"Live" from Westerdam Alaska Sept 21-27, 2013

sue117

A great review and great photos. So nice that the weather and other little inconveniences didn't bother you. It must have been great to share the time with your father as well. My mother wanted to go on the Alaskan cruise with us and my brother told her she was too old and laid a guilt trip on her and she never did get her cruise. So cherish those moments you had.

Thanks again, wish I could write like you do. Start planning your next cruise.

Helen

I did forget to mention though that I really missed the days of the week in the elevators on the Zuiderdam. I loved seeing those.

Oh my gosh! I forgot to mention that as well! I can't believe they aren't using those rugs in the elevators anymore! I thought I had remembered reading it here on the forums somewhere that someone didn't see them. So sad that we couldn't show those to my dad. He was constantly asking what day it was. Not sure if it was because it was a 7 day cruise and not a longer one or what. I wonder if somehow they are "saving money" by not using them and that is why they aren't out? I can't imagine why they wouldn't be. But yes, we missed those too.

SATURDAY-SEATTLE-DISEMBARKATION DAY

We ate breakfast at 730 this morning in the PG. When we went downstairs they just called that people could get off the ship and there was a line of people patiently waiting already. We bypassed all of them and went in for our last breakfast. Of course it’s raining in Seattle. When I looked at the weather map the entire area was covered in green. So it’s a good thing that we’ll be inside at the Pikes Peak Market today.

After breakfast we had about 45 min before we decided to get off the ship. I was impressed that they were sanitizing the heck out of our room. I know, they are SUPPOSED to, but you know that in regular hotels they don’t run the bathtub, fill it with water, add bleach then run the Jacuzzi for 30 minutes. Now THAT is disinfection! So whoever has room 7151 next doesn’t have to worry about my bare butt in the bathtub! It’s all been wiped away! Ha!

Around 9 we grabbed up our stuff and headed down the stairs for the last time. I left an additional tip for Andy and Day the room stewards and we were gone. (the bar guy had already left the sparkling water and champagne for the next guests in our room by that time too! Efficient!)

Our bags were right there in the lime green area waiting for us and we were whisked away in a taxi that was waiting there. By 915am we were at the Homewood Suites and they actually had our rooms ready. Nice!!!

We went out about 10:30 after checking up on email and doing other internet stuff. We headed to Pikes Place market. It was a madhouse! Especially since it was raining! We wandered around a bit. Saw a fish being thrown. Bought some odds and ends (like jalapeno powder for my husband and some “stick” pencils for the stepdaughter). Then we ate at the Athenian for lunch. This restaurant was featured in the movie Sleepless in Seattle. Of course it was busier and louder than it was than when Meg and Tom sat on the red stools! But of course I took a picture anyway!

The Sleepless in Seattle Athenian

null_zpsf2e796c4.jpg

Dad and hubby outside the restaurant

null_zpsa6a2b199.jpg

me and hubby at Pikes Place Market

null_zps133a57c2.jpg

After lunch I bought some HUGE California white grapes. Yummy!! Any that we don’t finish before we get on the plane tomorrow my dad will eat (yes, he will have to finish them before he gets to California and their agriculture inspection stations, but I’m sure he will manage).

We then came back to the room. We had a while before dinner so hubby decided to take a nap! Lol We ARE still on vacation after all! I played around on the Internet for a while and read some.

HUGE yummy grapes

null_zpsef683f31.jpg

We went to dinner at a pizza place near the hotel. Since the University had a home game and the Mariners had a home game tomorrow we stuck close to the hotel. The pizza was delish and we had a pleasant meal. Of course we had to PAY for our food! What’s up with that!?!? Lol

Overall the whole cruise was great. I expected nothing else. My dad had a good time, even though we were fuddy duddies and didn’t do many activities. I told him that he had to do a write up of what he liked and what he didn’t and what he would tell people that might be cruising for the first time in the future. Stay tuned for that report!

So I told you that we "pick noses" for fun. Well this was funny. It was in the market in Seattle and it was showing the "worlds tallest man". I had my husband try to pick the nose, then my dad. You can see the results below.

null_zpsa9d66e94.jpg

null_zpsf0dcd04a.jpg

Fish in Pikes Place Market

null_zpsfd815820.jpg

Thank you all for reading my review. I'm not sure it was much of a review since we didn't really DO anything, so thanks for reading my thoughts. :) If you have any questions please let me know.

Today's weather in Seattle is, you guessed it, rainy. Hopefully the airport won't have any issues with the roof leaking and whatnot and we can get out of here with no issues today. We HAVE to be able to get home as I have an interview at work tomorrow! lol Ugh, work. :) Anyway, if my dad gets his write up done of a first time cruiser and his thoughts I'll post it!

Goodbye to the Westerdam and she heads off for her next adventure.

(taken from our hotel room)

null_zps68dd0411.jpg

Edited by sue117

THANK YOU for the wonderful review.... I felt like I was there with you and loved your attitude and fun spirit. So glad you and your hubby enjoyed each moment and made such great memories with your father!! Again thanks for making me feel like I was right there with you!

Fish in Pikes Place Market

null_zpsfd815820.jpg

Thank you all for reading my review. I'm not sure it was much of a review since we didn't really DO anything, so thanks for reading my thoughts. :) If you have any questions please let me know.

Today's weather in Seattle is, you guessed it, rainy. Hopefully the airport won't have any issues with the roof leaking and whatnot and we can get out of here with no issues today. We HAVE to be able to get home as I have an interview at work tomorrow! lol Ugh, work. :) Anyway, if my dad gets his write up done of a first time cruiser and his thoughts I'll post it!

Goodbye to the Westerdam and she heads off for her next adventure.

(taken from our hotel room)

null_zps68dd0411.jpg

:(-- i too, shead a tear--i was on her for newyears,, and if course would of wanted to stay longer, but to see her sail away like that would be too hard to take---luv'd your review

Edited by maxie99

Oh my gosh! I forgot to mention that as well! I can't believe they aren't using those rugs in the elevators anymore! I thought I had remembered reading it here on the forums somewhere that someone didn't see them. So sad that we couldn't show those to my dad. He was constantly asking what day it was. Not sure if it was because it was a 7 day cruise and not a longer one or what. I wonder if somehow they are "saving money" by not using them and that is why they aren't out? I can't imagine why they wouldn't be. But yes, we missed those too.

We just returned from our cruise on the Oosterdam, and the

day of the week rugs were in the elevators. I took a picture

of these each morning. :D

I enjoyed reading your reviews accompanied with photos.

No worries! We just landed at DFW and weather is sunny. Dad is staying in Seattle tonight and going to Kalaloch tomorrow (on the coast near Forks). He is staying there a few nights and headed down the coast on Tuesday when it's supposed to not be raining. :) he doesn't have definite plans on how long it will take him to get home. He's playing it by ear.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

No worries! We just landed at DFW and weather is sunny. Dad is staying in Seattle tonight and going to Kalaloch tomorrow (on the coast near Forks). He is staying there a few nights and headed down the coast on Tuesday when it's supposed to not be raining. :) he doesn't have definite plans on how long it will take him to get home. He's playing it by ear.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Glad you made it home safely.

Hope your dad enjoys his drive home -- taking a different route.

Yes, dad is going down the coast through CA and then through Utah and AZ and NM and TX and back that way. He might stop by my house on the way. :) If he sends updates I'll post them here so you can see how he is doing too. :)

And by the way, work was ICKY today! lol Just because I WAS back at work. I had to get up with the alarm clock and everything.

BUT the doggies were VERY happy to see us. :)

Yes, dad is going down the coast through CA and then through Utah and AZ and NM and TX and back that way. He might stop by my house on the way. :) If he sends updates I'll post them here so you can see how he is doing too. :)

And by the way, work was ICKY today! lol Just because I WAS back at work. I had to get up with the alarm clock and everything.

BUT the doggies were VERY happy to see us. :)

Hope you can post your dad's travels getting home. Taking a different route makes it more enjoyable -- seeing different places.

Glad your dogs were happy to see you.

So for anyone that might be wondering, here is the update on my dad. :) (and yes, I wish that I was still on the ship! I could totally do a 120 day cruise and be juuuuuuuust fine. Unfortunately that is going to have to wait for retirement. poo)

It rained off and on for the two days I spent at Kalaloch in Washington. I know Kalaloch is known for rain, but this particular storm is the same one that this weekend brought so much snow to Wyoming and the Dakotas.

By the time I got to Oregon, the storm had moved on, and I have enjoyed bright, sunny days along the Pacific coast as I meander down the coast. I spent one evening in Astoria, near the mouth of the Columbia River. I spent two days in Newport, where I enjoyed wide expanses of beach right in front of the hotel, fine seafood dinners, and beautiful sunsets.

Today I continued on down the coast, passing headlands, interspersed with long expanses of beaches. At the Oregon Dunes Recreation Area, I turned in to see the dunes, but saw a sign that said the area was closed. As I was staring at the sign, an Oregon driver came by, rolled his window down, and said, "Ignore that. The gate is open and there's no one around to say otherwise." So, I drove on down the road and saw some of the magnificent dunes, sands accumulated over many, many milenia.

Tonight I am in Coos Bay, the largest town along this stretch of the coast (population about 15,000). At one time, I thought that I might continue on down the coast into California at Crescent City, but after six days along the coast, I've opted for some different scenery. Tomorrow I'll turn inland and head for Medford, Oregon.

null_zps7ee1c26c.jpg

null_zps11c47a8d.jpg

null_zpsc1e1d2c7.jpg

Edited by sue117