Viking New Long Boat General Questions

jan can

These questions likely apply to any of the new Viking long boats. We will be on the Var.

They say bottled water is supplied in your room each day. How much? If I wanted more, what is the charge?

Are there irons?

What is the cost of laundry. I'm thinking mainly about men's jeans. Most things I can wash by hand, like at home.

Do they supply hair conditioner?

Hand lotion?

Are there umbrellas in the event of rain.

In the French balconey room, I think it says there is a fridge. This would be for your wine or drinks? Do they supply wine glasses and an opener?

I travel light and don't want to bring excess supplies if not needed. If need be, I'd rather buy what I want in Budapest, if possible. We have a couple of days ahead of boarding the ship.

Anything else along this line that I should know or someone else has questions about.

They say bottled water is supplied in your room each day. How much? If I wanted more, what is the charge?

You have two coffee stations with coffee, cookies AND an unlimited supply of water (with co2 and without).

Are there umbrellas in the event of rain.

The ships provide LARGE umbrellas (for 2 persons).

You can always ask your room attendant to leave you an extra. Do not remember, if they charge. But when you go on an included tour - you can also get a free bottle of water.

Are there irons? NO - NOT PERMITTED

What is the cost of laundry. I'm thinking mainly about men's jeans. Most things I can wash by hand, like at home.

Check on website http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/about-your-trip/ontheship.aspx

Do they supply hair conditioner? YES AND IT CAN BE REFILLED AS NECESSARY

Hand lotion? NO

Are there umbrellas in the event of rain. YES

In the French balconey room, I think it says there is a fridge. This would be for your wine or drinks? Do they supply wine glasses and an opener? I DO NOT BELIEVE A WINE CORK IS AVAILABLE

They provide a large bottle of water in your cabin each day - and I am sure they wouldn't charge you if you wanted an extra. It is a 1 litre glass bottle.

Hand lotion?

I seem to remember that there is hand/body lotion in each cabin. But, just in case, you can always "liberate" one from your hotel before you get on the boat.

In the French balconey room, I think it says there is a fridge. This would be for your wine or drinks? Do they supply wine glasses and an opener?
We had wine glasses, but they may have been put there because a bottle of wine was left for us. It wasn't corked (it was sparking, so had the wire and plastic "cork") so didn't need an opener. You could ask to have the wine opened at the bar - although they might not appreciate it if you drank it in the lounge. But - ask them to open it and then take it to your room (or up on the deck) and you should be OK.

I travel light and don't want to bring excess supplies if not needed. If need be, I'd rather buy what I want in Budapest, if possible. We have a couple of days ahead of boarding the ship.

Are you staying on your own in Budapest, or as part of a package? If this was arranged through Viking (or is included as part of your cruise - as it was when we did the Passage to Eastern Europe earlier this year....) then there is a Viking rep stationed in the lobby that can assist with helping you locate shops to purchase items you may want.

If you have any further questions, please post. We traveled on the Aegir in late April/early May - and it was a great experience.

Enjoy!!

Fran

I can use whatever glasses are handy so I don't worry about that - but always travel with a corkscrew. Comes in so handy (and I have forgotten them, and end up buying more, so I always have enough to throw in my suitcases for the next trip) Although they should be legal to fly with (as long as they don't have blades - some of the waiter-styles do) I've only had one confiscated -in Costa Rica. I've had a lot of stuff that is legal everywhere else confiscated in Costa Rica:rolleyes:

There is a 110 outlet near the bed and then there are two 110 outlets across from the bed, above a countertop, one outlet at each end. We found that to be plenty for charging our devices, and using blow dryers, etc.

Thanks for all the answers.

We are arriving in Budapest on our own. We will pick up whatever basic supplies we need there. When we travel in N.A., we just buy the basics when we arrive. No reason we can't do it in Europe too. Never having been there before will just be part of the adventure. I don't expect to find any dollar stores.

Hoyaheel, I laughed about your corkscrews because we too own more than anyone can use in a lifetime. There's a lot to be said for screw caps at times.

The lounge usually works better than the cabins. Biggest issue are your fellow travellers. Recently I had some hours off, was waiting on a long ship. Internet worked flawless, until groups came back from their excursions.. One could really see how all the ipads, smartphones and other mobile devices connected and used up all the bandwidth.

Something like this can be a useful addition to your standard travel equipment:

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M

Turns one outlet into 4 without taking up much room in the suitcase.

I have a mixture of equipment using both USA and UK style plugs so when space permits, this is what I take with me:

http://www.amazon.com/VCT-USP600-Worldwide-Universal-Protector/dp/B0036ZE6V0/ref=sr_1_cc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310275682&sr=1-1-catcorr

I only ever use these things for charging and low current applications, never for anything more demanding as you wouldn't want to overload the circuit in your cabin.

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding the bottled water that is provided when you go out on excursions, please be aware that it is mineral water, not the type of bottled water we are used to here in the U.S. If you have dietary restrictions (low/no salt) be careful. I only discovered this when my ankles swelled up badly on the 3rd or 4th day.

Regarding the bottled water that is provided when you go out on excursions, please be aware that it is mineral water, not the type of bottled water we are used to here in the U.S. If you have dietary restrictions (low/no salt) be careful. I only discovered this when my ankles swelled up badly on the 3rd or 4th day.

Thank you. That was a very important tip for me. I may just have to buy bottled water to keep in the room. I am guessing that the "tap" water is not drinkable like on ocean cruisers. Is that correct?

Thank you. That was a very important tip for me. I may just have to buy bottled water to keep in the room. I am guessing that the "tap" water is not drinkable like on ocean cruisers. Is that correct?

The tap water IS potable. I drink it all the time.

Archived