Miami Tri-Rail question

CruiserFromPhilly

If you are coming from the north you can transfer from Tri-Rail to Metrorail at the Amtrak/Metrorail Transfer Station at 79 St which will get you to downtown Miami about a mile from the port. Not easy to do with luggage unless you have nothing larger than carry on size. This would probably be a better station to catch a cab from than riding Tri-Rail to where it ends at Miami Airport--I do not believe the flat-rate taxi from MIA to POM applies from the Airport Tri-Rail station. Taxi Fare Finder has the fare ranging from around $38 and up depending on traffic.

(Personally I wouldn't even attempt Tri-Rail with more than one small wheeled suitcase; trains are very crowded on the weekend)

I lived in Miami for 10 years ending not that long ago

dd STILL lives in Miami

Don't do Tri-Rail . . . .

it is NOT worth the extra effort . . . . unless you can accept a BUNCH of aggravation and extra time & steps to save $20

When you switch from the Tri Rail to the Metro to get downtown, it goes through some really horrible, high crime neighborhoods.

Dragging luggage with you screams 'I'm a tourist! Mug me!'.

I agree with the Captain, skip the Tri Rail.

It's pretty bad that the Tri Rail employees are armed with guns.

I respectfully disagree with the above posts.

We did Tri-Rail & would do it again in a heartbeat! We had no problems and it saves a ton of money!!

We did not have any problems and there were a lot of other tourists riding it as well. They have big luggage racks for you to place your luggage on so you do not have to hold it while you ride. We took Tri-Rail both times on our way to the port & back to the airport. Both rides were on a weekend and we had no issues with overcrowding or anything.

There is no way we would pay $38 plus dollars (not including tip for the driver if you choose to tip) when Tri-Rail only costs us $12. :)

I respectfully disagree with the above posts.

We did Tri-Rail & would do it again in a heartbeat! We had no problems and it saves a ton of money!!

We did not have any problems and there were a lot of other tourists riding it as well. They have big luggage racks for you to place your luggage on so you do not have to hold it while you ride. We took Tri-Rail both times on our way to the port & back to the airport. Both rides were on a weekend and we had no issues with overcrowding or anything.

There is no way we would pay $38 plus dollars (not including tip for the driver if you choose to tip) when Tri-Rail only costs us $12. :)

Could you tell me which exit stop to take to get to the POM and also about how much the cab ride would be to get to the port? thanks

Get off the Metro Rail at the Goverment Center station.

It should be a $10 cab ride to the port.

Or at the Goverment Center station hop on the Metro Mover (free) to the Bayside station and have a possibly $3 cheaper cab ride.:p

The new MIA Tri Rail station is open now.

Oh yeah, the Tri Rail has armed Security guards on the trains,

Not every employee has a weapon. Those are the same ones that check passengers tickets.

We have to keep the crazy tourist off the roads.

Edited by fireofficer5

Get off the Metro Rail at the Goverment Center station.

It should be a $10 cab ride to the port.

Or at the Goverment Center station hop on the Metro Mover (free) to the Bayside station and have a possibly $3 cheaper cab ride.:p

The new MIA Tri Rail station is open now.

Oh yeah, the Tri Rail has armed Security guards on the trains,

Not every employee has a weapon. Those are the same ones that check passengers tickets.

We have to keep the crazy tourist off the roads.

Thanks Fireofficer for your help, but I'm a bit confused. I'll be taking the Tri-Rail down from Delray Beach. I was hoping to get off the Tri-Rail and take a cab to the port. You mention the Metro-mover which I have no idea where or what that is......can you explain further how to get to the POM via the Tri-Rail? thanks

Michael

<deep breath> Let's try it again....

Tri-Rail does not go anywhere near the Port of Miami

You have to get off your train at either the Amtrak/Metrorail transfer station (in a very bad neighborhood on 79 St.) or the Miami Airport station.

If you get off at the former you have two options: taxi (roughly $38 as mentioned above) or take Metrorail to downtown Miami. Should you transfer to Metrorail you would get off at Government Center station where again you have two options: a taxi (no more than $10 as mentioned above) or the Metromover monorail to either the Bayfront Park or Bayside stations. From there you would be walking over the Port of Miami bridge to your ship. (Lots of people do it, depending on the weather and how much luggage they have).

If you continue on to the Miami Airport station your best bet is a taxi (taking public transportation from there requires even more changes). Whether or not there is a flat rate taxi from the Miami Intermodal Center (the fancy name for the transport hub outside the airport) like there is from the airport terminal I do not know. Guessing would be $30-35 fare.

Again I will say: if you have anything more than one carry-on sized wheeled luggage it is very, very impractical to make the Metrorail/Metromover transfers outlined above. If you are hellbent on taking Tri-rail to get to the Miami area, plan on the taxi ride from either 79 Street or the Airport. The Airport will be a longer ride on the train but taxis will certainly be more plentiful, especially if you are going on the weekend.

Edited by fishywood

Philly, Metro Mover is a local over head tram that connects the Downtown Miami business district.

Or TRi Rail to MIA station, then Taxi it to Port Miami.

Metro Rail stations have elevators, escalators and stairs, as do Tri Rail stations.

Lets keep the tourists off the roads.

Edited by fireofficer5

Can the Metromover be accessed from MIA directly to Bayside Market without having to walk more than 1-2 blocks and without having to switch trains/cars at any stations? We were in Bayside Market and surrounds last spring, so we know what the area is like. Difference this time is we'll have a 6 yr old with us. We took a cab last time, but wonder about the Metromover as an alternative the kiddo might like, if its not too dangerous. Not worried about us 2 adults.

Can the Metromover be accessed from MIA directly to Bayside Market without having to walk more than 1-2 blocks and without having to switch trains/cars at any stations? We were in Bayside Market and surrounds last spring, so we know what the area is like. Difference this time is we'll have a 6 yr old with us. We took a cab last time, but wonder about the Metromover as an alternative the kiddo might like, if its not too dangerous. Not worried about us 2 adults.

You certainly don't want to ride it after dark.

Just like any downtown area, ray attention to what you are doing.

I don't know what some wriers think.

Downtown Miami is full of tourist from all over the world.

They world travlers know how to use public transportation.

Americans are afraid to get out of their comfort space.

Lets keep the tourists off the city streets and highways.:D

fireofficer5, BlueHerons,

thanks. so if I've got this right; Metro rail from MIA to Govt Center Station, get off, get on Metro Mover Inner loop line to Bayfront Park Station. This will be at roughly 3pm local time on a Saturday. I'll think about it and will probably decide at the last minute whether to do it or take a cab. Thanks for the input.

BMW

fireofficer5, BlueHerons,

thanks. so if I've got this right; Metro rail from MIA to Govt Center Station, get off, get on Metro Mover Inner loop line to Bayfront Park Station. This will be at roughly 3pm local time on a Saturday. I'll think about it and will probably decide at the last minute whether to do it or take a cab. Thanks for the input.

BMW

I ride the Metromover and TriRail all the time. I take it from Fort Lauderdale Broward Station to Coral Gables and to Sunset Place.

I will only ride it during the day and there are times during the day I've been really concerned about the gang members (tattoos) but of course nothing happened. It does go through really bad areas. Really bad.

Just be aware of your surroundings.