What to do in Phuket, Thailand??

Kiwi_cruiser

We have never been to Phuket, Thailand before.

I was wondering what not to miss in Phuket?? & what would you recommend doing here for the day??

Also is there any private tour company's you would recommend??

Any ideas / suggestions are welcome :)

Be forewarned - the Phuket taxi union is a nasty cartel. Any attempt to negotiate down their extortionate fare demands is hopeless. Phuket taxis refuse to use meters and at the port they are content to refuse business until tourists pay through the nose.

Its a disgrace. Upscale resorts on the western side of Phuket - such as the Hyatt and the Meridian, where all the good beaches are - lament they have no control over these jackals and openly moan they are losing repeat business from guests who refuse to return due to how avaricious the taxis are to/from the airport.

There was a big bust of the cartel in May. Arrested were senior police officers which gives CC readers a good sense of the corruption and Soprano-like fiefdom.

When we visited on Oceania in March, from port to town (about 10 minutes), all taxis at the port refused to accept anything less than $50 - one way! We took a bus outside the port gates and a tuk-tuk back (total: $4). Bus schedules are erratic.

Bottom line: hire before your cruise a tour operator on Phuket to get around. Avoid winging it at the port with taxis. Phuket taxi cartel is organized, powerful and avaricious when it comes to cruise ship passengers.

This was not booked from a cruise..i took it when I was in Phuket last year.

I'm not aware of how far the ship docks from phuket town nor how long you are scheduled to be in Phuket but if you Google Phuket Heritage Trails Tour the young local lady who runs this tour (her name is Chaya) will let you know everything.

She is really lovely..speaks perfect english and will show you a side of phuket that you will not otherwise know exists- it was truly awesome

• 1 month later...
Be forewarned - the Phuket taxi union is a nasty cartel. Any attempt to negotiate down their extortionate fare demands is hopeless. Phuket taxis refuse to use meters and at the port they are content to refuse business until tourists pay through the nose.

Its a disgrace. Upscale resorts on the western side of Phuket - such as the Hyatt and the Meridian, where all the good beaches are - lament they have no control over these jackals and openly moan they are losing repeat business from guests who refuse to return due to how avaricious the taxis are to/from the airport.

There was a big bust of the cartel in May. Arrested were senior police officers which gives CC readers a good sense of the corruption and Soprano-like fiefdom.

When we visited on Oceania in March, from port to town (about 10 minutes), all taxis at the port refused to accept anything less than $50 - one way! We took a bus outside the port gates and a tuk-tuk back (total: $4). Bus schedules are erratic.

Bottom line: hire before your cruise a tour operator on Phuket to get around. Avoid winging it at the port with taxis. Phuket taxi cartel is organized, powerful and avaricious when it comes to cruise ship passengers.

Ain't that the truth.........................wouldn't go to Phuket again even if I won a free trip. Whilst our experience with the bandits was 3 years ago - I remember it well.

Elephant ride is fabulous - picked up at the port - taken back to the port - or wherever you want to go. We chose to be dropped of in a town (can't remember the name) hence our dealing with the bandits who don't wear masks - TAXI's. Cost a small fortune - nearly $100.00 dollars to go about 15 kms - about a 15 minute ride.

Edited by dizzy1948

In order to avoid the cartel, try walking away from the port. Chances are that a lone taxi will stop and negotiate with you away from their "mates". Always, always, always smile and joke with them when negotiating, it usually works.

I am thinking of getting a day room at an upscale resort while my cruise is in port for a day. Does anyone have suggestions? Given the taxi scam as described below I'll also arrange for the resort to pick me up and return. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am thinking of getting a day room at an upscale resort while my cruise is in port for a day. Does anyone have suggestions? Given the taxi scam as described below I'll also arrange for the resort to pick me up and return. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Holiday Inn Express in Patong beach is a nice hotel. Staff are great, great location and gorgeous hotel. Great prices too.

We always stay there wen we got to Phuket.

Hello All

We are due to anchor in the bay at Patong at 1pm and we sail again at 10pm.

I have a boat tour operator willing to collect us at the pier and return us, visit Coral island and a few others and then return - set to take about 4 hours.

Would you say that there is enough time to do this and still see a few shops before we return to the ship or is this pushing it a bit?

Your opinions would be welcome please

I have no idea how long it will take to get tenders to the beach and back either.

Many Thanks

Hello All

I have a boat tour operator willing to collect us at the pier and return us, visit Coral island and a few others and then return - set to take about 4 hours.

Would you say that there is enough time to do this and still see a few shops before we return to the ship or is this pushing it a bit?

I have no idea how long it will take to get tenders to the beach and back either.

Many Thanks

Hi,

Would you be willing to share the name of the operator you were talking to? I'm on a different day to you.

Thanks

Raina

Hello All

Many Thanks

We are on the same cruise as you!

• 10 months later...