Venice tour guide suggestions

1canadiancruiser

My family will be visiting Venice in July, We would greatly appreciate any recommendations you may have regarding finding a tour guide for Venice:cool:

Hello,

With some research including the purchase of Rick Steve's book on Italy (he covers Venice in detail including walking tours that you go on without a guide), you can see Venice on your own. Buy a Vaporetto Pass (the vaporetto is a water bus and is Venice's public transit system. Very easy to use and lots of English is spoken. By doing your own research and following Steve's advice, you can see it all and save the money you would otherwise spend on a guide. Remember that Venice is not very big, and other tourists and residents are very helpful so there is no danger of your getting lost.

Venice is a very easy city to see on your own. You'll find that very few folks use/need tour guides in Venice. You can do the research and idenifify those areas you want to see and just see them on your own. It is a very good walking city and after an hour or two is very easy to figure out how to walk around on your own.

Keith

My family will be visiting Venice in July, We would greatly appreciate any recommendations you may have regarding finding a tour guide for Venice:cool:

I agree with the others posting, no need for a guide. It's better to get lost. There's a surprise around every corner. We use Frommer's Venice Day by Day. It has great self guided walking tours plus all the essential info you will ever need.

Yes, save your tour money for another place. Just enjoy the adventure! When you're tired, hop on the vaporetto and enjoy the ride.... Plus, doing the research in advance can be loads of fun too!

Having said that we really liked the Secret Itinerary Tour of Doge's palace. I ordered tickets in advance and we really enjoyed it. Worth the little more you pay above and beyond admission.

Archived