Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Australia & New Zealand Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old August 24th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Swimming with Sharks - South Pacific?

Hi,

We are going to noumea,lifou, isle of pines and Vila in December and my husband is interested in swimming with sharks.

Would any of these ports offer anything like that as an option?

We have booked Amadee island for noumea but other than that we haven't booked anything yet.

Also any suggestions for tours/things to do at lifou and isle of pines?

TIA

Old August 24th, 2013, 04:44 PM
5,000+ Club

You need to go to Tahiti for that Pics here

Barry

A review of our 28 day cruise to Tahiti on Pacific Pearl.... Pacific Pearl to Tahiti

Pics of our "3 Queens" cruise with Cunard--May/Jun 2012...Plane, Cunard and train to Germany

Pics of our 14 nights on Voyager of the Seas -- to NZ...On a BIG ship to NZ

A report of the inaugural cruise by Pacific Dawn to Papua New Guinea ports...Pacific Dawn to PNG

Ships sailed on since 2007

P&O Pacific Star
P&O Pacific Sun x 2
P&O Pacific Dawn x 3
P&O Pacific Pearl
P&O Oriana
P&O Arcadia
Queen Victoria
Queen Elizabeth
Queen Mary 2 x 2
Voyager of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas

Old August 24th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I agree with Barry. I don't believe there are any "swimming with shark" tours in the ports you mention. In Isle of Pines you could either go on a tour to the Natural Aquarium (Baie d' Oro) or simply walk to the swimming/snorkelling spot near the sacred rock. Just follow the crowd!

Old August 25th, 2013, 05:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

Yep, none of the places have swimming with sharks. But we were in Lifou a few weeks ago and they closed all the beaches due to a white pointer sighting that morning!!!! Never heard of that before. I don't think that is the sort of swimming with sharks you are after!!!

But if you snorkel, Lifou is the best and Hideaway Island at Port Vila is pretty good as well.

email - psoths@gmail.com

Dream as if you'll live forever.....
Live as if you'll die tomorrow.

Upcoming

09 Nov 2014 - Viking Helvetia - 8 days - Rhine River
01 Dec 2014 - Ocean Princess - 18 Days - Med and Trans Atlantic
23 Dec 2014 - Radiance of the Seas - 12 days - South Pacific Islands
11 July 2015 - Celebrity Eclipse - 14 days - Baltic Sea

Old August 25th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Port Lincoln is where you can swim with sharks. I don't think you even have to pay for it.

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 25th, 2013, 03:29 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz_Steve View Post
Port Lincoln is where you can swim with sharks. I don't think you even have to pay for it.
I think that the OP may have been thinking of a tour where you swim with sharks -- and then afterwards, you get back onto dry land (alive)

Here in Qld -- there are no dangerous sharks (unlike in NSW, WA and SA). This is because the crocs ate them all.

Barry

A review of our 28 day cruise to Tahiti on Pacific Pearl.... Pacific Pearl to Tahiti

Pics of our "3 Queens" cruise with Cunard--May/Jun 2012...Plane, Cunard and train to Germany

Pics of our 14 nights on Voyager of the Seas -- to NZ...On a BIG ship to NZ

A report of the inaugural cruise by Pacific Dawn to Papua New Guinea ports...Pacific Dawn to PNG

Ships sailed on since 2007

P&O Pacific Star
P&O Pacific Sun x 2
P&O Pacific Dawn x 3
P&O Pacific Pearl
P&O Oriana
P&O Arcadia
Queen Victoria
Queen Elizabeth
Queen Mary 2 x 2
Voyager of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas

Old August 25th, 2013, 04:52 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch1 View Post
Yep, none of the places have swimming with sharks. But we were in Lifou a few weeks ago and they closed all the beaches due to a white pointer sighting that morning!!!! Never heard of that before. I don't think that is the sort of swimming with sharks you are after!!!

But if you snorkel, Lifou is the best and Hideaway Island at Port Vila is pretty good as well.

The bigger sharks are having to come in closer to the shore now as their feeding grounds are being fished out by the big corporate fishing fleets.

P&O...12
Princess...11
HAL ...4
Norwegian Capricorn ... 3
RCCL ...2
Cunard ...2
Star Cruises ... 2
Regent Seven Seas ...2
NCL ...1

Don't be afraid to go out on a limb ... Thats where the fruit is.

Old September 10th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Beqa divers at Pacific Harbour in Fiji do shark diving, and are a very professional, well run outfit... I did a shark feeding dive with them while staying at Mana Island.
Not sure how you'd fit it in with a cruise itinerary though, as it's around a 50km drive from Suva.

Old September 10th, 2013, 09:37 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzaw View Post
I think that the OP may have been thinking of a tour where you swim with sharks -- and then afterwards, you get back onto dry land (alive)

Here in Qld -- there are no dangerous sharks (unlike in NSW, WA and SA). This is because the crocs ate them all.

Barry
Or they stay away due to the stingers and Box jellyfish.

Old September 11th, 2013, 12:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

I swam with sharks, unintentionally, while snorkelling in Fiji. They were just the reef sharks, which the locals said were harmless. Nevertheless, I got out the water!

Off our local coast, in NZ, I've seen mako, blue pointer, and one great white - he's been coming here every summer for the past few years. I've even caught (by mistake) a small blue pointer (only about 24 inches long) and been astounded at how quick and how strong they are.

Swim with sharks as a planned activity? No thanks!
Celebrity - 56 days.
Royal Caribbean - 72 days.
"I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky. And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." (John Masefield: "Sea Fever.")

Old September 11th, 2013, 12:41 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Several years ago we went to shark island from Rangiroa (Kia Ora resort) and swam with sharks, sharks brought on the boat, drift diving/snorkeling. It was a great if primitive picnic spot with the food caught and prepared right there. I was preoccupied to distraction with polishing the story to tell the cousin of why his eighteen year old daughter who was traveling with us was actually swimming with sharks! And why we could not stop her! and why we actually paid for her to do this activity. It really was a good outing and all survived the swim with the sharks.

Barbara and Walter
Bowie, Md.

2014Oceanic Discoverer New Zealand South Island
2013 Disney Dream 2012Diamond Princess The Orient route Star Princess Cape Horn Route SA 2011M/V Evolution Galapagos Islands 2011 Uniworld River Duchess Tulips/windmills;2010 Crown Princess Canada/New England;2010 Coral Princess Panama Canal;2009 Oceania Nautica Greece and Turkey;2008 Cunard QM2 Southern Caribbean;2008 Celebrity Constellation Iberia & TA;2007 Majestic American Queen of West ColumbiaR;2006 Princess Star Princess Baltic;2004 Princess Tahitian Princess South Pacific;2003 Viking River Cruises Clara Schumann Elbe R;2002 Coral Princess (Aust) Coral Princess2 Reef;2001 Princess Royal Princess Norwegian Fijords;2000 Jungle Expeditions La Turmalina Amazon R;1999 Disney Magic Bahamas;1998 RCCL Enchanment of Seas Western Carib.;1996 Princess Star Princess (old) Alaska;1994 RCCL Monarch of the Seas Southern Carib;1990 RCCL Nordic Prince Bermuda;1987 RCCL Sun Viking Eastern Carib.

Old September 11th, 2013, 01:37 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie MeMe View Post
Several years ago we went to shark island from Rangiroa (Kia Ora resort) and swam with sharks, sharks brought on the boat, drift diving/snorkeling. It was a great if primitive picnic spot with the food caught and prepared right there. I was preoccupied to distraction with polishing the story to tell the cousin of why his eighteen year old daughter who was traveling with us was actually swimming with sharks! And why we could not stop her! and why we actually paid for her to do this activity. It really was a good outing and all survived the swim with the sharks.
Yes, sometimes we do crazy things or is it that they just appear crazy to others.