How common is seasickness?

fla_momuv3

We're taking our first cruise in April, the Fascination, and are wondering about the reality of sea sickness. My husband and I are both prone to motion sickness, and take dramamine or Bonine when the situation requires it. However, I've heard that ships are so big that you don't even feel it. Comments? Anything would be helpful. My dh's doctor recommended the patch when he heard we were taking a cruise.

:eek: Better to be safe than sorry......once it sets in, there's no going back! .....if you are prone to motion sickness, you might just take some motion pills anyway...whatever they might be. I never get sick, no matter how the seas are and my wife sometimes does/sometimes doesn't....but she always starts off with some dramamine, then decides about the movement later. The ships really are so large that the movement can be so slight, but somehow your body still knows!. In any event, have a great cruise!!!!!!

We use Meclazine, seems to have less side effects and my son is motionsick and never has any problems with this. If the ships pull in the stabilizers to make up time this tends to make some waves. If they are not bringing them in and time is fine, you probably won't know you are on water....

Would not know , Never been seasick , not even in the North Atlantic in 50 foot seas . But as far as ships go, my wife whom has never been on one, went last yr, she did not get ill once , nor did my parents . But everyone is different , good luck to you , and a bit of advice , if feeling like you might get ill, keep food on stomach , and limit liquids to a minimum , till you get used to it , maybe a day or so .

My friend gets motion sickness, she has to drive her own car, cant be the passenger. She wears the patch on every cruise and it works to prevent the illness. It depends on the seas when you sail as well, I have been on both RCI and CCL smaller ships during rough weather, other people were getting sick, but not me.

So many people cruise and it seems so few have a problem I'd think it's not that common but for those who do it can be a real problem. My own experience of cruising and quite a few trips deep sea fishing has been that if you worry a lot about getting sick you're gonna get sick. If instead you focus on something else you will probably be fine. I think that food choices, alcohol consumption and where your cabin is also have something to do with it.

I was queasy once on my first cruise yet I don't get sick on much smaller boats out in the gulf, go figure. My advice; bring along a cure or two just in case.

I was always prone to motion sickness growing up. When I went on my first cruise I was told that I wouldn't notice the movement because it was so big. I didn't take anythig. I was fine until the third day when we turned around to come back up the coast to LA. I got violently ill. I ws told by the ship personnel that if you tend to get seasick it will be when y u are going against the currents. I have now been on twelve cruises with another one coming up in three weeks. I take the pills twice a day otherwise I get sick. Tried doing only one but still got sick. Everyone is different though. Have fun on your cruise.

I use the patch on cruises since my first. I was not violently ill just a feeling of not feeling good. I do fine on our boat, even in the ocean. My son who gets motion sick on land usually does fine on cruises. I usually start him out with a patch and around the second or third day (a port day) he takes it off. Usually he's fine. I guess it depends on the person.

Aside from the meds, here's a little tip. My wife doesn't get overly ill from motion, but gets used to the ship moving by looking towards the horizon instead of down, and it makes a difference! Hope this helps!:o

I have experienced motion sickness on pleasure crafts. I've been on four cruises. The first one, the first night, I got a little queasy but I think it was from the Dramamin! I think sometimes, for some people, the meds can make you sicker that taking your chances. I have done some research and have found that Ginger tablets, (I think Consumer Reports did a study) proved to be the most effective motion sickness remedy available! So, I take Ginger tabs and gum. If I get the slightest ill feeling, I start the Ginger. If I know the seas are going to be rough, I'll start them then, as well. Other than the first cruise where I was taking Dramamine and felt ill (had no problems after I STOPPED the meds) I haven't had any problems. I do advise getting up on deck, in the fresh air and watching the horizon at the first indication of feeling not quite right. Don't stay in your cabin and try to ride it out...unless you can see out the window!

Donna

I have experienced motion sickness on pleasure crafts. I've been on four cruises. The first one, the first night, I got a little queasy but I think it was from the Dramamin! I think sometimes, for some people, the meds can make you sicker that taking your chances. I have done some research and have found that Ginger tablets, (I think Consumer Reports did a study) proved to be the most effective motion sickness remedy available! So, I take Ginger tabs and gum. If I get the slightest ill feeling, I start the Ginger. If I know the seas are going to be rough, I'll start them then, as well. Other than the first cruise where I was taking Dramamine and felt ill (had no problems after I STOPPED the meds) I haven't had any problems. I do advise getting up on deck, in the fresh air and watching the horizon at the first indication of feeling not quite right. Don't stay in your cabin and try to ride it out...unless you can see out the window!

Donna

Unfortunately, ginger tablets don't work for everyone. I have suffered from motion sickness all of my life. I get sick on planes, trains, ships, etc. I swear by Bonine. Taken at night, it does not make you drowsy. You take one every 24 hours.

I made the mistake of taking 2 before our last cruise. Then once on board, I had a welcome aboard drink. I was pretty much gone for the next couple of hours. After that, I took one a day and was fine.

The first 3 days of our cruise was VERY choppy, but I never felt sick at all.

Better safe than sorry! :)

On our last cruise our dinner seating was a window table. I have never been sick on a cruise, but at dinner before it was dark outside, seeing the waves and being aware of the motion from the window view made me feel a little queasy. I also think there are certain areas on the ships that make you a little more aware of the motion and possibly a little more prone to sickness.

Definitely take seasickness meds along just in case. My DH and I had never gotten seasick, even on some rough cruises, so I eventually stopped bringing medication along. Well, in 06 my DH became dreadfully seasick! We couldn't believe it. There were others sick too, and bags all over the ship, but honestly, I didn't think the rocking was as bad as other ships we'd been on. The pursers desk gave him medication, but it made him SO groggy, he was passed out in bed for two days! We just asssumed the ship pills were non-drowsy. He insisted on going to formal night and I had to keep him from slipping off his chair and sliding under the table! LOL. Now, I load up on non-drowsy meds just in case!

I have had motion sickness my whole life. Thats why I never dared cruise until I was in my 40's. After seeing my brothers pic's from a cruise, I got the nerve to try. I decided on a 4 night cruise just in case. I took Bonine a day before the cruise. When on board, I took a pill every morning and 1 at bedtime. The waters were BAD the last night. It was a rough night but I did really well. Never had a problem. I was so excited, I now have a 7 night cruise planned!

I have had motion sickness my whole life. Thats why I never dared cruise until I was in my 40's. After seeing my brothers pic's from a cruise, I got the nerve to try. I decided on a 4 night cruise just in case. I took Bonine a day before the cruise. When on board, I took a pill every morning and 1 at bedtime. The waters were BAD the last night. It was a rough night but I did really well. Never had a problem. I was so excited, I now have a 7 night cruise planned!

I agree. BONINE. Use it every cruise. Dramamine tends to wipe you out. Stay away from it.

Thank you everyone who responded! Great advice, all. My dh is thinking of getting the patch, and I'm also planning to carry bonine or dramamine ( or both?) and a bottle of ginger pills--we use that for flying. DH is worse than I am, but when we go on excursions, I'll be the one suffering from car sickness...can't let the world go by for a little nausea! :)

On our honeymoon my new groom was seasick the second night so he took so dromemine (the drowsy kind)...

It just so happened the couple we sat with at dinner received a bottle of champagne as a honeymoon gift and he had a glass....

Drugs + Champagne = outcold husband for 3 hours:( and kind of funny too!:D

Archived