Family of 5 Robbed and shot at in Rotan

dramaqueenjan

Has anyone else seen this? It was beginning of January the were passengers of Carnival on a non carnival excursion.A man fired shots at the rental car causing them to wreck then held them at gunpoint ..its posted on cruise critic facebook page ..so thankful no one was hurt and makes me more aware of potential danger in ports.

Has anyone else seen this? It was beginning of January the were passengers of Carnival on a non carnival excursion.A man fired shots at the rental car causing them to wreck then held them at gunpoint ..its posted on cruise critic facebook page ..so thankful no one was hurt and makes me more aware of potential danger in ports.

Scary. We're going to Roatan, but since we've been there before, we don't plan on leaving the port. We'll get off the ship, wander near the port, people watch, & then get back on the ship to relax.

Sadly, incidents like that occur in US cities every day. I'm sure it was an isolated occurrence. Although I think it to a horrible situation I don't think that the bad guy knew

whether or not it was a Carnival excursion or not. I will continue to get off in these ports,

use my head, and hope that nothing of this sort happens. Same thing goes for my home town where bad things happen to good people.

This is kind of disheartening. We were planning on booking a cruise to these ports this summer. Starting to think twice now.

Just got finished reading the State Department Travel Warnings as well that kind of make me think it may not be worth the risk.

we went to Peurta vallerta right after a robbery there and were advised by others to stay on the ship..We had an excursion through Carnival already booked and wasnt about to cancel it was an extreme canopy zip line ..we went and the roads up there had armed police with machine guns in jeeps .We had a blast and felt very safe so glad we didnt let fear get the best of us ..going to Jamaica this fall on magic and I fully intend on having a great time there as well..I think its important to be aware of potential danger but as another poster said this can happen in our hometowns as well..

Sorry to hear what happened here. I love Roaton. But we never go off on our own unless we are with a guided tour,. In fact we usually go with Godfrey when we are on the island. His staff makes sure that no one comes by you that are not part of their team.

We'll be in Roatan in about 10 days. However, we've been there before and did a tour of the island & monkey/parrot place. We'll just stick to the port area, shop a little, people watch, and then back on the ship to relax.

Wow. That's scary stuff. It certainly underlines the fact that you shouldn't venture outside of the more protected tourist areas, really anywhere in the Caribbean, and not just in Roatan. And especially on the heels of a warning from the State Department. I'm glad the passengers were unharmed. It sounds like Carnival handled it well and did what they could for the passengers.

Sorry to hear what happened here. I love Roaton. But we never go off on our own unless we are with a guided tour,. In fact we usually go with Godfrey when we are on the island. His staff makes sure that no one comes by you that are not part of their team.

Do you mean Victor Bodden? Isn't Godfrey in St Thomas?

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

That lets England out for me :eek:

LOL.

That is what I was thinking.

No uncharted palaces for me.

But I don't think I will be renting a car and driving my kids around in the Caribbean either.

Yikes.

That should have sounded a bit iffy in the planning stages.

Seriously.

Edited by mzloolue

Its scary when you see isolated incidents like this in other countries but when you turn on the news here and see much more much worse daily its not as scary for some reason. If their port of call had been Detroit none of them may have made it out alive. Just smart to always be careful and not let a false sense of security cloud your judgement.