Sorry ... Another ES Question

Schoifmom

DD is booked into our room as a 3rd person on our upcoming cruise. Final payment is due 10/13. She may not be able to go. Since I have book an ES fare, what (if any) type of refund could I expect? Will they be able to just credit her fare to me as OBC since I have paid for it?

If she cancels before deadline Carnival will credit her deposit less $50 penalty toward a future cruise; if you paid, you should be able to get the credit for yourself. It's possible they'll move you to a 2 person cabin, or maybe not.

WRT the future cruise credit, normally if you cancel and re-book in the same call, they apply the carryover money to the next cruise deposit; if you cancel and re-book later, they normally apply the carryover money to the next cruisefare and you have to pay the deposit.

ken

And if she cancels after final payment? Am I just out the cruise fare?

Standard cancellation penalties apply after the final payment date. The lowest penalty is the deposit amount, which is $200 for a 5-day cruise. (I don't know what they do if the cruise fare is less than the deposit.) For a 5-day cruise, when you get to 45 days before sailing, it's 50% of the cruise fare or the deposit, whichever is greater. At 30 days, 75%. At 15 days, 100%. Gov't taxes will be refunded in any case. With these penalties after the final payment date, none of those penalty amounts are held for a future cruise.

Not sure exactly your answer but for our next cruise we think my husband will go, just not sure. So instead of putting down 3 early saver deposits I just put for my daughter and me. If DH goes I will add to the room about same time as final payment. Booked a room that can hold 3, but ok for 2 to book. I figured the 3 person add on rate will really not change that much and I don't have to deal with cancellation if he decides not to go.

You may be out of luck when trying to book a 3rd passenger at final payment time ship might be legally full even thou you have 3 passenger they can't sell more than what the lifeboats hold

That might be true, but it's highly unlikely that an October cruise will already be at full capacity at the final payment date. Aside from extremely crazy & unusual circumstances, only the very high demand sailings should worry about that.

In addition to that, Carnival tries very carefully to plan for the lifeboat capacity issue. In the right circumstances, every single available bed on the ship can be filled by a guest. The reason that some sofas can be beds while other sofas (that are identical) are never allowed to beds is because of this lifeboat issue. The reason they don't have 2 upper bunks in every single room is the lifeboat issue. So if all goes according to plan, every extra bed can be filled. But if the ship will be carrying more staff or more entertainers than usual, then what you're talking about might come into play on the very high demand sailings.

Edited by k2excursion