Interesting Article in the USA Today regarding Southwest

klfrodo

Well....we've only flown SW once, and that's because they were the same price (not less) then "X", but on SW bags (which we had) flew free. Every other time, SW was NOT the least expensive carrier. Maybe it just depends on the day and the route as many of our friends swear by them.

Edited by marco

Well....we've only flown SW once, and that's because they were the same price (not less) then "X", but on SW bags (which we had) flew free. Every other time, SW was NOT the least expensive carrier. Maybe it just depends on the day and the route as many of our friends swear by them.

I fly regularly between Kansas City (where I live) and Chicago (where my family lives). Three airlines (soon to be four) fly the route - Southwest, American and United. I usually check all three. Southwest is just as often cheaper as it is more expensive, and occasionally the same. It's largely a crap shoot in my experience.

I fly regularly between Kansas City (where I live) and Chicago (where my family lives). Three airlines (soon to be four) fly the route - Southwest, American and United. I usually check all three. Southwest is just as often cheaper as it is more expensive, and occasionally the same. It's largely a crap shoot in my experience.

What's the fuss? t's a crap shoot with any airline. That's why most people actually compare fares for the dates and routes they are flying. Average fares aren't critical. The fares on the date(s) you fly are. Sometimes Southwest is cheaper, especially on certain routes, sometimes not. Sometimes their schedule is better for me, sometimes not. They do have a more flexible policy regarding changing dates and cancellations. We had to cancel a flight due to family health issues, and Southwest gave us a full refund (I'd asked for credit for future travel0. Delta gave us credit, and waived the change fee. Changing flight dates is even easier with Southwest.

That said, I don't always fly Southwest. I am not a big fan of the boarding policy. And they don't have interline agreements for the transfer of bags. But in many cases I still check them out. Really, not big deal.

Edited by Fattony

Yesterday the lowest price on Southwest from DTW to TPA on Friday first part of Dec was 114 and return flight a week later (sat) was also 114 ..... 228 total, not bad.

Today the first leg is still the same (114) but the TPA to DTW ( the same flight number as before - is listed at 293 ...... that is a big jump in price - total 407.

Delta got similar flights (on the same dates, at about the same times of the day) at 270 round trip total.

Few days ago Delta was also over 400.

So the prices go up and down (smetimes) all over the range.

So the prices go up and down (smetimes) all over the range.
Meet your old friends from Econ 101 (or EC10, if you're at Harvard)......Mr Supply and Mr Demand.

Though many, especially in government, try to....no one has yet been able to repeal the law of supply and demand.

And for a solid comment on that, look to Gardyloo's quote in my sig.

Meet your old friends from Econ 101 (or EC10, if you're at Harvard)......Mr Supply and Mr Demand.

Though many, especially in government, try to....no one has yet been able to repeal the law of supply and demand.

And for a solid comment on that, look to Gardyloo's quote in my sig.

Hi.

It has been over 50 years since my Econ 101 - I think I got a B.

My post was no intended to to show the relations of Mr S and Mr D but to relate to the published article that Southwest is not ( as I belived that it was ) a low priced airline..... it is what it is.

Hey, I like your quotes in your sig - they are all true observations.

Edited by wieslaw

My issue with SW is that to go where I want I have to fly out of Newark and I live in Brooklyn with JFK the closest and most of my flying is still out of LGA. Even with checking a bag for $25 the cab fare to/from NJ negates any savings on SW. Even though flying SW I'm changing planes in the same place as planes leaving LGA so I don't understand forcing the route selection our of Newark.

Until I can leave from LGA I won't be flying SW.

My issue with SW is that to go where I want I have to fly out of Newark and I live in Brooklyn with JFK the closest and most of my flying is still out of LGA. Even with checking a bag for $25 the cab fare to/from NJ negates any savings on SW. Even though flying SW I'm changing planes in the same place as planes leaving LGA so I don't understand forcing the route selection our of Newark.

Until I can leave from LGA I won't be flying SW.

Two words....slot allocation.

Market decisions at LGA/JFK/EWR/DCA all revolve around that finite consideration.