2 adults and a 7 month - baggage # and weight?

mpes53

Complete cruise newcomer here. We(2 adults, one 7 month old) are trying to reduce our baggage costs(very small choice of airlines) weight and number wise, and was looking for some advice from the much more experienced folks!

Is it possible to pack everything we may need into the following?

1 checked bag(< 50 pounds)

2 carry ons

1 laptop shoulder bag

1 stroller and 1 car seat gate checked.

Obviously we won't do any adventurous excursions, and won't be doing formal nights either. Any tips on reducing weight would be awesome!

I would say no. The diapers and wipes will take up close to half your checked bag. I recommend just springing for the second checked bag. You do not need to wear a tux and gown to formal night BTW. The MDR is the best place to eat with an infant. The buffet is too much work.

If you are flying in the day before it might be wise to purchase your "baby" stuff after your flight, like diapers and wipes etc. bat 7 months old my baby was exclusively bf, no solids at that point and went to bed around 5 pm. We cruised with him at 10 months and I think he only made 2 of the 7 dinners in the mdr as he was so tired and wanted to be in bed by 5:30-6 pm. he is not one to fall asleep anywhere but a bed, not in a stroller or anything...lucky us. lol. It was fine and it all worked out. Just be flexible. Go with the flow and you can do your own laundry for like $4 a load, wash and dry. And they usually have deals to send the laundry out but detergents might be too harsh for baby. Hope this helps a little...

I would say no. The diapers and wipes will take up close to half your checked bag. I recommend just springing for the second checked bag. You do not need to wear a tux and gown to formal night BTW. The MDR is the best place to eat with an infant. The buffet is too much work.

Thank you, looks like I may have to buy some after the flight. Is the buffet really that much more work? I'd assume one of us would look after the little one, and the other would pile on.

You didn't mention how long your trip is for.

Keith

Sorry, 7 days!

If you are flying in the day before it might be wise to purchase your "baby" stuff after your flight, like diapers and wipes etc. bat 7 months old my baby was exclusively bf, no solids at that point and went to bed around 5 pm. We cruised with him at 10 months and I think he only made 2 of the 7 dinners in the mdr as he was so tired and wanted to be in bed by 5:30-6 pm. he is not one to fall asleep anywhere but a bed, not in a stroller or anything...lucky us. lol. It was fine and it all worked out. Just be flexible. Go with the flow and you can do your own laundry for like $4 a load, wash and dry. And they usually have deals to send the laundry out but detergents might be too harsh for baby. Hope this helps a little...

Thanks for the info! Our daughter likes to sleep around 9pm, usually around 10. Sleeps anywhere anyway, only issue is she wakes up almost every couple of hours at night, but I hope its because shes teething... She loves our big stroller(Baby jogger city select) so I just have to figure out whether to by a small one.

Thank you, looks like I may have to buy some after the flight. Is the buffet really that much more work? I'd assume one of us would look after the little one, and the other would pile on.

The buffets range from big to huge. They're very spread out. You may have to get cutlery, drinks and food yourself, depending on the cruise line. This can end up in multiple trips for each person. It can also be difficult to find a table at peak times. It's not very relaxing.

She loves our big stroller(Baby jogger city select) so I just have to figure out whether to by a small one.

Be aware that the cruise ship hallways are verrrry long and narrow.There are often housekeeping carts blocking more than half the width. Here's a couple of pictures: pic pic with housekeeping cart

Only narrow strollers can get down the hall easily.

Is the buffet really that much more work? I'd assume one of us would look after the little one, and the other would pile on.

The buffet requires multiple trips back and forth for each person - so one would stay with the baby while one goes and then the next? It is so nice to be served dinner and actually get to relax and enjoy my family during meals. My first night on a cruise with babies, I went to the buffet and one of the head waiters saw me there and insisted that we go to the MDR (he said something along the lines of "parents are the ones who need to sit and relax the most"). We ended up eating every meal in the MDR (and on every cruise ever since).

If you bring a bunch of disposable bibs (can be packed in the outer pockets of suitcases and are light) you won't need as many changes of clothes for the baby.

I don't know the size of your specific stroller, but I would never bring a jogger on a cruise because of the wide wheels. I have taken some huge strollers on cruises (I have twins) but always the most narrow possible. If you get travel bags to put the stroller and car seat in when you gate check them, you may be able to get away with having a bunch of diapers and wipes in those as well.

Best,

Mia

I would definitely make sure that if you're flying in to your embarkation port, make sure to get there the day before so that you can make a trip to a store. You'll need to make sure you have enough diapers/pullups in your child's size, bottles/sippy cups, a little bottle of detergent for washing these, any medications -- you can't rely on the ship's store to have these, especially for the size you need.

I would echo about using a narrow stroller as the hallways are quite narrow.

Also look for a cruiseline that has self-service laundry rooms (Princess and Carnival as well as some premium lines such as Cunard have them). Years later, I still don't trust the laundry service onboard as one member of our family is allergic to regular detergent, plus my daughter and I have items that wouldn't last through regular drying.

I think if you pack just right you should be able to make do with that luggage--especially if you stop for diapers & wipes before embarkation.

When DD was 5 months, she & I flew out of town for 5 days. We used 1 21 inch rolling suitcase, a backpack & purse. Since it was just the 2 of us, I checked the suitcase. We were fine with just that.

For our cruise next month (DD is 2), we will probably take 2 larger suitcases & 1 or 2 rolling carryon ones (plus a tote & her little bag). We are only doing that because we are driving to the port. If we were flying, we'd be checking one larger bag and carrying on 2 roller suitcases & tote.

Archived