Tandoor assistance Magic or other similar ships

Kermit426

Ok, I'll admit it...I've always been to much of a wimp to try Indian food. However after all the posts I have read about people loving Tandoor, I think I have may been missing out on something great. Looking for suggestions and descriptions of some of your favorite items you have had at Tandoor. What did you love, and what would you suggest for someone to try for the first time?

Naan (Indian bread served warm...love, love, love this bread) and the basmati rice will be essentials to put on your plate. Then look at the side dishes and pick the veggie and meats you would normally like (ie: they use diced potatoes, peas, chicken, beef), they are in sauces and many different kinds of curry type spices. Just take a little and chase each spoonful with a piece of naan torn into bite size pieces and mix a little rice in.

Sample several items by putting one spoonful of each on your plate, get your bread and go sit and enjoy the flavor of each item. If you do not like one thing you may love another....the bread tempers some of the more spicey foods when eating. Enjoy!!!

The riata (yogurt sauce) also tempers the heat of some of the dishes.

We'll put the Pineapple chutney on top of ice cream :). There are lots of sauces and chutneys.

If you end up liking the Tandoor, try the Indian Vegetarian at dinner. If you want meat, need to preorder 'Non-Vegetarian' the night before. Be warned that it comes on two plates. We take off the three ramekins and place them around the rice plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Before you eat it on a ship, maybe try it at home. Is there an Indian restaurant near you? Most likely, if there is one (or more), they'll have a lunch buffet. Go. Try the lunch buffet. You can try several different items (for less than the price of one entrée) and see what suits your tastes. If, by chance, you know any Indians, ask them what restaurants they prefer. Yes, there are good and bad Indian restaurants, and we would be honoured to point you in the right direction.

No. I believe Tandoor is only on the three Dream class ships....Dream, Magic and Breeze

Never tried Indian until our cruise on Dream last January. I ate lunch at Tandoor nearly every day after the first! Now. I seek out Indian food restaurants near home. Please try a sample of everything before deciding you dont6 like it. Naan bread was freshly made and tasted awesome with the chutney.

The pea shoot salad was incredible. DH and I wore out Tandoor. *so good*

If anyone can figure out the recipe for the pea salad,I would be grateful!

Breeze, Dream, Magic, and Splendor have Tandoor.

https://www.carnival.com/cruise-food/tandoor

Sent from my LG-M210 using Forums mobile app

Before you eat it on a ship, maybe try it at home. Is there an Indian restaurant near you? Most likely, if there is one (or more), they'll have a lunch buffet. Go. Try the lunch buffet. You can try several different items (for less than the price of one entrée) and see what suits your tastes. If, by chance, you know any Indians, ask them what restaurants they prefer. Yes, there are good and bad Indian restaurants, and we would be honoured to point you in the right direction.

That's a great idea! I'll have to ask around and find a restaurant to try out. Thanks for suggesting that. :)

We eat it all and Carnival is the best for Indian. Most of their chefs hail from India so it's only logical. Likewise, Italian is best on Princess - again the chefs hail from Italy primarily.

The flavors of Indian food vary as widely as southern fried chicken in the Carolinas to lobster rolls in Maine to Tex-mex in Texas. You really do have to just sample here and there and see what you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wouldn't it be cheaper to try it on a ship? If you don't like it, no harm and you are not out any money. Plus there are many other choices on a ship. If you like it, then you have many more chances to try it during your cruise.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to try it on a ship? If you don't like it, no harm and you are not out any money. Plus there are many other choices on a ship. If you like it, then you have many more chances to try it during your cruise.

That is what I was thinking but you beat me to it. Easy to try all they have to offer and see what works for you

Trying Indian food for the first time isn't like trying out the new pizza place that just opened down the street. It's a whole 'nother cuisine. Indian food utilizes many spices and oils that may be new to many people and not everyone's system can tolerate them. If something doesn't agree with someone who just tried it for the first time, and they end up with some distress, would that person rather be at home or on a cruise where they'd be stuck in their cabin for some time?

Edited by nchikk

If, by chance, you know any Indians, ask them what restaurants they prefer. Yes, there are good and bad Indian restaurants, and we would be honoured to point you in the right direction.
This is so critical. Also, if you don't know any Indians, you can check to see if Indian families eat there. If so, then it probably has good food. However, that begs the question: Is Tandoor good because it is a rarity or because its food stacks up against the "good" Indian food nchikk referred to?

The little Samoa patties are wonderful. Filling of meat,peas, and potato. Love it.
And although it is a little bit of work, it isn't impossible to make samosas at home. We had a board game night at our home about a year ago with my spouse's co-workers, some of who are natives of India. I made a buffet of "enrobed food", tex-mex taquitos, spinach and cheese filled puff pastry, and my big challenge was Indian samosas. One of the natives of India could not get enough of what he referred to as "a taste of home". Sure, I got lucky to some extent, but once you get comfortable with putting so much spice into food and treating it right, it really isn't hard to make Indian food, and much of it is very forgiving (though not samosas - the wrapper is difficult, the filling not-so-much).

The flavors of Indian food vary as widely as southern fried chicken in the Carolinas to lobster rolls in Maine to Tex-mex in Texas. You really do have to just sample here and there and see what you like.
Very true though most share some amount of affinity for spices, and most of the time at least some of a region's dishes include some combination of cloves, cinnamon, mace, cardamom, cumin, bay leaf and/or coriander, flavor combinations that are less familiar to many of us who grew up here in the United States.

I would definitely recommend that folks just trying Indian for the first time avoid Vindaloo dishes unless they're already fans of five-alarm chili or Ma Po Sichuan.

If something doesn't agree with someone who just tried it for the first time, and they end up with some distress, would that person rather be at home or on a cruise where they'd be stuck in their cabin for some time?
This is often due to impact on the body from eating only part of an Indian meal. Indian cuisine is, like all cuisines, a matter of the right balance. There's all that spice, and in a balanced meal you also eat cheese curd or yoghurt, perhaps ending the meal with raita, to keep the stomach on an even keel. Some Indian dishes are closer to balanced by themselves, others not-so-much.

Another cause for that may be a body's lack of familiarity with staples of the cuisine. Indian food uses a lot of ingredients in the nightshade family: Tomatoes, eggplant, and chilis. If you aren't used to them, they irriate.

Also, when we Americans eat Indian food we tend to eat festival food - we gravitate to the greasier deep fried chaat dishes, and that's going to be a problem regardless of the cuisine.

Having said that, it wouldn't hurt to try Indian food at home before boarding the ship. :)

Trying Indian food for the first time isn't like trying out the new pizza place that just opened down the street. It's a whole 'nother cuisine. Indian food utilizes many spices and oils that may be new to many people and not everyone's system can tolerate them. If something doesn't agree with someone who just tried it for the first time, and they end up with some distress, would that person rather be at home or on a cruise where they'd be stuck in their cabin for some time?

I am a fan of Tandoor and tried Indian dishes for the first time on a cruise ship. I do not find the dishes in Tandoor on Carnival to be overpowering. I also when trying something new will only try a bit at a time so no room for distress. Having said that, I have not tried all the dishes in Tandoor. I have a few favorites and usually have thise with other choices from Lido.