Puerto Vallarta - Where for Mexican lunch?

Weena

On Crown 4/11/15-- Any suggestions as to where to walk for Mexican Food? Or will we need to take a Taxi? Two ladies hungry for good Tacos, margaritas....

Are you looking for the USA version of Mexican food or the Mexican version?

Oh my! I am from San Diego & recently San Jose. Have eaten street food in Mexico before (Cabo where I saw some of the cruise staff eating). (Tijuana -when I 'knew' what was Safe) [emoji15]. Guacamole maybe, Carne Tacos... Probably my safest bet is American'ized but just not sure.

We just went in Jan - had a great time! I cannot recommend an individual location in Puerto Vallarta, as we took a walking food tour. We loved it! We were able to sample a lot of authentic Mexican food. If interested you can find info at VallartaFoodTours.com.

Although you didn't ask about Cabo, I can recommend a great spot for lunch there, It is called "The Office". It is a short, fun water taxi ride over to Medano Beach. When you get out of the water taxi look for all of the big blue umbrellas on the beach, You can't miss it. The food was fabulous and the atmosphere and view awesome. Prices were very reasonable.

ImageUploadedByForums1427296602.131350.jpg.028cbdf71670a6f3ed9af800381bf91c.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1427296627.890946.jpg.51476a2cd89ba36cc4d237ec44b757c4.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1427296642.346098.jpg.13af89a5c9828fd917afb1a0da333594.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1427296673.245706.jpg.fb029bcc29436290906a544eb275cebc.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1427296708.648900.jpg.45953419fb93fa4dacc78dcf6e545022.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1427296918.151925.jpg.bd29c0adcf02cd9864069f38c9fddbc3.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1427296948.483694.jpg.059fac906edf3f688c5a78e92fdc7aa5.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1427297380.084530.jpg.c9ea0e9aad0a6e01ed54d08971b9f8f0.jpg

Edited by #1Nanna
Add pictures

Oh my! I am from San Diego & recently San Jose. Have eaten street food in Mexico before (Cabo where I saw some of the cruise staff eating). (Tijuana -when I 'knew' what was Safe) [emoji15]. Guacamole maybe, Carne Tacos... Probably my safest bet is American'ized but just not sure.

When in Mexico do as the Mexicans do.

Out the window with the American version. :D

We ate at Viejo Vallarta.(December 2014) We took the public bus($1.00 USD approx. each way) to the Malecon area and it was upstairs,no elevator that I saw. Great view of the sea horse statue and water. Food was very good. They have been around since, I think 1959.

Also, lots of people talk about the Cheeky Monkey,we did not go there.

Julie

We didn't exactly eat in PV. We booked the excursion to Las Caletas and ate there. The food wasn't exactly the best in the world but the day was wonderful. Drinks are included during the 45 minute or so catamaran trip to the beach. Then drinks are included with the lunch and also during the day at the beach. Drinks are also included on the trip back to the ship. I can tell you the return trip was a bit "louder" than the trip to the beach. Drinks were margaritas, pina coladas, rum punch, and Tecate beer. We aren't fans of Tecate but the other drinks were pretty good. There was also Kahlua at lunch which went quite well in the coffee. (It was a big bottle and you just added whatever you wanted.) I also had a couple of shots of Cazadores as I saw they had it at one of the serving stations.

We had a wonderful day on the beach, There are loungers, snorkeling, stand-up paddle boards, kayaks, tubes... I don't remember the cost - maybe $100 each. We had a really wonderful and relaxing day.

We didn't exactly eat in PV. We booked the excursion to Las Caletas and ate there. The food wasn't exactly the best in the world but the day was wonderful. Drinks are included during the 45 minute or so catamaran trip to the beach. Then drinks are included with the lunch and also during the day at the beach. Drinks are also included on the trip back to the ship. I can tell you the return trip was a bit "louder" than the trip to the beach. Drinks were margaritas, pina coladas, rum punch, and Tecate beer. We aren't fans of Tecate but the other drinks were pretty good. There was also Kahlua at lunch which went quite well in the coffee. (It was a big bottle and you just added whatever you wanted.) I also had a couple of shots of Cazadores as I saw they had it at one of the serving stations.

We had a wonderful day on the beach, There are loungers, snorkeling, stand-up paddle boards, kayaks, tubes... I don't remember the cost - maybe $100 each. We had a really wonderful and relaxing day.

We heartily endorse Las Caletas as well. Great day in a beautiful spot. We are eagerly looking forward to a repeat visit. Did you have the "Mexican Rolling Stones" on the boat trip back??:eek::D

We heartily endorse Las Caletas as well. Great day in a beautiful spot. We are eagerly looking forward to a repeat visit. Did you have the "Mexican Rolling Stones" on the boat trip back??:eek::D

Something of that sort, yes. We also had a young woman (mid 20's?) who appeared to be traveling with her parents. She had apparently liberally availed herself of the free-flowing liquor and decided to get up "on stage" with the entertainment. She was a bit over the top and it looked like she was about to try to lap dance one of the crew who was doing the entertainment but, fortunately, either her parents or someone else "said something" to her and she went back to her seat. It would have made a truly horrible video for her on youtube...

We will probably also return to Las Caletas in the future. On the way back to the ship we took a slight detour as there were several whales right near our path. We had some wonderful viewing from quite close. What a great ending to a great day.

We take a cab to the Malacon and walk south to the river. Some good restaurants on either side of the river and they have nice views. Walk along the river walk, check menus and pick one. Most offer BOGO drinks.

Well, we certainly like Joe Jack's as much as many PV winter residents, but would not categorize their food as "Mexican." although they do have some traditional PV Mexican food like grilled snapper. In fact, Joe Jacks is best known for its very good Fish and Chips (All you can eat on Friday nights) and they also make a pretty decent hamburger. One problem we have making recommendations is that what many US folks think of as Mexican food is probably closer to what lots of us call Tex/Mex.

As to my own recommendations, all of the places we really like are only open for dinner :(. So we shall watch, with some curiosity, to see what other folks recommend. One possibility would be a new small place on Madaro (the name of the street) called Restaurant Adobe. This is a relatively new Mexican food restaurant that has drawn a lot of customers ever since it opened this season. The food is typical of the Mexican cuisine popular in PV (lots of seafood) and the prices are very reasonable. Unlike most of our personal favorites, Adobes is open at lunch time.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I have eaten at Pipi's multiple times and have never been disappointed!

Here is a link to their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pipis-The-Original/147723705293020

We just ate at Pip's on March 18 while in PV. Recommended by relatives and seconded by our favorite Crooner's Bar wait staffer, Ivonne, who is a native of Puerto Vallarta. She recommends it to everyone. It's located at the corner of Pipila and Guadalupe Sanchez 2-3 blocks up from the Malecon. You should see the size of their margaritas!!!

We took the $1 bus, too. Just look for a green bus with the words Malecon, Centro or downtown on the front. Tell the driver where you're headed and he'll alert you to get off. Same for the ride back. Get a green bus that says Sam's Club or Walmart on the front and it will drop you off near the ship. Be prepared for a rough ride on the cobblestone streets, but you can't beat the price.

On Crown 4/11/15-- Any suggestions as to where to walk for Mexican Food? Or will we need to take a Taxi? Two ladies hungry for good Tacos, margaritas....

I went to the restaurant next to the ship. Can't remember the name but it was on the left side of the mercado. You walk up a couple of steps. There is an outdoor seating area as well. The waiter was very nice and kept checking on me. They are very eager to please.

Taco bell, Del taco, Puerto taco, Chipole taco,Mexicano taco, taco taco taco.