Alcohol prices on Oceania

decibeldb

Hi all

Just wondering about alcohol prices on Oceania.

Mainly beer and wine as I do not drink spirits or cocktails.

Specifically

a Pinot Noir

Prosecco

Guiness

I drink a fair bit and I looking at a 35 day cruise so the bar bill is an important factor.

Thanks

db

According to the Bar Menu that I picked up in February on the Marina, Beer starts at $3.75 for Bud, Miller, Coors, O'Doul's, $4.75 for Amstel, Corona, Heineken, Buckler and $6.00 for Grolsch.

It looks like they don't carry Guinness.

In the bars, the House red wine (which may or may not be a Pinot Noir on your sailing) is $5.95. Something like a Kendall-Jackson Pinot Noir will run you $8.50

Depending on the area of the World where you are sailing, the wine list will vary, but you can generally find a quality Pinot for about $50, and the Prosecco's start at about $40.

If you are sailing in the Med, you might see an exceptionally light Prosecco in the $35 range, but if you do, jump on it.

If you are trying to estimate costs, you'll also need to factor in the 18% gratuity which will be added to all of the above prices.

Something that we love about Oceania is that wines that you've purchased anywhere on the ship can be "stored" and will be available to you at any of the ships restaurants, bars or lounges.

Hope this helped, have a great cruise! :D

We also like that Oceania has no objection to our bringing local wines on board. We love to have a glass of wine in our cabin as we are unwinding from a day of sightseeing and getting ready for dinner.

Maria posted this link for some menus on another thread

http://www.*****.com/journals/savvy_ship_visits/2011/oceania_marina_panama_canal_211

There was someone who posted the wine lists on this forum a search may find them

you can go to Oceania website

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/nautica/restaurants/default.aspx

click on the restaurant it will show sample wine menus

Sorry for my ignorance with this question, but do I understand correctly that if one buys a bottle of wine on the ship and has a portion of the bottle for dinner, Oceania will store the bottle for future use in a restaurant? Is the same true for wine brought aboard subject to the corkage fee?

Sorry for my ignorance with this question, but do I understand correctly that if one buys a bottle of wine on the ship and has a portion of the bottle for dinner, Oceania will store the bottle for future use in a restaurant? Is the same true for wine brought aboard subject to the corkage fee?

Yes, that is the policy and it works for "imported" wines also.

We also like that Oceania has no objection to our bringing local wines on board. We love to have a glass of wine in our cabin as we are unwinding from a day of sightseeing and getting ready for dinner.

Do I need to bring a corkscrew for wine in our cabin or is one provided somewhere in the cabin or minibar?

Do I need to bring a corkscrew for wine in our cabin or is one provided somewhere in the cabin or minibar?

Your room steward or butler will get you a corkscrew, and keep you well supplied with ice, glasses, munchies, etc.

One good thing that they have is "happy hour" where most drinks are half off.

JIM

I didn't think Oceania had a happy hour. We'll be sailing on Regatta. Does anyone know where this is held and around what time?

I believe it is 5-6 and is available in Horizons and Martinis. This may change slightly depending on port times and other things going on so check the daily program that lists times and the drink of the day.

We get the house wine and get it in two glasses (They want to put a double pour in one glass). That way we have a glass of wine in the bar and take one to dinner.

If Martinis is beyond full, which it can be on some nights, they will usually extend the happy hour prices if you sit in the Upper Hallway outside the boutiques.

I didn't think Oceania had a happy hour. We'll be sailing on Regatta. Does anyone know where this is held and around what time?

Not to worry. You get a daily listing of events which includes which cocktail is being given a particular discount for that day. The times will be given, and they will be valid in any of the bars.

(And it doesn't matter which ship you are on other than that I doubt they coordinate the days when, say, a Manhattan is the drink of the day.)

Others have mentioned that if you buy a bottle of wine, it can follow you around the ship. And if you bring on your own, if you drink it in your cabin there is no charge. And if you bring it into a public venue, there is a corkage fee but the wine can follow you to other bars and restaurants without a second charge.

Mura

Again, remember that if you bring wine onboard there is a $20 corkage fee per bottle.

Only if you take it to the dining venues

No fee to drink it in your cabin ;)

Cruise I was looking at is Cape Town to Singapore.

I do not have to worry about a bottle of wine following me as one bottle will not last a session.

Would they let me take 3 or 4 cases of S. African wine aboard to drink in cabin?

Beer seems a bit expensive, are these pints or small bottles?

I am afraid that as I live in Eastern Europe I have got used to the local prices where a bottle of the local sparkling wine is 5 euro and a half litre of beer is less than 1 euro.

Prices on board a ship are generally more than we would pay at home, and what you pay at home is FAR less than what it costs us at home. Just part of the expense of traveling.

The beer bottles should be the 12 oz size -- I'm not sure how that converts to liters. A quart is about .95 liter and contains 32 oz.

I have heard that people have brought cases of wine on board so my guess is 3 cases wouldn't be a problem, but I would suggest checking with Oceania to make sure. (We've never brought on more than a couple of bottles of wine or liquor so I can't speak from personal experience here.)

Mura

Your room steward or butler will get you a corkscrew, and keep you well supplied with ice, glasses, munchies, etc.

Our travel agent had a bottle of wine delivered to our cabin and it came with a couple of wine glasses and a corkscrew. But JimandStan are correct that your cabin attendant will be more than happy to obtain nearly anything you need, including a corkscrew.

We enjoyed our first bottle in the cabin along with a cheese and cracker tray using room service.

We bought several bottles while ashore in some ports and took some to dinner. There is a $20 "corkage fee" and they will store any leftover wine for you. But we never had any leftovers. :D

The entire cruise experience on "O" makes me smile everytime I recall it.

Cruise I was looking at is Cape Town to Singapore.

I do not have to worry about a bottle of wine following me as one bottle will not last a session.

Would they let me take 3 or 4 cases of S. African wine aboard to drink in cabin?

Beer seems a bit expensive, are these pints or small bottles?

I am afraid that as I live in Eastern Europe I have got used to the local prices where a bottle of the local sparkling wine is 5 euro and a half liter of beer is less than 1 euro.

Whatever the alcohol prices where you live locally, if you have been sailing Seabourne and Crystal, you have been paying considerably more than ANY Oceania passenger for your liquor lately as well as subsidizing your fellow passengers.

If you were to take the easy route and buy ALL of your alcohol from the ship on this cruise, you would still be "in the black" vis a vis what you were paying before.

That being said, the beer is served out of 12 oz bottles, and you may bring any amount of wine onboard as long as you intend to consume it personally.

Hi all

Just wondering about alcohol prices on Oceania.

Mainly beer and wine as I do not drink spirits or cocktails.

Specifically

a Pinot Noir

Prosecco

Guiness

I drink a fair bit and I looking at a 35 day cruise so the bar bill is an important factor.

Thanks

db

Hi

Have just completed cruise on Nautica.

Yes, it is great that you can bring alcohol on board as long as one is sensible about it.

However, if you take it to a dining area there is a corkage charge of $USD20 if I remember correctly.

The wine list is extremely good but the pricing of osme if is horrific especially when they add 18% service fee to it.

We noticed some New Zealand and Australian wine that say seel for $USD20 - $USD30 per bottle were $USD45 - USD50 per bottle plus 18%. Even some of the Italian wines from various areas were at inflated prices.

Everyone needs to make a profit and even when ran a restaurant that served wine our margin was never that high.

One good thing is that if you do not finish the bottle is will kept for the next time you want it. This is good for the red wines we had.

We worked it out if we bought at reasonable red wine for USD30 on baord for 25 days that is $USD750 % 18% is starts to add up.

This was the only major annoyance with Oceania.

Leave it with you

We took the last Cape Town to Singapore cruise. We simply love South Africa's Pinotage. We brought (it took several trips) 10 bottles of Pinotage on board plus some large bottles of hard liquor too (for our pre-dinner drinks)! What we love about O is that there was no hassle...ever. We still purchased several bottles of O wine at the dining table. Might seem excessive...but it was a 35 day cruise!

Archived