see. Both times others reported seeing whales. We were more interested in hiking, native culture and glaciers of which we saw a lot.

4. The balconies are perfectly safe for all ages. They only become unsafe when alcohol, drugs, violence and suicide are present. If your 2-year-old naps, they are a great place to be so as not to disturb.

You may want to check out both the family and Alaska boards here at CC for more specific information.

1. No

2. Your choice but I'd be jumping with deposit at least.

3. August. But if whales are important then be prepared for disappointment. If something is that important and you're only giving yourself 5 - 7 days to possibly experience it,,,, it won't happen.

4. Yes

Hi!

We are planing our first cruise as a family (hubs has cruised before). It's going to be 2 adults and 2 kids (4 &2). We are planing a trip to Alaska sometime in 2016.

1- Is it worth to pay the price for a Disney cruise? They haven't released their prices for 2016 Alaska bound but from the prices for 2015 I think we are looking anywhere around $5.5 to $6 K for the cruise.

4- Would you recommend a balcony for a family with kids under 5? I've never been on a ship and I have no idea what the balcony is like (in terms of safety). I am not against oceanview.

1. I don't think that Disney is worth anything more but you have to know that I absolutely hate everything to do with Disney. I am prejudiced against Disney and I admit it.

4. If you are worried about your kids climbing over the balcony barrier, no need to worry. It is not a railing but a transparent barrier.

DON

Hi!

2- There is an offer right now through Norwegian where 3rd and 4th passengers are free if you book a balcony. Do these types of offer come around every so often or should I jump on it? I wanted to buy our cruise sometime in August since we are taking a week long vacation at beginning of June.

3- What is the best time to go to Alaska? Is June better than end of August? I'm going specifically to see the whales.

#1 - No, I personally do not think its worth the cost to sail disney. I'd rather save money to put towards the things I would like to do which is where I feel I get the most memories on vacation. Like MCC_Retired replied above, I agree in the thinking that Alaska is about itinerary first and ship/line second.

#2 - I would at least put a deposit down (fully refundable later) and secure that deal, even if your still deciding. You have kids so that deal would seem to benefit you the most.

#3 - We are going in June. If you are going for the whales I suggest a whale tour in Juneau where it seems whales are seen on most every outing. Most vendors give a refund if they dont find whales and it seems they are comfortable to offer this because they almost always find the whales.

#4 - every balcony we have been on is perfectly safe for children. As a parent I would always keep a close eye on my kids and I would never hesitate to stay in a balcony room.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd skip paying for the Disney name. NCL has amazing kids programs and their own characters. (NICKELODEON) ? That 3 & 4th deal comes along usually during the dash season when all cruise lines are competing for your $$ Jan Feb mostly. Alaska sells well! I did Alaska in August and the weather was perfect but that's never a guarantee. Prices tend to be higher in August though. The balconies are nice and safe. Will be an advantage at the Glacier and viewing scenery if they are napping but not the end of the world if not. Also, check the price range difference between categories (inside outside balcony) on different lines. I recall the difference between inside and outside on Celebrity was $800 as opposed to NCL of $300 last year.

Hi!

When it comes to Cruising there are alot of options to weigh. With 2 small children you may want to spend the extra on a Disney Cruise. You are confined for several days to a small space. Although if your children like swimming just be sure the cruiselines you choose has a pool that is enclosed. I am patial to Carnival but I have no children. As for the time of year I recommend early spring. The weather is usually starting to warm up at least by mid day and you still get the beautiful scenery with the snow covered mountains. Also you are less likely to get rained out and won't have to deal with the bugs. I feel that during the summer it looks to much like home around there. Whales are everywhere if you go out on a whale watch and we also always saw several from our ship as well. An Ocean view cabin is probably best, you get the same view. The balcony is nice but everytime you open the door you will freeze and lets face it kids play with doors and the ships do not have heat (don't believe them if they tell you they do). They also can be dangerous since the wind makes a strong vacuum. Whatever you do HAVE FUN visit my travel blog www.atouristlife.com

Edited by flowers12155
forgot to address one question

My opinion. Get a balcony/veranda. When you go into fjords, everyone is trying to get to the rail so that can see all the beauty. If you have your own rail, the balcony, you don't have to fight with the others. Also, when you're on the fjord it can be very cold, you can go inside for a couple of mins to warm up and then come right back outside again. If the kids get cold, send them inside the cabin instead of having to leave your beautiful spot to keep an eye on them.

Order room service and have a coffee, hot chocolate, etc. within reach instead of having to go search for it while you are looking at the glacier. :)

Standard disclaimers. YMMV. ;)

My opinion. Get a balcony/veranda. When you go into fjords, everyone is trying to get to the rail so that can see all the beauty. If you have your own rail, the balcony, you don't have to fight with the others. Also, when you're on the fjord it can be very cold, you can go inside for a couple of mins to warm up and then come right back outside again. If the kids get cold, send them inside the cabin instead of having to leave your beautiful spot to keep an eye on them.

Order room service and have a coffee, hot chocolate, etc. within reach instead of having to go search for it while you are looking at the glacier. :)

Standard disclaimers. YMMV. ;)

The problem with this approach is that you only see half the fjord - the part on your side of the ship. I would prefer to be on deck where I can bounce from side to side so I see the best stuff.

DON

Here is a link to kid's activities on Holland America Lines for Alaska:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/holland-america-lines-kids-activities-examples/

Most kids head for the HAL Club and spend the entire day by their own choice. That leaves parents free to enjoy excursions and shipboard activities while knowing their kids are having a great time.