Cost of Cocktail & Wine On Hurtigruten Ships

heavyaxle

My wife and I are considering a cruise along the Norwegian coast on a Hurtigruten ship. I understand that liquor is very expensive in Norway. So what would be the price of a gin martini in the bar? A glass of good wine at lunch or dinner? Does it make sense and is it allowed for cruisers to bring their own liquor and drink it in their cabin? Thanks.

I don't know about a drink at the bar, a glass of wine at dinner is around 80NOK ($12) if I recall correctly. I never had any problem bringing a bottle on board to drink in the cabin (it is of course forbidden to bring your own drinks to the public lounges).

Be aware also that you now can't get free tap water in the restaurant (it's 25NOK for a 50cl still water bottle, there are offers available for 1 bottle at each meal during your trip).

Pardon if this doesn't work, this is my first posting of this kind.

I hope I am attaching a link to where you can review the wine list I got from last week.

Edited by Mr. B

I seem to remember I paid around 400NOk for the 'house' red. Perfectly acceptable and I could make it last over two (or even three!) meals.

I know some brought their own on board but I prefer to have a drink with my meal and I don't feel at ease 'furtively' drinking in the cabin.

I appreciate the helpful information. If my conversion is correct, 400 Norwegian kroner equals about $61 US for a bottle of the house wine. That's pretty expensive in my book. My wife and I just returned from a river cruise on the Rhone and Moselle Rivers, which included all liquor. I like a tanqueray martini before dinner and we both had a glass of wine at lunch and dinner. The martini was made as a "double". In the US, these 5 alcoholic beverages would cost around $50 per day outside of the major cities. Sounds like on Hurtigruten, we might be looking at twice that, which makes enjoying my martini in the room seem reasonable.

The price is not particularly a 'Hurtigruten' price, it's a 'Norwegian' price. The simple truth is that alcohol in Norway is expensive when compared with other countries.

This is really true. This being said, it is completely possible to have a wonderful trip without wine during meal (and I'm from France and very very much in favour with a good glass of wine during dinner, but with this prices it really seems to me like a waste of money. But YMMV of course).

This is really true. This being said, it is completely possible to have a wonderful trip without wine during meal (and I'm from France and very very much in favour with a good glass of wine during dinner, but with this prices it really seems to me like a waste of money. But YMMV of course).

A wonderful trip without wine is certainly possible and probably not wholly undesirable in terms of health!

However, I enjoy a glass of wine with a meal and so I look at the cost of couple of bottles over the period of the trip, compare it with the overall cost of the trip, and see that it's relatively insignificant.

Others will have different views and priorities, and that's fine!